Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default the most abandoned places on earth [[detroit not here!)

Wow! I am a little insulted that Detroit didn't make the list. Good thing we burn, blow-up, tear down, and destroy all of our vacant buildings so we aren't remembered for our past.

Thanks for sharing mpow, that was a fascinating website. I don't think Detroit could ever be completely abandoned, due to its proximity to an abundance of water [[a necessity of life)!

It makes sense that Detroit isn't on the list. These places are literally deserted, Detroit isn't. Remember, were the 11th largest city in America, that's doesn't spell "abandoned." We still have about 900,000 residents.

Clean up on aisle five.
    Many of those remind me of the Packard plant.

Some of those sites looked kind of spooky, but I should be used to it since I do work near the Packard plant.

Fascinating site mpow, thanks for sharing.

I would have had the same reaction as Izzy "How could Detroit be left out of any abandoned list??!!!
    Then I saw Chernobyl - cities with earthquake danger and destruction- cities with gates preventing entry. I bet all the former inhabitants would even PREFER living in Detroit which brings me to the idea that Detroit should invest in a disaster relations dept and when a place faces natural or man-made disaster quickly move them all to Robinwood St.

The city of Rome was nearly on that list at some point in the past.

During the height of the Roman Emipire [[1st century AD) it had over 1 million residents. Then after the fall of the empire in the 5th century it dwindle down to under 25,000 during much of the dark ages. It remained that low until the Renaissance, when it was still much much smaller than such Italian giants as Florence, Venice, Genoa, Pisa and Naples. It didn't reach a million again until the 19th century, and only in the last 100 years once again grew to about 2 1/2 million to be what it was... the largest city on the Italian Peninnsula.

Detroit is not on that list because we don't have any gates keeping people out.