Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Murals popping up all around Hamtramck

I've heard a number of murals have been popping up all around Hamtramck. Hadn't seen one until this morning. Looks like a work in progress, but what has been done so far looks pretty damn awesome! Any one else seen/have pictures of the others?
    Name:  hamtag.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  26.2 KB

Somebody has also decorated the concrete crash barrier south of the viaduct on Joseph Campau...

I've noticed some very "artsy" stacking of cinder blocks on Caniff near Small's.

Basically, it was supposed to be kept quiet, but a high-profile "muralist" has moved in or near Hamtramck from one of the coasts. Expect to see lots of art crop up all over.

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Looks like graffiti to me. But my eyes are old fashioned, I guess.

I think they're great. I love the welcome to Ham by the viaduct. Looking forward to seeing more.I also like the country tags under the viaduct on the walls. All middle eastern countries. Go see them for yourself. I think they're pretty cool. Looks like they've been there for a while. Can someone tell me where the first one pictured on this thread is?
    Last edited by Django; May-05-12 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Five O'Clock

It's on Holbrook just east of American Axle on the south side of the street. It was nearly completed when we drove past it around 6P last night.

They painted over this piece of art? What a shame.

Name:  Kowalski5.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  19.2 KB

They painted over the poop with the cape? My youth has been stolen!

I really like the new murals!

http://www.12ozprophet.com/news/phot...ls-in-detroit/
    you are witnessing a cultural conflict. belligerents launch first salvo in a sanctioned proxy war over who owns "the street" right here in Hamtramck. Beautification project moving swiftly toward "mission accomplished." Goodson Street is a shot heard round the world. A whole lot of "Here, hold my beer and watch this" yet to come. graf stalwarts are calling out name brand street artists as murders of their culture. :gets popcorn:

Name:  Holbrook Wall Art [[05-05-2012).jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  37.3 KB

The new and the old. Here is the new wall art with the red, neon Kowalski sausage sign on the building in the background.

The viaduct looks stupid now and the Kowalski sign was far superior to the junk that is there now...

The painted Kowalski sign has been gone for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by EZZ View Post
    They painted over this piece of art? What a shame.

Name:  Kowalski5.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  19.2 KB

That wall's plaster and the caped poo-weiner was crumbling. The wall was repaired and painted a primer white a while ago. Not sure if it was painted over in preparation for the new mural. I doubt it.

I bet they painted over it the moment Kowalski moved out of town...didn't they relocate to chase some tax abatement to the east side?!

Of course, that would mean they'd paint over nearly the entire American Axle complex, too...

Why does it look stupid 1953? Please elaborate.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I bet they painted over it the moment Kowalski moved out of town...didn't they relocate to chase some tax abatement to the east side?!
    The Kowalski mural was painted over at least a year ago. Count me among those who never understood the appeal of poop-man.

Kowalski did not leave Hamtramck. A few of my Hamtramck friends feel that the company, like a lot of companies that rely on tax abatement, knows that scaring a city teetering on the brink of bankruptcy into granting tax abatements is good for their bottom line. Expect them to do it every year. It's one of the things that makes my friends who live in Hamtramck feel that Kowalski isn't exactly a "good corporate citizen."

The picture I saw of the viaduct after it was painted made it look childish. My house is on the north end of town, and I don't often get down to the viaduct area...so I haven't seen it in person yet, admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The picture I saw of the viaduct after it was painted made it look childish. My house is on the north end of town, and I don't often get down to the viaduct area...so I haven't seen it in person yet, admittedly.

Well it's a beautiful, well-done piece by two of the world's most respected street artists....... It is definitely worth checking out in person. Watching these guys paint live is a real treat, especially this past weekend....

Already, some of the locals are deciding to deface the murals -- probably because they don't understand them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM2sm...ature=youtu.be

DN... gotta love how they think that taking cell phone images from a public sidewalk is something the police will stop... lol...

What foolishness. As one of my H-town friends said, "I've never seen Hamtramck act so fast on anything."

If only the 555 people had come to "preserve" it, it might not have been defaced.

Amusing slideshow and video at Trustocorp's website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast