Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Jim Price on radio

Am I the only one who thinks that Jim Price might be the absolute worst announcer in Detroit Tigers history?
    The man is so hard to listen to, he makes me cringe. What is it that 97.1 sees in his announcing that they continue to employ him?
    His lack of enthusiasm, his tired cliches and catch phrases, not to mention his lack of stating the score or framing the situation on the field.
    Have we all been spoiled by listening to Ernie all those years or is he just plain bad?.
    Don't tell me that there is not a single fledgling baseball play by play announcer that can take Dan Dickersons place while we impatiently wait for him to return.
    Please hang it up Jim. Before I smash my radio into pieces.
    Just wondering, is it a coincidence that the Tigers recent poor play coincided with DD going down?
    How does everyone else feel about this?

So many potential conspiracies...

...so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    Just wondering, is it a coincidence that the Tigers recent poor play coincided with DD going down?
    Have you considered it might be The Curse of Tiger Stadium?

1) Wings lose immediately after TRO is lifted by Judge Edwards.
    2) Ilitch puppet, Jim Leland, says he's glad the Queen of Diamonds is finally being leveled, because, as we know, Leland spent so much time at TS and manged Pirates in that lovely old classic ballpark, Three Rivers Stadium. Tigers slide begins in Pittsburgh, coincidentally and The Ilitch puppet can't seem to manage his way out of a paper bag [[not unusal, though -- look what he did at 3 Rivers all those yrs. on its magnificent speedy turf w/players like Bonds and Bonilla in late 80's. Oh yeah -- absolutely nada. The team despised him and Barry finally got the ef out of Pitt and 3 Rivers Prison Yard, as we referred to it when visiting it from NY).
    3) June 2008: Demolition begins in June and continues until Sept. and we find Tigers firmly entrenched in the familiar cellar after being touted as best team in baseball on paper.
    4) Do I need to mention Cards Win in 5 in 2006? [[Again -- Leland's ability to handle rich young players questionable).
    5) Lions never were the same after leaving TS for Superdome, and now -- playing at Ilitch Foxtown Field venue -- set new record for futility.
    6) I hear attendance is way down over at the classy confines of that real classic ballpark, The Coma.
    Last edited by sherryrazor; June-18-09 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that Jim Price might be the absolute worst announcer in Detroit Tigers history?

I used to say that about Al Kaline when he first started. He was very stiff sounding and used the phrase "absolutely, George" a lot. Over the years, he became more comfortable. You're probably used to hearing some of the best guys in MLB history announce the games that it's hard for you to listen to an average guy.

By the way, the Tigers hire the announcers, not the radio station.

I would agree with that except for the fact that he has been doing radio for some time now.
    And he has never improved, in fact he may be worse.
    My bad, I forgot that he is employed by the Tigers, not The Ticket. He must have some good friends in high places to keep that job. Or he's holding some incriminating photos.

Well, to his credit, he has cut down on saying "now THAT'S the art of pitching" a gazillion times throughout the game.

It was excruciating listening to him doing the play by play when DD was out.
    I listened for a couple of innings and that was enough for me.

The Tigers owe their fans more than providing a bad color commentator and then thinking he could handle play by play duties.

I think DD does a great job, Mario is pretty good, Rod is getting somewhat tiresome and Price is awful.

Jim Price is awful...just cause you played b ball doesn;t mean you can announce it well. Same goes for Larry Murphy for the Red Wings. He is a goober! And the guys who annouces for the Wings on radio, that says, " and ah " every other words. He makes me nuts1

Jim Price is a Detroit Tigers World Series Champion, a hero of Tigertown and a font of historical information, who has elected to remain affiliated with his old team and the City of Detroit. He's out in our community raising funds and promoting awareness for autism. What more do you people want?

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Jim Price is a Detroit Tigers World Series Champion, a hero of Tigertown and a font of historical information, who has elected to remain affiliated with his old team and the City of Detroit. He's out in our community raising funds and promoting awareness for autism. What more do you people want?
    Him spending more time out in the community raising funds and promoting awareness of autism. Preferably around 7:00 at night.

I can stomach Price but not Dickerson. The latter is nothing but a screamer. One doesn't have to yell and carry on to convey excitement on the radio. Did Ernie Harwell yell on the air? Bruce Martyn?

I like Dickerson

I don't mind Dickerson. I can't listen to Price for too long. At least he doesn't breathe into the mike as much...

God, enough with the Tiger Stadium curse. It's gone and it's not coming back, ever have a relative die? Let them go and remember the good times.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Him spending more time out in the community raising funds and promoting awareness of autism. Preferably around 7:00 at night.
    Nothing against Jim Price, the man. I applaud his humanitarian efforts.
    There are a ton of people who can be considered historians of Detroit tigers baseball. That does not mean that they make good radio announcers.
    The odd thing is there have been numerous complaints for the past few years in regards to his style. Yet, the only action they have taken is moving him to a commentary only role. This is the kind of thing you normally will see only in the Lions organization.

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    God, enough with the Tiger Stadium curse. It's gone and it's not coming back, ever have a relative die? Let them go and remember the good times.
    Lighten up guy, was it not obvious enough that it was meant as a joke.

Anyone know when Dan's coming back? I really like him. Jim...well...I think he has gotten better.

-- Tim

Jim Price is a nice guy but a crummy announcer.
    Bruce Martyn would scream when the Red Wings scored. He practically had a hernia then.
    Budd Lynch [[the one arm man) was great describing
    Frank Mahavolich and "his piston like legs."
    Price could make a lot of money putting insomniacs to sleep. He's about a good an announcer as he was a catcher compared to Bill Freehan.

Price is paid by Mr. I, not 97.1. I don't care for his PBP but he is knowledgeable about the game. When Ernie's eyesight began to falter, Price would say "wow" to clue him in that the ball was heading out of the park.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20061...ing+broadcasts

Ernie Harwell and Paul Carey. George Kell and Al Kaline or Larry Ostermann. We had it good for decades, now we're paying the price [[ no pun intended )

Don't forget Ray Lane!!!!!

Many former players make lousy announcers, think about Marcus Allen stating how its easier to get a first down when your 3 and 1 as oppose to 3 and 10. Eric Dickerson was awful as well. I remember him saying once that, because he played the game, he knew it was easier scoring a TD without anyone blocking your path. Gee, I never would have guessed that!

Gotta agree, Jim Price is terrible as a PBP guy. Even my mom dislikes him..."Why does Jim Price talk on mike with his mouth full of food?!" I say let John Keating do it full-time until Dickerson gets back.

Ravine Guest

Oh, Yaktown, please don't wish for that; John Keating is as much of a blockhead as is Price, and he knows less about the game.
    As to the hideously rude noise to which your mother referred, I think it shows a terribly childish lack of self-discipline, for a grown man to be unable to hold himself back from eating for the few hours in which Price is expected to be on the air, and while some of you seem to be quite convinced that he's a fairly good guy, I don't think a truly decent person would chew & talk into a live microphone.
    Kind of says, "horse's ass," to me.

Ok then, Bring back Rizz and Rathbun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast