Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How is MexicanTown?

I have yet to visit MexicanTown although I frequent Detroit often. I have heard some good stories about this portion of Detroit. Is it fairing better than other parts of the city? I have kept most of my visits to the Downtown/Midtown/Lafayette Park area.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    I have yet to visit MexicanTown although I frequent Detroit often. I have heard some good stories about this portion of Detroit. Is it fairing better than other parts of the city? I have kept most of my visits to the Downtown/Midtown/Lafayette Park area.
    Of all the neighborhoods in Detroit, Mexicantown reminds me most of, say, Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Of all the neighborhoods in Detroit, Mexicantown reminds me most of, say, Brooklyn.
    It reminds me more of Chicago.

Well it sounds like I will need to check this place out with comparisons like this. I am very much contemplating a move to Detroit, but I still need to check out MexicanTown, Corktown, the Villiages, and Palmer Woods. Is Chaldean Town as well regarded as Mexican Town?

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Is Chaldean Town as well regarded as Mexican Town?
    No, not at all. There are few, if any Chaldeans left there. As recently as last year my aunt would get some bread from a Chaldean market there, it's now closed. The neighborhoods are, to use the cliche, shells of their former selves.

When you go to Mexicantown, keep in mind that the official "Mexicantown" isn't really where Mexicans live nor where they keep their business.

Really, think of SW Detroit as a "Greater Mexicantown", interspersed with blacks, Puerto Ricans and some Appalachian whites, and you'll get a better picture.

There are really three, maybe four, Mexicantowns within SW.

So official "Mexicantown" is the area around Bagley just west of the train station. Outside of Honeybee Market [[a very good market, possibly the best in Detroit proper), there's little authentic about the area. Almost no one lives there, and the few restaurants serve tourists.

The second Mexicantown is Vernor/Junction, which is the next generation area, and is much more authentic. This area has good restaurants and ok markets. Highly recommended, though area is very tough and gritty. Mexicans are starting to leave this area.
    The third Mexicantown is Vernor/Springwells, which is the real Mexican heartland. Biggest and most authentic neighborhood. Best variety of restaurants and markets. Really best of everything authentically Mexican. This is where immigrant extended families buy half a block and settle in.

The fourth Mexicantown is Michigan/Martin. This is really a “Mexicantown Lite”, because the area has tons of blacks and whites, and a pretty big Puerto Rican community. But it’s a definite growth area for Mexicans. Michigan Ave [[really mostly south of Michigan) is fast becoming more Mexican.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    It reminds me more of Chicago.
    Yeah, I would agree that SW is quite similar to Chicago West Side. If you've been to Little Village [[Mexican area in SW Chicago), it's basically a larger version of SW Detroit. Same type of architectural profile and vibrancy.

Brooklyn, IMO, feels nothing like SW Detroit. Mexican Brooklyn [[say Sunset Park) feels totally, completely different, in every way [[even the Mexicans are totally different, since NYC Mexicans are from Southern Mexico and Midwest Mexicans are from Michoacan & Jalisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    When you go to Mexicantown, keep in mind that the official "Mexicantown" isn't really where Mexicans live nor where they keep their business.

Really, think of SW Detroit as a "Greater Mexicantown", interspersed with blacks, Puerto Ricans and some Appalachian whites, and you'll get a better picture.

So official "Mexicantown" is the area around Bagley just west of the train station. Outside of Honeybee Market [[a very good market, possibly the best in Detroit proper), there's little authentic about the area. Almost no one lives there, and the few restaurants serve tourists.

The second Mexicantown is Vernor/Junction, which is the next generation area, and is much more authentic. This area has good restaurants and ok markets. Highly recommended, though area is very tough and gritty. Mexicans are starting to leave this area.
    The third Mexicantown is Vernor/Springwells, which is the real Mexican heartland. Biggest and most authentic neighborhood. Best variety of restaurants and markets. Really best of everything authentically Mexican. This is where immigrant extended families buy half a block and settle in.

The fourth Mexicantown is Michigan/Martin. This is really a “Mexicantown Lite”, because the area has tons of blacks and whites, and a pretty big Puerto Rican community. But it’s a definite growth area for Mexicans. Michigan Ave [[really mostly south of Michigan) is fast becoming more Mexican.
    I always thought of Vernor/Junction as the "heart of Mexicantown"... Am I alone in that? Maybe it's generational...

However, the last time I went to the Cinco de Mayo activities in that area [[2009) there were a lot of non-Mexican Latinos in the area, including Afro-Latinos which you don't usually see too much outside of NYC.
    Last edited by iheartthed; May-03-12 at 08:49 AM. Reason: changed "non-Hispanic" to "non-Mexican"

Excellent analysis Bham! In general I find these neighborhoods to be among the most vibrant and walkable in the metro area. And I agree that La Colmena is an amazing market. While Mexican Village, kitty-corner from the market, is a tourist-focused restaurant and not really "authentic", their luncheon burrazo is to die for

When I lived in Detroit before, I had rarely visited this area. Didn't know much about it other than there were some Mexican restaurants where I'd go to eat occasionally. Drive there, park, eat & leave.

Now that I live in Elmwood Park I have been down there a lot more. I like it. It's the part of the city that actually feels like a city. It's walkable. I like it more and more... Now I wish I had been looking for a place there!

are there reasonably priced apartments in the vicinity?

im in the same situation you are jpbollma. i visit Detroit every weekend or so and had assumed it was a fairly strong neighborhood until i saw it for my self. what i saw was a vibrant area with kind people and good families, id defiantly suggest going there, hell im considering moving there [[im currently stuck in the suburbs)

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    However, the last time I went to the Cinco de Mayo activities in that area [[2009) there were a lot of non-Hispanic Latinos in the area, including Afro-Latinos which you don't usually see too much outside of NYC.
    I have noticed this too recently. Maybe some of the Puerto Ricans are Afro-Latinos, or maybe some Dominicans or Colombians are in the area? I have never heard of a large local presence from any of these nations locally.

But race in the Latino community is a complicated subject. I think the vast majority, regardless of appearance, wouldn't consider themselves "black", at least not in the American context.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are there reasonably priced apartments in the vicinity?
    Apartments in SW are dirt cheap. A good resource for apartments is from the local catholic church weekly bulletins. Tons of ads, though often only in Spanish.

Keep in mind that the neighborhood is cheap for a reason. It may be "vibrant" and "urban" for our local standards, but it's tough.

I think some people equate poor black with "bad neighborhood/ghetto/slum". SW Detroit is equally deserving of such descriptions, even if its more Mexicans and hillbillies than blacks. There's all kinds of crazy stuff going on down there.

according to city-data the average rent per month is $484 although you can pick up this little beauty for $12,000 http://www.trulia.com/property/30630...troit-MI-48209

The church bulletin ads have smaller apartments for around $300-$350, all over SW. Weekly rates are common, and usually around $100.

You can even go cheaper, with shares.

A home can be purchased for 10k, or less.

I have noticed this too recently. Maybe some of the Puerto Ricans are Afro-Latinos, or maybe some Dominicans or Colombians are in the area? I have never heard of a large local presence from any of these nations locally.

But race in the Latino community is a complicated subject. I think the vast majority, regardless of appearance, wouldn't consider themselves "black", at least not in the American context.
    I meant to say "non-Mexican". The one person that stands out in my mind in particular was Cuban and he was a recent immigrant. I know a couple of black Panamanians who grew up in Detroit but they are first generation and generally blended into Detroit's African American scene rather than the Hispanic.

It is complicated to fit the American definitions of race to Latin-American racial paradigms. This is probably due in no small part to former African slave countries in Latin America having deliberate policies to homogenize their populations through mixing with European immigrants.

As for what makes a Latino "black"... It really depends on how they choose to identify themselves. I have a few Panamanian friends who identify unabashedly as "black". I have some Puerto Rican friends who identify as black and some who don't. And I have Dominican friends who seem to cringe at being labeled "black" even though their skin tones are as dark or darker than many black Americans that I know.

Anyone know more precisely where this tragic murder may have occurred? Many Eastern Europeans live in the Michigan-Lonyo neighborhoods. Perhaps there?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Anyone know more precisely where this tragic murder may have occurred? Many Eastern Europeans live in the Michigan-Lonyo neighborhoods. Perhaps there?
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...rwkR2t0Gje0www

Thanks. This is terrible. That neighborhood just around the commercial strip seems so settled and quiet.

I suppose SW, like all of Detroit, is closer in architecture and [[historical) density to Chicago than Brooklyn. But for Detroiters, we don't like associating with Chicago. We would much rather make our ties to the east coast, we take pride in the fact that we are in the eastern time zone and that we are 5 hours closer to NYC than Chicago is.

Also, the area north of Michigan, west of Livernois is very latino. There is a decent amount of Mexican restaurants and markets along McGraw.
    Last edited by casscorridor; May-03-12 at 10:45 AM.

I love driving down Vernor- there are always so many people around and it's bustling with activity. Feels like a city should!

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I suppose SW, like all of Detroit, is closer in architecture and [[historical) density to Chicago than Brooklyn. But for Detroiters, we don't like associating with Chicago. We would much rather make our ties to the east coast, we take pride in the fact that we are in the eastern time zone and that we are 5 hours closer to NYC than Chicago is.
    Maybe that's it. I don't much care for Chicago and stay away from it. But when I got back from New York a decade ago and went to southwest Detroit for a meal and some drinks, it reminded me of Brooklyn. Mostly this was due to the scale of Vernor Highway between, say, Hubbard Farms and Livernois: The narrow sidewalks crowded with people, the human-scale businesses open, the slow, patient traffic on the main road, the way businesses were mostly built right up to the street with few curb cuts or park-in-front businesses. Having lived in Brooklyn for the previous six years, that's what it mostly reminded me of.

What's wrong with Chicago? I think it's a far better city to live in than overpriced New York could ever hope to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast