Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone want to buy a Packard?

SOME TLC? A bit of an understatement

A couple of them seem salvagable. I'm sure someone will purchase a car that isn't too far gone.

SteveJ Guest

You would be surprised what they can do with these and how much money they will get.

GUSHI Guest

Ya at the scrap yard, may fetch a decent amount

Wouldnt' give a plug nickle for a post war Packard. However if someone needs to find a volunteer home for a 1935 era touring car, Ive got a great garage.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Wouldnt' give a plug nickle for a post war Packard. However if someone needs to find a volunteer home for a 1935 era touring car, Ive got a great garage.
    While the prewar Packards are the most desirable, there are quite a few highly desirable postwar Packards! The article is from a 1977 issue of Automobile Quarterly even 35 years ago they knew what postwar Packards were cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    Hmmmm….. Black Gold Man:

I am suspicious of the claim of the car being from Alphonse Capone’s wife.

Biggest clues are in the photo of the “data plate.”

1. These are widely available as reproductions and the data tag shown is definitely the style of data plate used for only 1933 and 1934. The data plate in use from 1926 to 1932 was different and had only three boxes and not four as shown.

1. The top box should have an 8 digit number, not 6. The first four digits denote the body style number and the second set of four digits denote the sequence number of that body style. On the firewall, barely seen in one photo is the 6 digit “thief-proof” number. And somewhere on the engine is a 6 digit engine serial number. This 8 digit number in the top box was done at the factory.

1. The remaining numbers, dealer location and date were stamped or etched/scrawled by hand onto the data plate at the dealership and would not be as neat as this one is. See the photo of the data plate from one of my 1941 Packards as an example

1. Packard dealers [[to the best of my knowledge) never included the name of the first owner on the data plate. So why would this info be added here and now?

1. Data plate was screwed to the car. I have never seen one bolted on from the inside of the car.

Anybody can buy a new data plate and put anything they want to on it. Unless the seller has iron-clad documents [[not copies) of who owned the car at all stages of its life. Lot of questions here. For now, call me very skeptical.
    Name:  Data Plate001 - Copy.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  70.7 KB
    Last edited by Packman41; November-24-12 at 08:39 AM.

I sent along the info to the CL poster we will see what comes of it.

What do you thank the value of a car like this should be without such a clam.

I am not sure what type of car it was but i was watching a show about armored cars.

They said that the first presidential armored car was sized by the government
    from Al Capone. Maybe it was a Packard

I sent along the info to the CL poster we will see what comes of it.

What do you thank the value of a car like this should be without such a clam.

I am not sure what type of car it was but i was watching a show about armored cars.

They said that the first presidential armored car was sized by the government
    from Al Capone. Maybe it was a Packard
    IIRC, the car confiscated from Al Capone and used as a presidential car was a 1928 Cadillac – Capone favored them. See the link provided by Jimaz in post #8.

From the photos the car is a model 733 Sedan Limousine [[body style number 705). Note the divider glass between the front and rear compartments. Also notice that a true limo has LEATHER seating in the front [[durable material for the hired help) while the rear/family area has a much more refined seating material – wool broadcloth.

Value is hard to guess as it all depends on condition, mechanicals, paint, etc. Owner says it is original –can’t really argue with that. So, the price range would be from $30,000 to $65,000 all depending on condition and drivability. A concours level, fresh restoration might bring $100,000. At $150,000, this guy is way off the mark.

Name:  1930 data plate 2.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  29.3 KBName:  1931 data plate.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  62.0 KBWell, whoever restored that red 1930 DC Phaeton, bought the wrong year data plate for that vehicle. They bought the 1933-1934 version with 4 boxes.

They should have purchased the right one from these guys – Pulfer and Williams:
    http://www.pulferandwilliams.com/Tag...rd/Packard.pdf

I have attached photos of a proper data tag used from 1926 to 1932 with 3 boxes and more patent info.

And the restorer should have known better than to use rivets to mount the data plate – he should have used slotted screws.

Very good

Hello BGM:

I posted the link you supplied for the “Capone” Packard to this site www.packardinfo.com to see what the reaction would be.

Everyone is very skeptical that it is Al Capone’s Packard – the data plate has way too many mistakes.

Anyway, one guy from Georgia responded to my post and wrote that he knew the previous owner and had even driven the car. That owner sold it 5 to 6 years ago for about $30,000 and never tried to pass it off as a Capone car. This owner is now trying to do that.