Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Antique detroit street light

I have acquired an antique street light I believe it is a bishop light. I was wondering if anyone can help me reaserch this light when we get it all put together I will post pictures of it. The scroll on it has youngstown ohio and A1275.

Welcome, cartune, to DYes!!!

I think you'll find these old postings on Historic Streetlights in the City of interest...
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/172705.html
    [[be sure to follow the Archive through January 24, 2009 link in the upper left as it appears to have just the info you are looking for!!)

Enjoy!!

Although I mainly dabble in traffic signals, I can't wait to see this streetlight. I have lots of pictures of those too!!!

cartune,

How did you acquire an old Detroit streetlight? I've wanted one for YEARS!

a friend of mine has had it in his pole barn for years and he gave it to my dad

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Welcome, cartune, to DYes!!!

I think you'll find these old postings on Historic Streetlights in the City of interest...
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/5/172705.html
    [[be sure to follow the Archive through January 24, 2009 link in the upper left as it appears to have just the info you are looking for!!)

Enjoy!!
    There was a pic in this thread for Niesners asking the location. Here it is today.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=michig...cbp=12,45,,0,0

Name:  IMG_20120506_133452.jpg
Views: 3282
Size:  72.5 KBName:  IMG_20120506_133459.jpg
Views: 3309
Size:  68.5 KBName:  IMG_20120506_133532.jpg
Views: 3256
Size:  58.6 KBName:  IMG_20120506_133550.jpg
Views: 3474
Size:  56.5 KB here are the pictures of the street lamp I am trying to find out an estimate of it's worth and more information on it.

These are still in service along Vernor E. Yours has the base cut off and is retrofitted with a plate for mounting. The fixture itself is most likely a 1940s/1950s retrofit to replace the orignal fixture. The globe looks to be an acrylic one, OR is glass, but a little dirty, LOL. The worth is what someone would pay for it. I can tell you that from experience in collecting traffic signals. The market fluctuates quite a bit with this stuff. Its all about finding the right buyer.

The city needs to restore the shells of these lamps and rebuild the guts of the post to fit a modern and more energy efficient system. This is one reason why Detroit is still a very unique city. I guarantee you that other big American cities [[as well as small) would buy these used post and display them in parks or someplace if Detroit removes them. Detroit should NOT replace these lamps with a modern style.

If anyone know someone that would be interested in,purchasing the light pole please e-mail me at cwalter14560@midmich.edu

Quote Originally Posted by a100driver View Post
    cartune,

How did you acquire an old Detroit streetlight? I've wanted one for YEARS!

I've seen countless streetllights on W. Outer Drive over the last 5 years, laying at the side of the road after someone drives into one. The city takes their own sweet time picking them up, usually months. This is also a great way to get street-signs. I recommend a battery powered sawzall. An electrical tester might also be helpful.

Before they switched over the old lites in Boston-Edison, downed wooden bishops had a curb life of 4-6 months.

For the really old Bishops, comb those neighborhoods periodically and look for downed wooden lamp-posts. As mentioned, the city takes their time removing them. You will probably need a pickup truck, and assistance, in either case. The wrought-iron booms on those babies are heavy, and about 3-5' long.