Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another Store Owner Killed

Feingold shot and killed an intruder trying to rob the store a couple of years ago, Ayala said. Even though it was done in self-defense, Feingold always felt remorseful, Ayala said.

Could this be full circle retaliation from his previous intruder encounter?

No one is going to want to open a business in Detroit. Where was this store located? Was it in a bad area of town?

He was beaten to death and nothing was stolen. I wouldn't be shocked if it were payback.

Nate's store was located on Michigan Ave, east of Lonyo...about 3 blocks east of my dad's store. It's extrememly sad that this had to happen. I worry about my dad every day. I don't really think it's a "bad" part of town, per se. The area has gotten worse in recent years with gun shots to store fronts and robberies, but I think it's a relatively decent little strip of shops along the 1/2 mile or so by Nate's store. Most of the shop owners along Michigan Ave keep an eye on one another and are friendly with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    No one is going to want to open a business in Detroit. Where was this store located? Was it in a bad area of town?

Oh! Your Dad has the antiques store? I grew up with the Bozich family on the east-side.

That guy was quite a character. I've been in his store 5 or 6 times looking for different things over the years. It was always interesting to talk to him as he was a good story teller. The last time I was at his store was last fall and he was talking about how bad the neighborhood was getting and he was about ready to get out.

Beaten with a baseball bat, what a terrible way to go.

I realize that i have also been in that store over the years. I have some things from there and I sold him some toys. He was a big man but looked younger than his stated age. He did consort with a lot of shady characters who brought him things that they had probably stolen. I don't know how he handled all that but I did see the approaches many times. He once had a few architectural things from Michigan Central Station that he was selling for someone else. I am sure those things were scavaged from the station.

Word from the ghetto that the owner from the antique store got in a M.O. with the murder's friend. So in retailiation [[ 2 years later) the murder came into the store with a baseball bat and bust that guy's head and ran off; didn't rob anything!

Default He should have moved

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Word from the ghetto that the owner from the antique store got in a M.O. with the murder's friend. So in retailiation [[ 2 years later) the murder came into the store with a baseball bat and bust that guy's head and ran off; didn't rob anything!
    After that first shooting his instincts probably told him to close up shop and move. He trusted the neighborhood. It failed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    After that first shooting his instincts probably told him to close up shop and move. He trusted the neighborhood. It failed him.
    Really? If this crime was motivated by revenge, it doesn't matter what zip code it's in. I'm sure Bob Bashara's wife thought that living in 48230 was a safe place to live....

http://www.freep.com/article/2012051...text|FRONTPAGE

They may have found the person who killed him.

Nate was a nice guy but had a short fuse at times. I have not been to his shop for some time. Never knew he killed a person during a robbery. He was very proud of his family and heritage. What a tragedy for everyone involved.

Shalom!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Yes, it's a bad area. He had very little, if any security that I could see the one time I was in that store. Obviously, he was buying items from scrappers. He was a sitting duck, this isn't shocking to me at all.

Tough part of town, tough crowd walking right in, no security. Bad situation, I would have found a different job rather then sit in that place.

Well, if you want to call the heavily populated, blue collar side of town bad, than so be it. But chalmers or chene it was not. The store is right on a super busy stretch of mi ave. surrounded by other small businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Well, if you want to call the heavily populated, blue collar side of town bad, than so be it. But chalmers or chene it was not. The store is right on a super busy stretch of mi ave. surrounded by other small businesses.
    Well a week ago there was some guy found shot dead on Michigan Ave a few blocks from the Antique store.

Nate DID have security cameras. So does my dad's store. So do most of the stores in that area. No one would know it, though. The monitors are behind desks and the cameras are well hidden [[you'd be hard pressed to find anything amongst all the stuff in those stores). I've been at my dad's store MANY times at various parts of the day. I have never seen anything to be afraid of, not even the people selling stuff. 99% of the folks that hang out in that area, my dad knows by name. My dad always makes conversation with people passing by when he's sitting outside. I'd say dad has a really good rapport with the folks in that neighborhood. Many cops and firemen hang out at my dad's store, though. Not sure about Nate's.

Nate's murder really shook my dad up. He's promised that he wouldn't be at the store alone, anymore. He's an old man and not as spry as he used to be. He is on guard, though, anytime anyone comes in. He NEVER turns his back to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Yes, it's a bad area. He had very little, if any security that I could see the one time I was in that store. Obviously, he was buying items from scrappers. He was a sitting duck, this isn't shocking to me at all.

Tough part of town, tough crowd walking right in, no security. Bad situation, I would have found a different job rather then sit in that place.

Yeah, but if he was alone how much would the cameras help except to record what happened which could help catch the assailant.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Nate DID have security cameras. So does my dad's store. So do most of the stores in that area. No one would know it, though. The monitors are behind desks and the cameras are well hidden [[you'd be hard pressed to find anything amongst all the stuff in those stores)....

It's better than nothing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, but if he was alone how much would the cameras help except to record what happened which could help catch the assailant.