Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Need Help ID'ing 1955 Packard Photo Shoot Location

Members of the local Motor City Packards club are trying to identify the location for the photo shoot for the 1955 Packard and Clipper car lines.

To me, it looks like a recreation center or a Metropark building.

Packard always made copious use of local settings for their cars, like their executves homes in the Grosse Pointes, on Belle Isle, the Packard Proving Grounds in Utica, etc.

The 1955 photo shoot looked like a definte attempt to put Packards in a more modern and contemporary setting compared to the usual Tudor Revival backgrounds of old.

Anyone recognize this [[most likely) late fall of 1954 photo shoot setting?

Name:  2752.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  50.2 KBName:  2753.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  39.3 KBName:  2754.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  38.8 KBName:  2757.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  40.2 KBName:  9082.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  43.2 KBName:  9084.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  49.7 KBName:  9086.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  53.9 KBName:  9087.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  51.4 KBName:  9089.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  53.0 KBName:  9090.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  57.8 KBName:  9106.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  52.5 KB

My guess is Metro Beach? The pavilion where the pool and watermark is right behind the beach.

Agreed,

Looks like Metro Beach. In the one picture you can see the boardwalk. Plus the style of the building and the concrete look like Metro does in front of the locker rooms.

Yup. I remember that patterned concrete and those water fountains from my youth [[not too many years after these photos were taken).

In this Central Plaza post card view you can see the same etching in the cement.

Attachment 13233

That's my Dad's [[and his buddies) stone work! That's NOT precast.

Thanks to all the D'Yes folks for your suggestion that the location is Metro Park. I read your comments yesterday morning and knew I had an appointment out that way so I took my camera.

The toll booth gal to me to look at the Park Administration Bldg as it is the oldest building there. While I did see the three-lined pattern is a large area of the concrete it is obvious that large sections of concrete have been replaced over the years. See the photo below.

Also, while I did see similar fieldstone work [[not precast or faux) on portions of the building I did NOT see the exact same features of the building, i.e. garage doors, long drinking fountain, etc. Again, it is obvious that the building has been reconfigured over time.

Anyway, IMHO I am 90% certain it is Metro Beach. My only hang up is if this could be at another Metro Park that was constructed about the same time with same architect/builder - say, Kensington Park?

I like the wisdom of crowds.Name:  55 Location Resize.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  45.1 KB

GUSHI Guest

Stoney creek

It can't be Stoney Creek... most of the park buildings were constructed in the mid-60's

It's spelled "Stony Creek." I'd like to know why.

Stony Creek buildings are similar to those but it's not Stony Creek.

I often use Stony Creek lake as a reference when zooming in on a map. I looked for it in an old aerial photo but couldn't find it! Where did it go? Then I remembered it was a man-made lake. It wasn't always there. Doh!

OK panel, how about this photo? I think this could either be in Utica or the East Side suburbs/part of Grosse Pointe? Name:  Packard 1956 400.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  49.6 KB