Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Customers say they got notepads! Not iPads

Sounds like a scam from within the store ala internal theft or from shipping...? Have shrink-wrap machine and switcherooo! Many commenters say they've been scammed too! Better open package at cash register right after you buy it at Walmart!! http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ds-20120503-ms

Hmmm, something seriously stinks there.

I wouldn't say it's strictly a Detroit-issue of course. It has probably happened in other parts of the country as well.

This happened to one of my coworkers when he ordered a tablet online. It came all nicely packaged, he opened the package and there was a very used, much earlier version of a different brand of tablet in there. Someone must have bought it, took the new one out, put his old one in the box, shrink wrapped it and returned it.

The company he ordered it from replaced it no questions asked.

4. Default

Not strictly a Detroit issue but since it happened to Detroiters it is.

iPads have geo-location capacity which allows you to find it if you lose it via an iPhone or computer running the Lion OS. So one would think that by combining the serial number with the machine address Apple would be able to detect and locate the device once it is switched on.

I am not sure if location services are turned on by default on new iPads and certainly smart thieves would switch that off, but once the device was fenced and the buyer turned it on, they would seemingly be quite traceable.

I guess you have to take our phone and record yourself opening your new electronic purchases - with timestamp. Ridiculous. Or, like Zacha said, open it at the register right after purchasing, so they can't accuse you of taking it home and doing it.

this is a common problem with buying returns which arent checked at the store. but it also happens during shipping, warehousing, packing, even in production! opening the box right there in the store is the way to verify it and/or get a refund on the spot. it has happened with ps3s xboxes gameboys, and just about every electronic sold ever, in every store. people have gotten bricks, rocks, even paper duct taped in a bundle.

Anything that expensive I usually open at the store. Even if the real deal I've seen products badly damaged and we'll just swap right there at the store.

With returns of DVDs and CDs at major stores they are destroyed when returned so they can't possibly be resold.

Buy it at the Apple store. They are the same price everywhere.

If they had used transparent packaging there wouldn't have been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    this is a common problem with buying returns which arent checked at the store. but it also happens during shipping, warehousing, packing, even in production! opening the box right there in the store is the way to verify it and/or get a refund on the spot. it has happened with ps3s xboxes gameboys, and just about every electronic sold ever, in every store. people have gotten bricks, rocks, even paper duct taped in a bundle.
    But the same thing happened at two seperate Wal-Mart stores on completely opposite sides of town.

I get to hear the stories about what customers do at Meijers. This Ipad scam doesn't surprise me at all. Sad part is, some people "support" this sort of nonsense. Justify "getting" the stores because "they" make money.

In a related note, looks for retailers to change policies in regards to scanning awards. All of it completely blessed by the state. There are some real weasels out there that are absusing that law that has been recently changed.

More cases have come forth!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-metro-detroit

In house store theft is always justified that way...... If I was in the market for an Apple product I'd go to the Apple store. I think you'd even do better on eBay than this scam.... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    I get to hear the stories about what customers do at Meijers. This Ipad scam doesn't surprise me at all. Sad part is, some people "support" this sort of nonsense. Justify "getting" the stores because "they" make money.

In a related note, looks for retailers to change policies in regards to scanning awards. All of it completely blessed by the state. There are some real weasels out there that are absusing that law that has been recently changed.