Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2012 Detroit Jazz Festival

This will be my first summer away from Detroit since moving to New Mexico last month. I'm going to really miss this event along with all the other events at Hart Plaza...

http://detroitjazzfest.com/

Just an unbelievable lineup this year. Starting with no less a giant in music history than Sonny Rollins, on down through Wynton Marsalis, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, and on and on. The folks at Mack Ave. Records, Gretchen Valade, artist-in-residence Terence Blanchard, and whoever else was involved in putting this lineup together have really outdone themselves. I hate to rush through the summer, but I can hardly wait for Labor Day weekend.

This year's fest will remain on Hart Plaza; no Campus Martius stage, or rows of vendors up Woodward Ave. The Ford Aud space will be used for a stage.
    The lineup is fantastic, the usual reaction is simply "Damn!"