Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Craigslist Scam Leads Teen Mom to Purchasing a Stolen Car

As the used car business increases, so do the scams. Though using a VIN check services like Carfax could have stopped this [[the best $30+ or so spent when you are purchasing cars). I never purchase a car without doing a vin check and there are alot of folks out there selling [[flipping) cars from their garages that they buy in bulk then resell. Be aware, and be vigilant!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...n-car-20120508

We get some people trying to get cheap cars from us at wholesale prices for flipping purposes.When someone is thinking of trading in a vehicle or C-listing it,I tell them beware of strangers wanting to meet somewhere or test driving the car.This goes double for females.Remember,Carfax only reports what has been reported.If someones brother-inlaw fixes a wrecked vehicle,it won't show up on the Carfax.This comes into play with plpd insurance.It gets dropped and the vehicle gets fixed by whomever,wherever.

Yeah, I was recently looking for a good used car and found it VERY difficult to find legitimate private sellers as I was in the past.

What initially passed for private owners selling their cars were sellers buying cars out of state from auctions etc. and 're-selling' them from their driveways without a dealer or broker liscence. You could tell as the same phone numbers where listing cars repeatedly and no individual sells cars from their home they 'own' all year long! They flip the title from the original seller to you without ever taking ownership themselves. There are many selling cars in this manner in Dearborn and Detroit per what I found using autotrader.com

In a way I could live with that if the cars are free and clear and not stolen. But sometimes the is fraud and theft. Sometimes they have rebuilt and salvage titles. Or from flood prone states you'd not want to purchase a car from! I'd run the vins and see problems, mostly undisclosed accidents.

Many people who have quality used cars are now uncomfortable about selling the car from their home for fear of being ganked for the car on the spot. So more people are just turing their cars into dealerships or brokers - of course receiving less money for them, but avoiding the drama and potential danger of selling a car privately.

Who can blame them with crime as it is? So ultimately, I ended up purchasing my car from a used car dealership - something I loathed to do as the mark-up is appreciable. But I did and at least felt/ fell good that my money went towards a local Detroit business, instead of the suburbs for a change. Of course I ran the vin and discovered a minor accident I was able to negotiate the price downwards accordingly.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-12 at 09:01 AM.

"Remember,Carfax only reports what has been reported."

This is very true. We bought a used Kia Sedona a few years back from what we thought was a reputable car dealer. It appeared to be in good shape. We test drove it. Everything seemed fine. We looked a the Carfax...everything was ok. Bought the car. A short time later, one of the headlights went out. In replacing that, we discovered that the headlight casing had been pieced back together and was glued with some kind of black tarry stuff and looked like a jigsaw puzzle. Everytime we slammed the hatch, dirt fell out of the door. Went to get the tires rotated, and while the car was up on the lift, we discovered the entire underbelly was CAKED with dirt.

Our guess is that it was in a flood...maybe even Hurricane Katrina or one in Florida...timing was about right. But evidently no report was made, and therefore the Carfax showed nothing.

Car has been a POS ever since...four more payments and we are done with it. Anybody wanna buy a minivan??? LOL

^^^^ Yeah neither Carfax or Autocheck are perfect. But I'd never purchase a car from Florida or Louisiana and other flood prone states. I'll take a bit of rust over water damage any day! Some car damage can be rectified and used to negotiate the price down with a dealership. I have a car that was in a minor front end collision disclosed by Carfax and verified when went online I pulled the State Police records per the accident number disclosed in the vin report [[a well spent $10 dollar fee).

I proceeded to buy the car after having a mechanic look at it and it runs great. So all damage is not the end all of a car. But a 'salvage' title suggests major damage...

I've owned two cars with salvage titles. They were both fine.

Yeah, you're right they can be. It's all about determining the nature of the accident, and that is harder when you don't have the original record of accidents ala a salvage or rebuilt title.

A 'salvage' title in some cases simply means the car was determined to be "totaled" [[as defined by an accident either too expensive to repair or an accident that caused damage beyond what can be effectively repaired to bring the car up to driveable, safe standards etc). In some cases it is a close call.

This is especially true for older cars in which a required repair from an accident would be "paid" under an insurance claim ONLY if the value of the car is not "less" then the repair/ restoration costs.

Always take a mechanic with you when buy cars. This teen girl was over her head and popular cars like she purchased are always sold for bells and whistle over substance to the inexperienced buyer.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-12 at 11:44 AM.

on this topic [[a bit on topic anyway) any suggestions for a good used car lot in the city? there are a million of them but its hard to know who is reputable and who is not
    My friends 19 year old daughter is looking to purchase a car for around 3000.00. I told her i would ask on here to see if there are any lots that are better than others

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    on this topic [[a bit on topic anyway) any suggestions for a good used car lot in the city? there are a million of them but its hard to know who is reputable and who is not
    My friends 19 year old daughter is looking to purchase a car for around 3000.00. I told her i would ask on here to see if there are any lots that are better than others
    I'm going out on a limb here and this may get edited,but I've heard good things about Lucky Auto Sales.They are in Pontiac,which is Detroit lite.I know they have cars for $3000.00 and less.Plus they have been around for 59+ years.

^^^^luckycar as the poster, advertising Lucky Auto Sales? I smell a little self-glossing. That's cool - advertise where you can. If they have been in business for 59+ years, they can't be that bad.

My daughter bought a used 2003 Explorer Sport from Law Auto in Wayne back in 2008. No problems except for usual wear and tear.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
    ^^^^luckycar as the poster, advertising Lucky Auto Sales? I smell a little self-glossing. That's cool - advertise where you can. If they have been in business for 59+ years, they can't be that bad.

My daughter bought a used 2003 Explorer Sport from Law Auto in Wayne back in 2008. No problems except for usual wear and tear.
    Self-glossing,sure.It has been 59+ years,and it ain't too bad.