Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Possible George Mason design?

This home at 2497 Field was recently listed for sale, and after taking a good look at the home I started wondering if the house was a Mason design. Although a common feature the 2 story bay windows are a feature foune on many Mason designs and the home is located 3 doors from the Moses Field had me thinking it may be one of his designs. Included are a few of the known Mason designs from around the city with the similar bay windows.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-03-12 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    This home at 2497 Field was recently listed for sale, and after taking a good look at the home I started wondering if the house was a Mason design. Although a common feature the 2 story bay windows are a feature foune on many Mason designs and the home is located 3 doors from the Moses Field had me thinking it may be one of his designs. Included are a few of the know Mason designs from around the city.
    The 2nd one down is a Mason and beautiful. A Ford heir lived there...I think the Krishna one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The 2nd one down is a Mason and beautiful. A Ford heir lived there...I think the Krishna one.
    That would be Alfred Brush Ford... [[Josephine's son).

In the mid-1970's I made an offer on 2497 Field Street. The elderly gentleman who was selling his house said he was only the second owner. He had purchased it years prior from a jeweler. There was much fine, well maintained woodwork, including glass fronted bookcases, stained and leaded glass windows and a gold leafed ceiling in the foyer. The kitchen and pantry with their wooden, glass-doored cabinetry was in basically original shape.

I made an offer that was a bit lower than the ask, but I just knew that they wanted ME to live in their house. I called that one wrong. Turned out, they wanted someone who made a higher offer to live in their house.

I learned my lesson. A year later, when the next house I really liked came up for sale, I offered the full asking price. Things have a way of working out.

2497 Field was occupied in 1930 by Harry Friesema, president of Friesema Printing Company [[evidently a family business). http://quod.lib.umich.edu/g/genpub/a...image&size=300

I wonder if that was the same person you spoke to?