Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Detroit liquor store owner shot dead

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/n...z/-/index.html

How sad. The crooks in Detroit don't even just hold you up anymore. They shoot first, ask for your money after.

50K reward might get someone to roll over, but in the end Detroit loses another business owner and his business to crime while notching another mark in the 187 column.

When will it end?

I get so sick of this shit.

So what happens when the Chaldeans don't want to operate businesses in the city anymore because they're getting killed by the local population? The gas station owners are already scared to death. Even with hyper security unknown in the rest of the civilized world they're still getting massacred. Then when they're gone there will be literally NO retail left. They're all that's going on outside of downtown. There's going to be nothing left to steal in this godforsaken city. Then what?

You don't have to be running a store to face a gun anymore - you can just be driving along an expressway in or near Detroit:

The guy this morning on his way to work on I-94 at Cadieux who pulled off to dislodge a plastic bag causing his minivan to overheat and was robbed at gunpoint right there:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/B...t/-/index.html

The lady driving on Southfield near Oakwood Hospital yesterday who was bumped, got out and two 14 year olds with guns carjacked her. They crashed in Detroit and got away so more mayhem in store:
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/W...j/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    You don't have to be running a store to face a gun anymore - you can just be driving along an expressway in or near Detroit:

The guy this morning on his way to work on I-94 at Cadieux who pulled off to dislodge a plastic bag causing his minivan to overheat and was robbed at gunpoint right there:

The lady driving on Southfield near Oakwood Hospital yesterday who was bumped, got out and two 14 year olds with guns carjacked her. They crashed in Detroit and got away so more mayhem in store:
    All in what, 48 hours, along with God knows what else?

And here come the rotten vegetables...but shit like this SERIOUSLY tempers any excitement I feel over FiatChryler renting out a couple floors downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    All in what, 48 hours, along with God knows what else?

And here come the rotten vegetables...but shit like this SERIOUSLY tempers any excitement I feel over FiatChryler renting out a couple floors downtown.
    Agreed.

If the numbers were adjusted for population shrinkage, Detroit is more dangerous now than it was in the 1970s and 1980s, despite what some people claim.

Wow – 14 year old kids!! I have a 14-year-old son – and all he cares about is playing football, going to the batting cage, and girls [[in that order).

SteveJ Guest

Its just getting worse each day. You keep thinking it can't get worse but it does. I really feel sorry for the people that come in here from different parts of the country and people give them all this positive Detroit talk. I would advise people to live somewhere else. The criminals are running this city.

And don't start blaming the cops. In my opinion the community-appeasing judges deserve a lot of blame and everyone forgets about their role in the crime mess. Just today a Circuit Court judge handed down a pretty short sentence to a 25 yr old who shot a police officer five times. That used to be, in more lawful times in Detroit, a one-way ticket to life in prison. Now it gets you only 14 years:

After Monday's hearing, Matthews derided Boykin's statement. "The guidelines aren't lenient," he said. "The judge was lenient."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1teVlaYd4

And who can forget about Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans who let out a four time felon for a mere $500 for Easter, which time he used to intimidate a witness in his trial for torturing a guy with red-hot forks over a pair of tennis shoes.

Please remember these people when it comes time to vote!

And don't start blaming the cops. In my opinion the community-appeasing judges deserve a lot of blame and everyone forgets about their role in the crime mess. Just today a Circuit Court judge handed down a pretty short sentence to a 25 yr old who shot a police officer five times. That used to be, in more lawful times in Detroit, a one-way ticket to life in prison. Now it gets you only 14 years:

After Monday's hearing, Matthews derided Boykin's statement. "The guidelines aren't lenient," he said. "The judge was lenient."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1teVlaYd4

And who can forget about Circuit Court Judge Vonda Evans who let out a four time felon for a mere $500 for Easter, which time he used to intimidate a witness in his trial for torturing a guy with red-hot forks over a pair of tennis shoes.

Please remember these people when it comes time to vote!
    Part of the problem is the prisons are already filled to capacity, or over-capacited, and the judges pretty much know that the criminals will be released anyway after so long, even if they order them to the harshest sentence in the books.

Either this guy is a complete moron or there is more to the story. He, according to his own statements, is so terrified of driving through Detroit he buys a gun to have with him at all times when on I94 to protect himself just in case he breaks down. So, what happens? He breaks down and some how gets robbed of both his money AND his gun within seconds of pulling to the side of the road. Really!?! The story [[as reported), sort of strains credulity doesn't it?

One would think the ONE thing the guy who is so terrified of being broken down in Detroit would do is to pull out the gun the second he thinks he's going to need to pull over....at the very least, the moment he puts the car in park.

I'm not "blaming the victim"...I'm calling bullshit. If it's true..we'll, I guess I'm just a cynic.
    Last edited by bailey; May-01-12 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Either this guy is a complete moron or there is more to the story. He, according to his own statements, is so terrified of driving through Detroit he buys a gun to have with him at all times when on I94 to protect himself just in case he breaks down. So, what happens? He breaks down and some how gets robbed of both his money AND his gun. Really!?! The story, sort of strains credulity doesn't it?

One would think the first thing the guy who is so terrified of being broken down in Detroit would do is pull out the gun the second he put the car in park.
    Nothing sounds off about the story to me.

When people say they carry their guns "all the time", they don't literally mean "all the time." Who the hell would think they'd need a gun just to do what he did [[quickly remove a pastic bag from the Engine of his car), especially in a supposedly "nice" part of town? That's completely different from the car not running at all, and needing a tow truck or repair right then and there
    Last edited by 313WX; May-01-12 at 04:07 PM.

Most men I know in Detroit have CCW's now. Its not because they are all terrified - its pretty common. So this guy may have been just one of them. But they already had their guns on him and they told him that they'd kill him if he moved. I don't know - I've seen that many times on television and pretty much the good guy steps down - on tv its a natural plot device only until later. In this case, he just stepped down. Before it was "for protection." NOW he says he is terrified.

I have a friend who stopped to see an old friend in Detroit a year or so ago-when he got there the business was closed/abandoned. Surprised, he circled around to the alley and there his van fell into a huge hole that seemed engineered. Out of the alley emerged some big guys with guns. My friend did have a CCW but had left his weapon in his shop. He was trying to fend the guys off when a DTE truck, accompanied by DTE's private security, happened to turn down the alley and save his life.
    Last edited by SWMAP; May-01-12 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Nothing sounds off about the story to me.

When people say they carry their guns "all the time", they don't literally mean "all the time." Who the hell would think they'd need a gun just to do what he did [[quickly remove a pastic bag from the Engine of his car), especially in a supposedly "nice" part of town? That's completely different from the car not running at all, and needing a tow truck or repair right then and there
    "Who", you ask? THIS GUY. THIS GUY IS THE ONE WHO WOULD THINK IT. Breaking down on I94 was, according to his statement, THE reason he had a gun.

If he felt that strongly about it, so strongly he stated it to the Press, then why is it sitting in the glove box? Oh yeah, "within seconds" of pulling over the highway robbers were on him. much too quickly to get the gun he CARRIED FOR THE SOLE REASON THAT HE WAS AFRAID TO BREAK DOWN IN DETROIT.

again, maybe my BS detector is off, but it's a little too convienent isnt it? I mean the ONE thing he feared.... the stuff of urban legend...being attacked by highway robbers in a "nice" part of town.... within "seconds" of breaking down... happens? I'm going to say we havent heard the whole story.
    Last edited by bailey; May-01-12 at 04:24 PM.

Who you ask? THIS GUY. THIS GUY IS THE ONE WHO WOULD THINK IT. Breaking down on I94 was, according to his statement, THE reason he had a gun.

If he felt that strongly about it, so strongly he stated it to the Press, then why is it sitting in the glove box? Oh yeah, "within seconds" of pulling over the highway robbers were on him. much too quickly to get the gun he CARRIED FOR THE SOLE REASON THAT HE WAS AFRAID TO BREAK DOWN IN DETROIT.

again, maybe my BS detector is off, but it's a little too convienent isnt it? I mean the ONE thing he feared.... the stuff of urban legend...being attacked by highway robbers in a "nice" part of town.... happens? I'm going to say we havent heard the whole story.
    Far more stranger things have happened.

While he had his back turned to bend over in his hood, anyone nearby could have pulled a gun out and aimed it at him, in that short of a time span. If anything, the guy had too much faith in this surroundings that day, even given his situation that otherwise shouldn't have required a gun at hand.

His intentions were to quickly get out, pull the plastic bag from his engine, and continue on with his commute. That's completely different form being stranded for a significant period of time with no running motor what so ever.

I doubt he went looking for trouble, or that he was asking for trouble to greet him.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    How sad. The crooks in Detroit don't even just hold you up anymore. They shoot first, ask for your money after.
    I think I addressed this here before as the natural next step. With all the stories about homeowners and shopkeepers shooting bad guys, it's only natural that the bad guys will start shooting as soon as they walk in.

As to the guy on the freeway --- do we know for sure the robbery really occurred? Or could he have made the story up to cover the loss of the gun somehow?

I imagine there were a few witnesses on I94 at Cadieux. Odd that you would rationalize even this episode. If someone making up something like that they would use a more private place in thecstory - an alley or something.

He breaks down and some how gets robbed of both his money AND his gun within seconds of pulling to the side of the road. Really!?! The story [[as reported), sort of strains credulity doesn't it?

I'm not "blaming the victim"...I'm calling bullshit. If it's true..we'll, I guess I'm just a cynic.

Something definitely stinks, me thinks.

Back to the OP. Was there a history at this store? Previous robberies? Was there a gun behind the counter? If so, could the thief have known about it?

It was the 1st of the month, he was just opening up and he had extra cash to cash checks. Soon there will be no one willing to run a small business in Detroit. Absolutely no respect for life. There are to many animals on the loose. How else do you justify so many ruthless killings?

Sad stories like this can really take the momentum out of all the great things happening in Detroit. I am considering a move from Saginaw to Detroit in March of next year [[ I don't think there is much of a difference in crime between the two per capita) but we have stories like this here as well. I find my self disgusted with the animals who run through these cities. I really believe the police should have a very strict no tolerance policy and hope the state invests much more heavily in police. These people are disgusting and need to be locked away or just shot. I also consider myself to be fairly liberal but people who blame this type of thing on the lack of jobs or education that an area has are ridiculous. I had many family members who grew up poor and they never went around attacking innocent people [[or any people for that matter). These types of people don't want jobs, they are a menace to society and need to be dealt with in the harshest of manners.

I got stuck on a Los Angeles freeway in 1990 at Baldwin Park. I pulled from the very left to the right lane after the timing chain broke on this old Lincoln Continental my girlfriend had just bought. I told her and her mom who we had just picked up at LAX to lock the doors etc... while I ran to the phone at the exit luckily about 500 ft in front of the car. I had a CAA card, and called AAA and ran backto the car in less than 5 minutes. I felt we were easy game at 3 Oclock in the AM. Sure enough a guy stopped and asked if he could help; me and my buddy are mechanics he said. The back window [[electric) wouldnt close fully [[2 inches open) but I said no and the guy asked if we had 20 bucks to buy gas and Itold him we were broke. He left.

Next came the AAA guys. I dont even know if they were 18. They bummed cigarettes off my GF, and then told us to duck while we sat in the car so the cops woudlnt spot us. Sure enough, as they hauled us to the motel 6 across the viaduct, CHIPS came by and shot their spotlight on us, stopped the AAA driver and handed him a ticket, he didnt even have a licence to drive. At the motel, a security guard was walking on the roof, another in the lot; I asked the guy how the neighborhood was; he answered: Welcome to Baldwin Park: "The highest murder rate in the state of California"; with a big fat grin on his face. To ths day, I dont know if it was true, but the next day, as we walked to the garage a couple of blocks from the motel, I noticed how everything in L.A. looked clean and less altered by decay than in our neck of the woods.

Anyways, its plausible that if you break down in Detroit, some pirate is on the lookout for an easy prey and happens on it at the right moment. IMHO.

Crime is up in every hood of the drrty D. Here in Corktown the crime jumped off as soon as 2012 arrived. Several vehicles have been stolen from my neighbors and broken into around the businesses. A guy tried to steal the chaldean store owners car from him last month and he had to pull the heat out to chase him off. Numerous break-ins and attempted break-ins have occurred, including my own crib which was burglerized by a crackfiend back in Feb. The day after that, a guy was robbed at gunpoint and pistolwhipped a block away on Bagley. Then on Valentines day, a guy opened fire in front of my place to deter a guy who was attempting to carjack him and his girl.

The crime has been on jam ever since. Just a few days ago my neighbors truck was stolen in broad daylight while he was home and someone tried to break into my building again in the middle of the night.

But my thoughts are always with these business owners who are becoming easy targets, like sitting ducks. We often take their continual presence in our community for granted.

If you so much as show a firearm in the act of committing a crime, you should NEVER be allowed out of jail. Also, I think more citizens [[including store owners/staff) need to carry firearms, and be trained to use them. Right now, criminals are fully aware that unless they happen to hold up a place with a cop, they are likely not going into a fair fight. Holding up a store right now in Detroit, you can be pretty sure you will be the only one with a gun. If lots of criminals start getting creamed by their would-be victims, I think it might give them pause. Other things, like visible indoor and outdoor cameras, bright lighting, large windows making inside easily visible, etc. But most importantly, we need citizens willing to drop a dime on these thugs. Someone you know have a gun and come into some unexplained cash? Unfortunately, I think we have a somewhat crime-tolerant citizenry. I am reminded of Ed Koch's statement when told a mugging victim wanted leniency for his attacker. Said the [[liberal!) mayor: "Mug him again." God Bless Ed Koch.

Note, this is not academic to me. I have been held up at gun point [[in New York), and I know personally a murder victim [[in Detroit).

I Agree Mikey. These people should be dealt with in the harshest way. These people are the reason Detroit is in the shape it is.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast