Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Last Ditch Effort to keep a talented new Detroiter here...

Friend moved from out of state to work in Detroit. He wants to stay and currently lives in the city. He's an Aerospace Engin. Grad from Michigan and returned there for an MBA. After years in strategy consulting, most recently with The BCG, he wants to transition to something more fulfilling...philanthropic endeavors or corporate
    initiatives centering on sustainability or community development -- specifically Detroit. A mid- to- high-level position at Kresge, TFA, Skillman, etc. would be ideal, and he's willing to take a sizable cut in pay. Everywhere he's interviewed he's gotten offers, most recently with the Clinton Foundation in NYC. The problem is that everyone gunning for him is out-of-state. Chicago/NYC/San Fran/Mumbai/London,
    etc. But no doors are opening with Detroit.

I'm reluctant to bother the board on this. And Lowell, if the post is in appropriate or in appropriately placed, I will understand if you need to move/remove it. Unfortunately, his last offer is giving him a limited time to decide, so we're all trying to pull out the stops to prevent him leaving the city and the region. If any of you know contacts at corporate departments engaging in community work or philanthropic foundation heads, send me a PM.

It's so tough to find highly educated grads from out-of-state who want to stay in Michigan, let alone live in the city. This one is even willing to taking a paycut to stay. But it has to be for something meaningful. Gilbert, Mott Foundation, whatever. If you can help prevent another engaged Detroiter
    from moving out-of-state, please let me know.

Sandwiches from Mudgies are on me for anyone who can help.

sorry guy, you're an arrogant a**hole to come here for sympathy; and you're instincts were right to not bother here.

there's plenty of talented, educated, motivated people who would like to be in detroit, but aren't because they can not find jobs in their respective fields, my wife and i included.

you already know the answer, but you're friend can stay in the city he's passionate about, or leave for a job he's passionate about.

I'm curious to know why he's having so much trouble? If he can get the attention of the Clinton Foundation then why can't he get someone's attention at any of the major Detroit area philanthropic agenices?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm curious to know why he's having so much trouble? If he can get the attention of the Clinton Foundation then why can't he get someone's attention at any of the major Detroit area philanthropic agenices?
    That's a really good question, and we're both puzzled about the answer. Could be that New York just has their shit together more and our orgs are mired in bureaucracy. Or it could be that they just don't want him. Either way, I would love to find out.

Clinton Foundation, Gates Foundation, United Nations have all flown him in for interviews. I just don't know. His plan B is to see if one of them will let him work remotely, since much of the work is virtual anyway...then take a paycut in exchange for having him fly out once or twice a month.

Thanks to all of you who've PM'd me so far. Keep em coming!

It could even be possible that the organizations here aren't willing to pay the wage he would want. Most companies in Detroit are penny pinching to the 10th power.

He's grossly overqualified for most jobs, judging from the description corktownyuppie gave of his education and experience.
    Last edited by 313WX; May-03-12 at 03:35 PM.

Could it be as simple that the positions he is looking for are already filled by those who have similar qualifications?

My uninformed guess is that these aren't flush times for Detroit-area philanthropy, so there probably aren't a lot of vacancies, and that most of those jobs anywhere get filled via some kind of personal network. I'm positive FocusHope could use his talents [[engineering background likely to be helpful) but of course they have no money.

Hope he finds something suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    sorry guy, you're an arrogant a**hole to come here for sympathy; and you're instincts were right to not bother here.

there's plenty of talented, educated, motivated people who would like to be in detroit, but aren't because they can not find jobs in their respective fields, my wife and i included.

you already know the answer, but you're friend can stay in the city he's passionate about, or leave for a job he's passionate about.
    Your request is hardly arrogant, and its pretty rude to imply that, wish some people would learn to communicate more professionally on here..many do thankfully,
    Good luck to you on your search. Hopefully something will materialize, we need focused people here .

I think he's overqualified. And that's got to be frustrating considering the type of work he's looking for seems to be in ample supply. I have no leads, but hopefully your friend finds something.

While we're on the subject...

20 years experience in radio. Moved back last year & all I have got is a 1 day a week gig that has absolutely no possibility of advancement, more hours or a raise. I was told when I left New York that if it didn't work out back home I could always come back [[but it would be part-time.)

I didn't move back home to then cut my losses & run back. But I haven't even gotten a single call back on part-time $8/hr jobs I send my resume for.

I'm actually thinking that at some point there is a chance I may have no choice but to put my condo up for sale and move back. I want this to work, but without enough coming in to cover my bills [[which are actually very reasonable...)

I'm curious to know why an aerospace engineer is getting a serious look from the foundations mentioned? Generally people in the positions CY describe rise through the ranks of other philanthropies or non-profit orgs. What skill sets does he bring to these foundations that others with years of experience in the field don't?

Good question. It's not the undergraduate aero degree...it's the MBA plus the 7 years in strategy consulting at the executive level with Fortune 500 companies. As the connections are coming in, I'm finding that much of the hiring at the upper levels at these organizations locally are done through networking...which is a bit different than some of the bigger city culture. With your help and some of my other networking leads, he's landed a handful of phone calls from the HR Directors and COO/CEO levels within the organizations, as well as one organization that is talking to him about a position that might not open up til 2014-2015ish...but Clinton Foundation was likely only a 2-3 yr gig anyway, so it might work out.

Thank you to all who've reached out to me. Even if he doesn't land anything here, the process is quite indicative of how different organizational culture is with philanthropies in the midwest vs. east coast vs. west coast.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; May-04-12 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post

What's with the arrogant bit?

If you are talented and educated, your post doesnt deliver much to prove whatever you want to prove. Take the time to read how sloppy your writing is, and maybe take some notes on how corktownyuppie delivers his message before knocking him.

Planning and community development jobs are hard to come by anywhere in the US these days. If this person wants to continue in this field I would suggest aiming his sights a bit lower. You don't go into work like that for the money. You do it because you want to make a difference.

The reality is that there are people much more qualified looking for those jobs and not getting them. These are people with MPA's, or Master's in Urban Planning with 20 years of solid experience. The new government austerity has set in and hit the back office very hard. Most cities are finding it hard to keep police and fire departments staffed. Community and Economic Development is way down the line. I would suggest reviewing the jobs on planning.org.