Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default New GAR Building photos from Curbed Detroit and constructin update

It is SO nice to see this happening.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...r-building.php

Excellent! Thanks for the post. Maybe a combined tour with Preservation Wayne as a way to raise funds for their memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    It is SO nice to see this happening.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...r-building.php
    I was working on the windows when those guys came through. I wish we could give tours. It's an awsome building.

Quote Originally Posted by theklep View Post
    I was working on the windows when those guys came through. I wish we could give tours. It's an awsome building.
    theklep - It was thrilling to hear the news about the Mindfield restoration project. A friend of mine is good friends with one of the Mindfield guys and I get occasional GAR updates from her.

I don't know when the GAR closed, but I never recall it being open. Although it's sad to see a beautiful old building boarded for decades, at least boarding and securing can prevent demolition. It's nice to see the pictures of the GAR interior with natural light, too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    Excellent! Thanks for the post. Maybe a combined tour with Preservation Wayne as a way to raise funds for their memorial.
    Thanks for the post Guideboat, good idea! Also, after 37 years as being known as "PRESERVATION WAYNE", Detroit's oldest and largest historic preservation society recently changed their name to "PRESERVATION DETROIT", a name change that better reflects their mission, making people aware of the city's architectural treasures!

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    theklep - It was thrilling to hear the news about the Mindfield restoration project. A friend of mine is good friends with one of the Mindfield guys and I get occasional GAR updates from her.

I don't know when the GAR closed, but I never recall it being open. Although it's sad to see a beautiful old building boarded for decades, at least boarding and securing can prevent demolition. It's nice to see the pictures of the GAR interior with natural light, too cool.
    I never saw it with windows until I pulled the plywood off in December.Everyone on this project is excited to restore and reveal this buildings history. It is really cool to see it in natural light. The patina on some of the woodwork is awesome. Can't wait to reveal more.

Forgive me if anyone posted this already, but the Michigan Historical Preservation Network is bringing 125 attendees to the GAR building on October 12 as part of a fundraiser. The cost is $100 [[$75 for students) and includes a video presentation and a meal. For more details, see the article from Curbed.

Is anyone here going?

for more updates you can also visit Mindfield's official blog dedicated to the GAR building http://gardetroit.posterous.com/

The Detroit Historical Society is offering a tour of GAR Building on October 28.

http://detroithistorical.org/things-...g/gar-building

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    The Detroit Historical Society is offering a tour of GAR Building on October 28.

http://detroithistorical.org/things-...g/gar-building
    Wish I was in town to go! If you or anyone else goes, I would love to see some pictures!

Correction on the date for the Detroit Historical Society tour of the GAR Building...it is October 27...and it is already SOLD OUT!!

My mother, who learned and taught art in that building and always said how much she loved it, will be very happy to be entering it again in a renovated condition after all these years.

Of course, my great great grandfather, who was a GAR member and must've attended meetings and events in the building back when it was brand new, will be unable to attend.

I'm still restoring the windows, the roof is going on, rough carpentry is being completed. This building is amazing. We think the last "remodel" was done in 1964. We found a tradesmens name and date under an aluminum window sill with 1964 on it. I'm looking forward to the events. We may have the main doors open in time for MHPN. We are still finding out new things all the time.

Watching the festivities daily from the DTE building. Great job!

This is fantastic news.

I was actually in there on Saturday volunteering for Blight Busters. IT WAS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!! I checked out all of the floors, including the Silence of the Lambs looking basement. It was creepy as hell down there. The views from the different corners of the building are really cool too. They had guys working on the windows and they showed me how they were treating them and restoring them. Not much interior work completed yet, just a lot of peeling paint and debris but it was so cool to walk into a lot of the rooms and see old floor layouts and how the rooms may have been used. Unforgettable, plus from now on I can look at that building for the rest of my life and say that I had a small part in bringing it back to life.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...week/23241315/

Paper still covers the windows of Republic, executive chef Kate Williams' much-anticipated restaurant in Detroit, but not for much longer. She expects to open "sometime next week," she said Tuesday, shortly after being notified that the state had approved her liquor license.