Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Can you identify this car????

Name:  HPIM0460.jpg
Views: 3546
Size:  46.5 KB

Thanks Tom 251-786-9393

Front end looks like it could be either a Nash [[AMC) Rambler or a Plymouth Valient. Early 60's varity

This is a 1965 Plymouth Valient...very close. This is going to be hard with just the front view. Can you get a pic of the rear? Look how close the steering wheel is to the roof, might be a foreign car?
    Last edited by RaumVogel; May-14-12 at 07:58 AM.

Headlights not quite the same, frame shape goes around to the sides. I agree 65, but am leaning to Rambler American. Bucket seats give me pause, though, think American stuck with split bench for awhile

OK I am back, checked images, not the 65 American either. Back to the drawing board
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-14-12 at 08:51 PM.

A google search says that moulded plastic bumpers first showed up in 1966 so it would be after that.

This is a concept car from 59-60 New car company in Detroit???

Renault or Simca.

It's definitely not American [[nor an American), but I don't think it's a Renault. I think it's some obscure European or British economy car from around the 1970's. I thought I knew every off-brand sixties European car, but this is a new one. I doubt it's Eastern bloc. Turkish? Indian? This is gonna drive me crazy if someone doesn't figure it out.

Doesn't appear to be a Simca. It does [[aparently) have 5 mph bumpers. At first I thought maybe it was a Cortina, but the running lights in the bumpers are wrong.

hmmm, thats a strange looking thing. Actually has some Mustang characteristicts but looks more like a Cortina. The bumper is unique and those headlights are interesting. Wish I could see the back.
    I dont think its American, maybe Russian or Indian.....

Rambler Hornet

I was thinking the same thing, but the parking lights on the AMC Hornet/Gremlin were in the grill inboard of the headlights. Here, they're below the bumper.

Did some research. There is an English car called a Vauxhill thats is very similar. Notice the background of the pic which is real cool.
    Also found this car was also made or changed and sold as a GM car in Canada under the name Epic-Envoy. This may explain the steering wheel differance.
    Name:  vauxhall.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  47.4 KB

...only the Shadow knows...then again, maybe not.

Could be a mid-late 60's Opel Kadett B, which was imported by GM for Buick dealers.

What's helping to screw up identification is the beat up hood. Both the Opel and the Vauxhall have character lines in the hood that are not shown on the car in question.

Its not a vauxhall.
    I have turned it over to some experts and many are stumped.
    I have new leads but I will check them out Friday.
    Who knows what lurks in the heart of men........
    The Shadow knows hahahahahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Could be a mid-late 60's Opel Kadett B, which was imported by GM for Buick dealers.

What's helping to screw up identification is the beat up hood. Both the Opel and the Vauxhall have character lines in the hood that are not shown on the car in question.
    Yes I see what your saying. Look at the Opel Rekord, its a good match.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Its not a vauxhall.
    What was your first clue?
    Oh I see now, it doesn't look anything like it!

Here are a couple I was able to find that actually do come close, at least in terms of the general shape of the front of the car and the headlight configuration. But neither seem to be IT.

1969 Mitsubishi Colt 1100

1974 Simca 1301 Special

Is there any way to get back to this vehicle?!

The rear tail-lights could possibly reveal a bunch.

Up until relatively recently, the year of manufacture was embossed into the mold...so every car can at least be identified by year at a close glance.

I cannot help but think it has been chopped, the roofline looks ridiculously close to that steering wheel.

I also cannot believe this board has been stumped for so long on this one...heh.

There has to be some kind of ID on the vehicle, somewhere.

OP doesn't seem to want to answer any questions though. Where [[and when) was this picture taken? Somebody mentioned a beat up hood. It's looks more snow covered to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vetteor442 View Post
    This is a concept car from 59-60 New car company in Detroit???
    I wonder if it is a one-off or some sort of kit car. The hood looks to be metal with some flaking paint. The front bumper and quarter panels look like they are a single piece. I'm wondering if that piece is made if fiberglas or some other composite.

Also, it looks as if there are fog lamps in the bumper, but no cut out for the bumper mounts.

Hell, he gave us his phone number. Perhaps typing isn't his strongest communication modality.

The snow makes the dashboard seem higher than it is, but I still think the roofline is too close to the seats.

The plastic bumper really throws me...that is the least congruous of the whole.

I setup a thread on the Antique Automobile Club of America, aaca.org. They seem to be stumped as well.

Maybe it's a Mayan escape vehicle for later this year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast