Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Fox 2 News Poll; Should Marijuana Be Legal?

There were a lot of people who felt strongly in both ends of the argument on these forums. What do you think? The poll is at the link below, halfway down the page in the right hand column.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/#

Blarf Guest

Of course it should be legal. No rational person would think otherwise.

Legalize that schitt!

To each his own.
    Last edited by Ray1936; January-26-10 at 08:41 PM.

Wow Ray, those are some pretty scary gals, I wouldn't want to willingly touch their lips without having consumed a large amount of booze!

ccbatson Guest

In a libertarian surge on my part, I vote to legalize as well. No rational reason not to.

cheddar bob Guest

Lips that touch liquor shall not touch ours.
    Way ahead of ya. No worries there.

I need a drink after looking at that collection of mugs...

Blarf Guest

I will even take it one step further and say all drugs should be decriminalized/legalized. The "drug war" doesn't work. It won't work. It will never work.

Locking up people who use is a waste of everyone's time and money. And the whole idea is logically flawed and hypocritical, seeing as how we view alcohol abuse as no big deal.

Quote: "I will even take it one step further and say all drugs should be decriminalized/legalized."

You should ask the family of the lady who ran the bar in Warren after some guy needing drug money, stabbed her and smashed her face in with a sledge hammer, how they feel about it.

It once was and should be again.People of all walks of life use the stuff and with anything it is how you use it.Arresting and jailing people who smoke weeds is a waste of resourses.

Oh yeah, what a great retort.

Bring in those who will argue FOR you, yet anyone who opposes them will be seen as heartless/gutless to the extreme.

How weak, Sstash. Leave that poor bar-owning woman's family alone.

Legalized drugs may have HELPED that situation. With an open market, prices would've been lower, and this person may have been less desperate securing more...if he had a legitimate place to go with his addiction, perhaps he wouldn't have lashed out so poorly against the owner of the bar.

Legalize them all, get those who need it help. Help those who seek it. Let all those in prison for silly inconsequential drug 'offenses' out to resume their place in productive society where MOST of them were in the first place.

Cheers

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    You should ask the family of the lady who ran the bar in Warren after some guy needing drug money, stabbed her and smashed her face in with a sledge hammer, how they feel about it.
    Why don't you ask the families of the four people killed in Roseville by the drunken slob how they feel about alcohol being legal and available for adults to purchase and consume.

It's all alcohol's fault, right?

Government should end where our adult bodies begin.

What we chose to put in our body or do with it - booze, drugs, tatooes, fatty foods, healthy foods... ain't nobody's business but our own.

We have enough laws for people who get crazy from excesses. Enforce those.

IMO the only thing that should be banned is any and all advertising of items currently considered controlled substance - including booze, pot, tobacco, currently illegal drugs, and prescription drugs. [If I have to hear of anything lasting more than four hours...well.]

I also support taking a chunk of the billions being wasted in enforcement and incarceration and using it to agressively advertise why none of those substances should be put in one's body.

As a former tobacco junkie, 33 years clean, my decision to quit was greatly aided by ad campaigns back in those days. I can't remember the last time I saw an anti-smoking ad. Why?

Quote: "What we chose to put in our body or do with it - booze, drugs, tatooes, fatty foods, healthy foods... ain't nobody's business but our own."

I follow you to a point. The problem is legalizing some of the highly dependent drugs like crack cocaine and meth amphetamine. The social effects would be horrific. Who would pay for the treatment programs that would surely be required and in large numbers? It would be a catastrophe. One can handle their drugs? Good for them, but they are in a very small minority. When the taxpayers have to start paying for the irresposibility of others then it is their business.

You assume that once legalization occurs everyone will immediately consume to excess everything that was once banned?!

That is one heavily amusing guess...

Here is why the government will not legalize pot.

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/fac...marijuana.aspx

"Marijuana Facts
    [[Pot, Weed)

What is It?
    Marijuana is a green, brown, or gray mixture of dried, shredded leaves, stems, seeds, and flowers of the hemp plant. Marijuana has a chemical in it called tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC. All forms of marijuana are mind-altering [[psychoactive). In other words, they change how the brain works. A lot of other chemicals are found in marijuana, too — about 400 of them, some of which are carcinogenic.46 Marijuana is addictive with more teens in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined.47

Using marijuana can also lead to disturbed perceptions and thoughts, and marijuana use can worsen psychotic symptoms in people who have schizophrenia.48
    Additionally, there are higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thinking among people who use marijuana when compared to people who don't use.49 Teens who started using marijuana before age 15 are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in early adulthood.50 A new study shows that smoking marijuana is associated with a 40% increase risk of psychosis, and the risk is greater among regular and frequent "users.51
    ""

Thinking legalization would be good for society is just wrong.

Ha-ha-ha...thanks, I needed that laugh.

They just posted a follow-up to the story you used as your proof that all drug users will eventually kill for their fix. The guy considered the target of his sledge-bullying to be his girlfriend. He is 44, she was in her late sixties.

You'll have to dig a little deeper than government propaganda and Mania films for your 'facts out-of-context'. There is SO much more to this story, and the government has no tolerance for studies that refute their claims. They have way too much invested in this war [[that'll never be won) to allow true public discourse, study, and governance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

You'll have to dig a little deeper than government propaganda and Mania films for your 'facts out-of-context'. There is SO much more to this story, and the government has no tolerance for studies that refute their claims. They have way too much invested in this war [[that'll never be won) to allow true public discourse, study, and governance.

Mary Jane!! The horror!
    Last edited by zitro; March-23-10 at 08:28 AM.

ccbatson Guest

Legalization/decriminalization, and whether or not it is a good idea for an individual to choose to use this [[or any other) drug, are completely separate topics with likely opposite conclusions.

Blarf Guest

Here is why the government will not legalize pot.

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/fac...marijuana.aspx

"Marijuana Facts
    [[Pot, Weed)

What is It?
    Marijuana is a green, brown, or gray mixture of dried, shredded leaves, stems, seeds, and flowers of the hemp plant. Marijuana has a chemical in it called tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC. All forms of marijuana are mind-altering [[psychoactive). In other words, they change how the brain works. A lot of other chemicals are found in marijuana, too — about 400 of them, some of which are carcinogenic.46 Marijuana is addictive with more teens in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined.47

Using marijuana can also lead to disturbed perceptions and thoughts, and marijuana use can worsen psychotic symptoms in people who have schizophrenia.48
    Additionally, there are higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thinking among people who use marijuana when compared to people who don't use.49 Teens who started using marijuana before age 15 are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in early adulthood.50 A new study shows that smoking marijuana is associated with a 40% increase risk of psychosis, and the risk is greater among regular and frequent "users.51
    ""

Is this suppose to be a joke? Give me a break.

Legalization would be good for society, as I would like to live in a society where we are free to put whatever we want into our own bodies without the government telling us how to live.

Deregulate society? LOL now that is funny.

Default The History Of Weed

Blarf Guest

I also go to abovetheinfluence.com for all my government sponsored facts.

Then criminalize tobacco and alcohol as well, since they are more destructive, more addictive and more dangerous to your health than marijuana is.

From the prestigious medical journal, the Lancet:

Notice where cannabis falls and also take note of where tobacco and alcohol fall on the chart. Now tell me, where is the logic in the keeping marijuana illegal but tobacco and alcohol legal? Seriously, give me one rational, cogent argument for this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast