Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pierogis from Heaven and Beyond

O.

M.

G.

We dropped into the relatively newly opened St. Ce-Ce's bar in Corktown last night, after a rousing time listening to the Codgers at the Gaelic League with some favorite family members, for 'one more' drink.

I only had one at the League, but was feeling it because I'd skipped dinner. Again.

Asked the lovely 'tender about their kitchen, and she said they might be doing something in the future. I asked incorrectly, or she missed that I was desperate for non-liquid nutrition.

Overheard a cool fellow ask if they had any pierogi left.

Found out that they are supporting the Peoples Pierogi initiative. I jumped at the chance to try 'em...obviously motivated by my need...and tried a plate of three larger jalapeno ones.

Delectable doses of devilshly delightful dough-pockets...filled with creamy and smooth goodness inside, with just enough spiciness to force a yearning for more. So, we demanded...LOL...another plate. [[and asked if they could increase the serving size...for any price!)

Makes me want to go back in time to thank everyone from every tradition that added to this fun and easy meal...but especially whomever made these for us.

We're hooked. They are pierogi-crack, sorry to abuse the old analogy, but there is none more apt.

So, find 'em at Eastern Market...or drop in and visit our new partron saint of Corktown, the amazing Cecilia...or any of her partners in imbibing over at the joint formerly called Baille Corcaigh on Trumbull just south of Michigan Avenue.

Cheers, while I bask in this culinary memory still...almost twelve hours later...tasebud's are grinnin' and dancin'.
    Last edited by Gannon; May-07-12 at 09:11 AM.

I was shopping and saw that Dearborn Sausage now makes a potato, cheddar and jalapeno pierogi. yum.

The pierogi's that Dearbon Sausage and Peoples Pierogi sell
    are made at Srodek's in Hamtramak.

When Dearborn Sausage [[formerly known as Dearborn Ham Co.) bought up the old Nietsche's [[German) Sausage Shop in Roseville a few years ago, they picked up many of their old world recipes. Today I roasted up some Hungarian mild [[non-smoked) sausages... pure heaven...

Quote Originally Posted by alf View Post
    The pierogi's that Dearbon Sausage and Peoples Pierogi sell
    are made at Srodek's in Hamtramak.
    Its Celeste who owns St. Ce-Ce's. and People's have stopped using Srodek's to make their Piergoris.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Its Celeste who owns St. Ce-Ce's. and People's have stopped using Srodek's to make their Piergoris.
    Thanks for the correction...I knew when I typed it something was wrong there. I need to write things down, my verbal memory is a sieve...especially when lubed with liquor.

Heck, I never even saw Celeste in sunlight until this year's Nain Rouge parade!

And I missed that comment, because I know they are using at least one local kitchen to make these delights!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Thanks for the correction...I knew when I typed it something was wrong there. I need to write things down, my verbal memory is a sieve...especially when lubed with liquor.

Heck, I never even saw Celeste in sunlight until this year's Nain Rouge parade!

And I missed that comment, because I know they are using at least one local kitchen to make these delights!

Cheers
    Peoples is not using any local kitchen right now. They cannot find anyone to make the pierogis to their standards although I know they are talking with a couple places. I do like what started out as a small marketing tool has bloomed into a local favorite.

I didn't use complete language, sorry...THEY are using the kitchen, not anyone else's labor...from what I gathered. I was talking 'room', you seem to be saying 'team' or business.

I won't claim to know anything at this point, and minorly edited my original post.

Let's just say I had some good pierogi Friday night...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I didn't use complete language, sorry...THEY are using the kitchen, not anyone else's labor...from what I gathered. I was talking 'room', you seem to be saying 'team' or business.

I won't claim to know anything at this point, and minorly edited my original post.

Let's just say I had some good pierogi Friday night...
    Sorry a very good friend owns peoples I was chatting with her about that last weekend. She said her partner was doing all the prep in her own kitchen.