Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Retailers Head for Exits in Detroit

One of the few remaining bookstores is the massive used-book outlet John K. King has operated out of an abandoned glove factory since 1983. But Mr. King is considering moving his operations to the suburbs.
    Yeah, move to a storefront in suburbia with clean, undusty shelves. Then I'll never consider looking for a book there again.

diver1369 Guest

Ferndale would seem a logical place for Mr. King to move his bookstore to.

Yeah, move to a storefront in suburbia with clean, undusty shelves. Then I'll never consider looking for a book there again
    Oh well, your loss. He will gain more customers if he moves the main operation north of 8. Sad, but true.

depressing... seemingly there's room for independent grocery outlets.. but there needs to be more..

It would also be nice if there were more stores in Detroit that didn't close as soon as the sun goes down. If you need anything after about 9pm you basically have to leave the city to get it...no 24 hour drugstores or grocery stores anywhere near me. In fact, even the fast food places start closing up around 10pm, except for maybe White Castle which is always open.

I love my home city but it's increasingly getting to the point where it's hard to actually *live* here, as opposed to just sleep here.

Quote Originally Posted by diver1369 View Post
    Ferndale would seem a logical place for Mr. King to move his bookstore to.
    You mention this because there is already a John K. King bookstore in Ferndale right?

quote:
    One of the few remaining bookstores is the massive used-book outlet John K. King has operated out of an abandoned glove factory since 1983.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Since the store is open, doesn't that mean the former glove factory is not abandoned? I guess it creates more sensationalism to call it an abandoned factory.

And the mention of Aldi's is some good news in an otherwise bleak outlook on city retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaho View Post
    It would also be nice if there were more stores in Detroit that didn't close as soon as the sun goes down. If you need anything after about 9pm you basically have to leave the city to get it...no 24 hour drugstores or grocery stores anywhere near me. In fact, even the fast food places start closing up around 10pm, except for maybe White Castle which is always open.

I love my home city but it's increasingly getting to the point where it's hard to actually *live* here, as opposed to just sleep here.
    exactly...

Hypestyles and Funaho, it's been that way for some people for a half of a century.

diver1369 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    You mention this because there is already a John K. King bookstore in Ferndale right?
    Touche, MR. BOB