Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 2 Questions About Downtown, One Back In The Day, One Current.

First the days gone buy one. In the late 60's I worked for both National and Mary Jane Shoes. Both were on Woodward, one opposite the Kern Block, one a block or so north. Which was which? Anyone remember? And, was there a Baters Shoes downtown?

Now the current one. Are there any national chain stores on Woodward downtown anymore? Probably 15 years ago, I remember a Foot Locker. Anyone left?

CVS Pharmacy, don't know how national they are. Olga's and Ben and Jerrys.

Stromberg2

CVS is national. According wikipedia they are in 41 states. They are here in CA.

There was a Bakers Shoes on the block N of the Dime Store Block. Chances are I was in both of the stores that you mentioned, but I was just a small kid so I didn't know the names of them. It wasn't until years after Crowley's was gone that I realized hat that store was!

[QUOTE=DetroiterOnTheWestCoast;320674]CVS is national. According wikipedia they are in 41 states. They are here in CA.[/Q'reUOTE]

CVS is in New Mexico too..I'm using the same CVS card that I used in Detroit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Now the current one. Are there any national chain stores on Woodward downtown anymore? Probably 15 years ago, I remember a Foot Locker. Anyone left?
    That Footlocker was there, I believe, up until about 3 or 4 years ago. When I finally got my driver's license I remember going down to downtown Detroit [[by myself, oh my gosh!) because I could and seeing it. However the Merchants Row block where the stores and banks used to be [[Lane Bryant, Grinnell Bros, Himelhoch's, Winkelman's or even Tall-Eez Shoes) there's no national stores now. You've got, in particular order, a convenience store, Bleu nightclub, Oslo [[Sushi place), somethings in the old Himelhoch's store, a Detroit welcome center, and two independent restaurants and an independent women's boutique. Most of those building's are going to need some major TLC if they are ever plan to be used by national retailers again.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That Footlocker was there, I believe, up until about 3 or 4 years ago. When I finally got my driver's license I remember going down to downtown Detroit [[by myself, oh my gosh!) because I could and seeing it.
    Where was there a Footlocker? I can't recall one ever being downtown in my lifetime [[born in the early 80s). I know there was an Athlete's Foot in the Compuware building until about 3 or 4 years ago.

I seem to recall that National was north of Hudson's [[across the street), don't remember Mary Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Where was there a Footlocker? I can't recall one ever being downtown in my lifetime [[born in the early 80s). I know there was an Athlete's Foot in the Compuware building until about 3 or 4 years ago.
    You're right it was an Athlete's Foot...but I thought it was in the same block at the wig store.

Foot Locker was on the other [[west) side of Woodward if my so-called memory is correct.