Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Islandview Pheasants

Hi,
    I want to share my recent blog post [[with photos and video) with you all. These are beautiful birds and besides the shameless plug for my blog I'm curious are pheasants in all areas of the city? For example over on the West Side? Today one was walking in between houses. Population is doing well.
    Here is the link: http://www.detroitvideodaily.com/201...keep-life.html
    Click on the link in the last paragraph to see the photos I uploaded to Flickr. Enjoy!
    -DVD

Woodbridge has got them. I hear them all over the place when I'm on my bike.

What other wild birds are in Detroit?
    Are the Peregrine Falcons still around?

I saw a bald eagle on top of the train station once. But mostly I've just seen pigeons up there.

There are swans on Belle Isle [[although I've heard they are an invasive kind). I've seen Blue Heron out there too.

Otherwise I haven't noticed anything too impressive. No long lost pterodactyls. [[Which honestly I expect to see every-time I go in the vacant Belle Isle Zoo—but it appears you're more likely to see a boxing robot there than a pterodactyl. At least for the last few epochs. Maybe the pigeons will regress.)
    Last edited by laphoque; May-02-12 at 09:03 PM. Reason: +parenthetical

@Laphoque I never knew they were over in Woodbridge. Someone told me once they were kind of exclusive to the East Side. Didn't make to much sense to me. They like the deep grass and brush, so I guess anywhere that is they could be.
    @rjk I haven't heard anything about the falcons in awhile.
    Another of my favorite birds in my neighborhood is the woodpecker. I have know idea how popular they are, but they can get pretty loud pecking away.
    -DVD

I originally joined DetroitYes when I was working on a project documenting bird species nesting in Wayne County [[135 were confirmed). Yes, there are Ring-necked Pheasants all over the city -- probably more than there are in outlying areas of the county. About 245 species of birds [[year round) have been recorded for Belle Isle. Over 250 species have been recorded for Dearborn [[my patch; I run the Rouge River Bird Observtory -- rrbo.org -- at UM-Dearborn). You can take a look at the Dearborn checklist here: rrbo.org/birds

Thanks for the info BirdWoman! Interesting about the number of species on Belle Isle. I checked out rrbo.org, very nice site. Thanks for sharing.
    -DVD

the birds...one of the things I miss the most after my wife and I moved out of our IV carriage house [[bought a home in UD thanks the the banksters greed). They were always in my neighbors yard. We have dogs...

The falcons are still seen around the riverfront apartment buildings off Jefferson. They love to fish in the shallows between the east side and Belle Isle.