Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Papa Joe's Gourmet Market scouting Detroit Locations!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...CFRONTPAGE%7Cs

We have a Papa Joe's in Rochester. Very nice food, yet kinda pricey.

They're meats and cheeses are good and they have a huge selection, as well as their catering and gourmet-to-to. But regular groceries are wayyyy overpriced. It's on par with your Vince And Joe's or Nino Salvaggios.

SteveJ Guest

No, its actually way more expensive than Nino's. I understand quality but the one in Birmingham is just a ripoff. They sell for example make your own roasted peanut butter for $7 a lb. At Holiday Market its 3.29 lb. The deli meats there are $2 lb a more than everywhere else. I'm all for quality but this place robs you blind.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    No, its actually way more expensive than Nino's. I understand quality but the one in Birmingham is just a ripoff. They sell for example make your own roasted peanut butter for $7 a lb. At Holiday Market its 3.29 lb. The deli meats there are $2 lb a more than everywhere else. I'm all for quality but this place robs you blind.
    Rob you blind would be ok! Its well beyond that for the most part. There are a few competitive prices and their meat and fish on sale is a decent value. The fish dept. is better than most places around the city. They also carry some items that I cannot find anywhere else in the city, but its not worth shopping there unless I am already going to be in the Birmingham area. I would rather see one of the grocers like Nino's, Westborn or similar move into the city. Unfortunately when due diligence has been done the numbers will end up to be to scary for most retailers.

SteveJ Guest

Speaking of fish, I don't really know of any place in Detroit where they have quality fish. That fish store in Eastern Market is a joke. Its all frozen fish from fish farms in China.

Their prices will seem reasonable next to Whole Paycheck!

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Their prices will seem reasonable next to Whole Paycheck!
    Actually they won't. Whole foods is like Walmart compared to papa joes. Actually I do 90% of my shopping at whole foods and it's not that bad but it's not cheap either.

midtown? downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Speaking of fish, I don't really know of any place in Detroit where they have quality fish. That fish store in Eastern Market is a joke. Its all frozen fish from fish farms in China.
    Blue Bay in Grosse Pointe Woods has very good fish. Its in the old Grosse Pointe Fish Market. Diane is very nice and will let you know where her fish is from and the freshness. Here is a link to her website http://bluebayfishgp.com/

It would be nice to see them take the old farmer jacks location on E. Jefferson & St. Jean area. There is no one in that space and it's huge!! Plenty of room for them.