Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Bullhooey? City Airport to get passenger service

Via Crains:

DETROIT [[AP) — Detroit says it's negotiating with a company that wants to return commercial passenger service to Coleman A. Young International Airport.The Detroit Free Press reports today that Mayor Dave Bing's administration says it has a letter of intent from a charter carrier. The company's name wasn't released.Commercial passenger service at the airport, formerly known as Detroit City Airport, ceased in 2000. Private pilots, cargo companies and charter operations still use the airport.

[[Yes, that's all of the article)

Default I wouldn't trust any airline

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    Via Crains:

DETROIT [[AP) — Detroit says it's negotiating with a company that wants to return commercial passenger service to Coleman A. Young International Airport.The Detroit Free Press reports today that Mayor Dave Bing's administration says it has a letter of intent from a charter carrier. The company's name wasn't released.Commercial passenger service at the airport, formerly known as Detroit City Airport, ceased in 2000. Private pilots, cargo companies and charter operations still use the airport.

[[Yes, that's all of the article)
    I wouldn't trust any airline unless it was a name airline like Southwest. I would be specious of a small unknown airline flying out of City -- what are they transporting, drugs?

Well, Spirit, AirTran, JetBlue, etc. all got their starts as "non-name airlines" and worked out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    DETROIT [[AP) — Detroit says it's negotiating with a company that wants to return commercial passenger service to Coleman A. Young International Airport.
    That's as newsworthy as this: I say I'm negotiating with a company that wants to bring unicorns to Belle Isle Park.

Wake me up when there are actual planes and a schedule and PriceLine is selling tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    That's as newsworthy as this: I say I'm negotiating with a company that wants to bring unicorns to Belle Isle Park.

Wake me up when there are actual planes and a schedule and PriceLine is selling tickets.
    The big airports are getting expensive. Perhaps the reorganizations at the City and Airport have brought down the expense of commercial flight from City Airport. Economics work themselves out. And if we do things right, it can be to our benefit instead of against.

A related thought... given the interest in Aerotropolis -- which I think is valid -- it'd be a great time to expand the runways at CAYIA. Far fewer people these days to scream NIMBY. Even those in Warren under any flight paths are more likely to accept the idea of economic development.

It was pretty damn nice though during that rather brief period when commercial airlines did fly out of City. Just a few minutes out of downtown, even less from my part of the east side. Access by transit from downtown. No big airport hassles and long walks and waits. And you were at LaGuardia or Midway before you knew it.

The only problem was ProAir's general crappiness. But if we could get a halfway decent airline back in here, I'd sure be all for it.

GUSHI Guest

I agree, bring it to city

Didn't Southwest come close to a deal a few years back? I thought it was something like runway length that killed the deal?

Leave it at General Aviation use, reclaim E. McNichols for through traffic and change the name back to City Airport.

GUSHI Guest

Sell it to Dan Gilbert, rename it Gilbert city airport.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It was pretty damn nice though during that rather brief period when commercial airlines did fly out of City. Just a few minutes out of downtown, even less from my part of the east side. Access by transit from downtown. No big airport hassles and long walks and waits. And you were at LaGuardia or Midway before you knew it.

The only problem was ProAir's general crappiness. But if we could get a halfway decent airline back in here, I'd sure be all for it.
    EastsideAl, I too found the convenience from the east side to be wonderful on several Southwestern flights back when they were running out of City Airport. The convenience made flying a pleasure... something that cannot be said of Metro...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The convenience made flying a pleasure... something that cannot be said of Metro...
    The TSA hadn't gotten ahold of it then.

I'd gladly fly a commuter out of city airport [[never called it anything else). And if the airline was to market to the locals with discounts, I bet lots of other detroiters would too. Throw in a few shuttles and a cafe with some wi-fi, just a short bus ride away, not having to park the car in some strange lot for a week. Smells like money to me.

That area arond City Airport [[Gratiot and COnner) has tons of commercial potential if City Airport can take off.

I really loved flying out of there in the late 80's, early 90's.

I lived on VanDyke, drove down the street, parked, walked 40', and got on my round trip flight to Midway for $39-.....amongst many other destinations.

Having some semblance of commercial flights out of there would be another small cog in the greater wheel of getting the city moving forward again.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I'd gladly fly a commuter out of city airport [[never called it anything else).
    Seriously. The freeway signs even still say that.

I'm no airport expert but I know people who have flown out of Flint/Bishop for short jobs for cheaper than Metro. Not sure why City Airport can't get its act together in that regard...except more than likely because it is run by the city.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm no airport expert but I know people who have flown out of Flint/Bishop ...
    Toledo and Windsor too.

what about the issues with the runway length? What direction, if any, can the airport be expanded? What can be added on for tax revenue?

What is the point of changing the name back? It would cost money and would be more of a divisive campaign among a small interested minority than anything productive. Anyway: these honorific building names are silly and get more attention than is warranted. I cringe whenever I see footage of elective representatives adopting, or worse, debating the naming of a building or monument or park.

Make it efficient, convenient, and run transit to it and the name won't matter.

So why would the administration propose zero funding for the airport in the proposed budget if they're negotiating with a carrier? Take your pick of the first word. Bull or horse. I think we all know what the second word is.

It was bad enough that they kicked out the first decent FBO [[fixed base operator that the airport had seen in years. No more decent fuel prices.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    So why would the administration propose zero funding for the airport in the proposed budget if they're negotiating with a carrier? Take your pick of the first word. Bull or horse. I think we all know what the second word is.

It was bad enough that they kicked out the first decent FBO [[fixed base operator that the airport had seen in years. No more decent fuel prices.
    I believe the intent was to bring in a 3rd party to manage operations. Granted, no money from the city would imply that the 3rd party could break even or make a profit which, in the airline/airport business doesn't seem very likely.