Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Recent Roundup of Broderick, Whitney, Capitol Park, and Gilbert projects.

Curbed did some good coverage of the DDP's event yesterday sort of giving a progress report on several downtown redevelopment projects. And get this, they all have streetwall and no parking lots. Crazy thought huh!

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...artet.php#more

Well, if that article doesn't make your day I don't know what will. Great stuff.

Random question...does anybody know if Ilitch has plans to do anything with the Detroit Life Building? I know he said that was going to be rehabbed a few years back, but not surprisingly that didn't occur. It's funny how Gilbert has become everything that Ilitch pretended like he was.

When Ilitch moved his employees into the Fox [[1988) and also obtained the Detroit Life, Blenheim and Varney Apartments, a poll was taken of Ilitch employees. It asked how many might be interested in moving downtown, and more specifically into one or any of these building if they were renovated in lofts/apartments. A high percentage [[about 10% as I recall of the 400 or so employees), said yes, they would be interested. Ilitch & Co. trumped this out to the press, got some good publicity, and the beginning of empty development promises began. Now, granted this is a small sample and no-one answered the poll with gun to their head forcing them to commit, but it was an indication, even back then, that there existed potential if the right person acted as a catalyst. Now, finally, a quarter century later the Sprit of Detroit Gods bring us Gilbert, a man who puts Detroit muscle where his mouth is. As for Ilitch, he coulda been a contendah.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    When Ilitch moved his employees into the Fox [[1988) and also obtained the Detroit Life, Blenheim and Varney Apartments, a poll was taken of Ilitch employees. It asked how many might be interested in moving downtown, and more specifically into one or any of these building if they were renovated in lofts/apartments. A high percentage [[about 10% as I recall of the 400 or so employees), said yes, they would be interested. Ilitch & Co. trumped this out to the press, got some good publicity, and the beginning of empty development promises began. Now, granted this is a small sample and no-one answered the poll with gun to their head forcing them to commit, but it was an indication, even back then, that there existed potential if the right person acted as a catalyst. Now, finally, a quarter century later the Sprit of Detroit Gods bring us Gilbert, a man who puts Detroit muscle where his mouth is. As for Ilitch, he coulda been a contendah.
    I love to see that same poll of the Quicken companies - that would be interesting.