Restoration at Woodward and Baltimore in Detroit
ATWATER PARK COMING ONLINE »

FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 61
  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Does anyone know if they're opened on Tuesday like they were last year?
    I think that will start up again during the summer months.

  2. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    Heh, thanks! It cracks me up that I really never seen it before. I'm downtown all the time and have for years. I just never made it to that corner before and I'm bummed I've only just discovered it.

    I've been a Downtown flag waver for some time now, bringing people down and showing them how things have changed. People that have not been downtown in 10 or 15 years and just assume nothing is different. When they see so many different areas of the city it really changes their persective.

    Now knowing about EM I have more to learn myself.
    As I like to say this city will suprise you! A little architectual history Shed #2 was designed by Richard Raseman in 1898 and Shed #3 was designed by John Scott in 1922 unfortunately we lost Shed #1 to freeway construction.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  3. #28

    Default

    Eastern Market really is an amazing gem and a fun experience. And I'm not one of these "foodies" known for their endless advocacy of locally sourced foods. One thing I like about Eastern Market? One of thew few places where you will see people from every socio-economic class, cities and suburbs as far as Plymouth, Rochester, and Bloomfield Hills to the city to the inner ring and the little islands of Hamtramck and Highland Park...that, and the remarkably fresh produce at prices unheard of...

    Only thing is parking. But that's part of the charm

  4. #29

    Default

    If you thought it was crazy last Sat. Try this Sunday, Flower Day. I shop the market all the time and as i get older, I tend
    to go during the week and like the winter better, the crowds
    are less hectic. I recommend one Flower Day to everyone,
    that's all you need to experience.

  5. #30

    Default

    @ basementbeat and rjk I was at the Groundbreaking for Whole foods yesterday and the CEO of the Eastern market group was there and said for sure they are bringing Tuesday back, I'm not sure when , but I think he said around memorial week.
    @ p69rrh have you seen , or do you know of any pictures of shed 1 before it was torn down, before the Freeway went in ?

  6. #31
    SteveJ Guest

    Default

    It has definitely got a lot more crowded the past 2 years. I usually go for the stuff from Farmers. There are a lot of people selling stuff that you can buy from Krogers in there and I stay away from that. I'm not really a big fan of the meat there. Seems that the Gratiot Market sells cheap stuff. I haven't found any grass fed beef or anything organic in there.

  7. #32

    Default

    "If you have never been, make a point to pick a good sunny day and go down and check it out. I will be visiting many, many more times."

    If it was a required visit for every suburbanite, we would have a lot less Detroit-bashing and a lot more Detroit-boostering from suburbanites who trash on Detroit. Even if it's not your thing, you can't help but be impressed by the crowd, the vibe and the history of the place.

  8. #33
    SteveJ Guest

    Default

    The crowd is probably 85% suburban there or even greater.

  9. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "If you have never been, make a point to pick a good sunny day and go down and check it out. I will be visiting many, many more times."

    If it was a required visit for every suburbanite, we would have a lot less Detroit-bashing and a lot more Detroit-boostering from suburbanites who trash on Detroit. Even if it's not your thing, you can't help but be impressed by the crowd, the vibe and the history of the place.
    I don't know. I doubt it is 85% suburbanite as SteveJ says, but it is still probably at least a majority suburbanites (I'm guessing he's going by race, in which case I would be counted as suburbanite, even though I adamantly am not. For some reason people choose to ignore the fact that there are tens of thousands of Caucasians who live in Detroit).

    Still, I never understood the perpetual dichotomy that exists with many suburbanites. They can go to the city, have a great, safe, and often unique and memorable time, and still decry it as a shithole as soon as they return home and forbid their children to cross 8 Mile. The sporting events are especially what comes to mind.

  10. #35

    Default

    There may be some in the sports-only crowd that trash the city. But my experience is that most suburbanites who have some connection to the city through the places they frequent have a more nuanced view of the city than the the typical "Detroit it a pit" mindset you get from people who never go to the city. That's why I said the EM should be a required visit for every suburbanite. That way, they would have an impression of the city that's not based on crime, blight or their own prejudices.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    @ basementbeat and rjk I was at the Groundbreaking for Whole foods yesterday and the CEO of the Eastern market group was there and said for sure they are bringing Tuesday back, I'm not sure when , but I think he said around memorial week.
    @ p69rrh have you seen , or do you know of any pictures of shed 1 before it was torn down, before the Freeway went in ?
    It begins again july10th

    http://www.detroiteasternmarket.com/page.php?p=1&s=130

  12. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    There may be some in the sports-only crowd that trash the city. But my experience is that most suburbanites who have some connection to the city through the places they frequent have a more nuanced view of the city than the the typical "Detroit it a pit" mindset you get from people who never go to the city. That's why I said the EM should be a required visit for every suburbanite. That way, they would have an impression of the city that's not based on crime, blight or their own prejudices.
    I doubt a farmer's market would be of interest to people of that calibre. They're all set with their frozen chicken wings and Hungry Man dinners from Sam's Club.

    I just had some guy from Taylor tell one of my employees (a Detroiter like me) that all Detroiters should be put on a barge in the river and sunk. I doubt Eastern Market would do much good for him. Not feeling a lot of love for the suburbs or the things that periodically crawl out of them at all right now

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I just had some guy from Taylor tell one of my employees (a Detroiter like me) that all Detroiters should be put on a barge in the river and sunk. I doubt Eastern Market would do much good for him. Not feeling a lot of love for the suburbs or the things that periodically crawl out of them at all right now
    I'm sure he expected you and the other person to laugh along in agreement.

  14. #39

    Default

    That's hilarious. Not to judge everyone comin out of Taylor, but the folks I know who live there don't exactly have much room to talk. Especially those who live in one of taylors gazillion subsidized apartment complexes, but drive to Detroit every other day to buy and sell dope.

    If they choose not to patronize eastern market, I won't feel bad about it, trust me.

  15. #40

    Default

    That's a point! Folks that think that way will not be compelled, converted or changed. And for sure they are not 'sifting' the good from the bad.... (Sam's Club comment funny - frozen wings and what not... Hah!)
    Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I doubt a farmer's market would be of interest to people of that calibre. They're all set with their frozen chicken wings and Hungry Man dinners from Sam's Club.

    I just had some guy from Taylor tell one of my employees (a Detroiter like me) that all Detroiters should be put on a barge in the river and sunk. I doubt Eastern Market would do much good for him. Not feeling a lot of love for the suburbs or the things that periodically crawl out of them at all right now

  16. #41
    SteveJ Guest

    Default

    Besides Fairway packing, I'm not really sure where to get good meat for a retail customer. Gratiot Central Market is Kmart meats. All they have is the cheap cuts.

  17. #42

    Default

    I don't know...I've gotten some pretty tasty brisket and ribs from Ronnies. The counter that has lots of different Dearborn products is good, too.

    Stromberg2

  18. #43

    Default

    I stumbled across the Eastern Market entirely by accident. I came through the Windsor Tunnel on a Saturday, checked in at the hotel, and took a wrong turn on the way to the Heidelberg Project. Place was buzzing. If I didn't have plans to meet up with someone later I would have stopped to see more of it.

    You are lucky in Detroit to have the Eastern Market. The public and farmer's markets in Vancouver where I live are extremely bland by comparison.

  19. #44

    Default

    The orginal structure was moved to bele isle and was oldest wood structure in country. It was the old horse stable, east side of island. Remember reading it got sold to henery ford village?

  20. #45

    Default

    Tomorrow would be a perfect day to go. 80 and sunny.

  21. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BEEAH View Post
    Tomorrow would be a perfect day to go. 80 and sunny.
    Yea. Cept for the flower day crowd is no fun. I would go another day but flower day!

  22. #47

    Default

    Well, let me tell you, I tried to go today...total chaos! Had to keep going, no place to park anywhere! I hate to even think what Flower Day is like. So, instead I went to Belle Isle plant sale and got some nice tomatoes and flowers, then off to Ernie's Market for a tasty sandwich! Belle Isle sale is also tomorrow, might be nice to give em a little support.

    Stromberg2

  23. #48

    Default

    Dropped my son off at Rocky's this morning at 7 am for work. The back up to exit at Mack was a mile and there was an unmarked cop at the 94/75 split pulling people over. Funny, in all the weekends of dropping my kid off early, I've never seen a cop stopping people for speeding (or anything else).

  24. #49

    Default

    I was there yesterday and it wasn't that bad. Crowded, but there was a nice flow. There's always a percentage of people with carts/wagons who could be a little more curteous about where they leave their cart.

    Chene is a nice alternative to avoid the backups on 75.

  25. #50

    Default

    Give Detroit Mercantile a look if you're at the market . We gave it a peek on Friday, looks like a Great addition to the area !

    http://www.facebook.com/TheDetroitMercantileCo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES! [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.