Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Barbershops Targeted again...

Last year and some in 2010 we had several barbershop holdups, one in which one of the perps was shot by a customer who had a concealed carry permit. This hold up was fast with assault rifles... The perps did not even attempt to hide their indentity! This shop near U of D:

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...op-20120507-ms
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-08-12 at 06:26 AM.

You can't run any business in Detroit unless it is from behind bullet proof glass.

If Bush had his way, everybody would be on credit and there would be no cash to rob. Good and bad.

But now it's gotten to the point where only a handful of businesses still need cash on hand as well as cash being the primary medium of exchange. In this case, a barber shop.

Sometimes 'barbershops' are much more than what meets the eye. I'm guessing this is one of those cases.

Going to the barbershop isn't a threat in Metro Detroit, but going to one which is a front operation for the neighborhood numbers racket or supplier of any of a number of gray-market activities most certainly is.

No cheers on this one...at least the gas station that never sold gas is now closed. I thought that was the funniest front ever...and successful for many years.

Cheers

Which dovetails with TK's comments, actually. Numbers and escaping prohibition both require cash, as well. THAT is more the reason why the Powers That Be wish for it to go away.

Then again, how will the CIA fund their little wars without inner-city cash?!

[[another drug plane went down in Mexico recently, with 4 tons of cocaine on-board, all linked very securely to the CIA...)

Ugh.

Yeah, just stick your head thru the hole in the plated glass and let them cut and style away... Hah! It's getting crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    You can't run any business in Detroit unless it is from behind bullet proof glass.

Which gas station closed Gannon? I've not been following the gas station outcomes lately...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    ...at least the gas station that never sold gas is now closed. I thought that was the funniest front ever...and successful for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Which gas station closed Gannon? I've not been following the gas station outcomes lately...

It is on Dexter, probably at Collingwood, if I remember right.

Little dive on the NW corner.

Haven't seen gasoline sold there for many years...but the place was always jumpin'.

I was hopin' he'd franchise the idea.

Cheers!

^^^^ Oh yes. That area is in the high weeds as it were. Hah! Once very nice. I grew up not too far from there.

Sometimes 'barbershops' are much more than what meets the eye. I'm guessing this is one of those cases.

Going to the barbershop isn't a threat in Metro Detroit, but going to one which is a front operation for the neighborhood numbers racket or supplier of any of a number of gray-market activities most certainly is.

No cheers on this one...at least the gas station that never sold gas is now closed. I thought that was the funniest front ever...and successful for many years.

Cheers

We had a funny front a couple of years ago when an arab counterfeiting ring got busted in Montreal and T.O. They were using among other locations, 3 daycares in Montreal to produce false credit cards, driver IDs, passports, etc...

It is on Dexter, probably at Collingwood, if I remember right.

Little dive on the NW corner.

Haven't seen gasoline sold there for many years...but the place was always jumpin'.

I was hopin' he'd franchise the idea.

Cheers!
    There's another one on Ferry Park and 14th that hasn't sold gas in longer than that, in fact they have removed their pumps.

Oh my, Ferry Park and 14th is very rough all thru up thru Linwood and beyond. Could they actually sell gasoline there. I'd not go there to get any.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet_pseudopod View Post
    There's another one on Ferry Park and 14th that hasn't sold gas in longer than that, in fact they have removed their pumps.

LOL, it is different when they remove the pumps! Not the same franchise.

I'll never forget the first time my buddy said to me, look here...you won't ever see anyone pumping gas at that place. And it was true, we would laugh every time.

Neither of us are much concerned with the failed drug war, and if anything, are casual supporters of fronts like this...as long as the government wants to play this game. Same with the barbershops, same guy gave me quite a history...since he used to own a few. LOL.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    We had a funny front a couple of years ago when an arab counterfeiting ring got busted in Montreal and T.O. They were using among other locations, 3 daycares in Montreal to produce false credit cards, driver IDs, passports, etc...

I wonder if they had the children doing the labor, too. That would have been a hoot. A whole army of proteges...imagine their future, starting with forging documents that allow their friends to get past drinking restrictions...yanno, from those I remember doing that in high school, it is quite the career launch. Every one of the license-providers went onto be very successful in life.

They might have been onto something up in Montreal.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-09-12 at 07:40 AM. Reason: too much cheer

Cheers
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...k2FLxeQ#t=189s