Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Godbee gets sober from ytd crime stats

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...roit-crimes-up

"Godbee acknowledged the statistics were "sobering."

But during his tenure, he said, there are 300 fewer officers and more guns on the street, which forces the department to juggle crime with fewer resources.

"The areas that have the most violent issues … tie up a tremendous amount of resources," he said. "When the shootings go down, the officers are freed up."

As part of a move to boost police presence in neighborhoods, "virtual precincts" have been launched that move more officers into the streets.

But some residents worry there still aren't enough cops out, or say some areas do not receive as much attention."

So looking at the last line here and if Godbee admits the rise in crime is directly correlated to less cops then I guess we better stand by for the numbers to rise as the COD cuts 2500 jobs a percentage of which will be cops and firemen, the cuts cant all come from normal attrition....

frustrating...

I've attended the Police Community meetings and note all the officers that are strictly PR folks in a uniform, why aren't these officers on the street. It's the same old song and dance at just about every meeting, I quit attending. When I moved to my neighborhood, I was in
    the 3rd Precinct and we had an officer housed in a building on Michigan Ave. He rode around the area on a bike, he got to know everyone. When you were going on vacation, you let him know. Now we're so far removed from our "centralized precinct" and never see a patrol car, and the only officers we meet are the hand shakers. Put them on duty, forget about the hoopla and the dog and pony show at the monthly greetings. Bring back neighborhood stations/precincts/beat cops/mounted cops/bicycle cops. It won't stop crime in the middle of the night, but it will make daytime feel a lot safer.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    I've attended the Police Community meetings and note all the officers that are strictly PR folks in a uniform, why aren't these officers on the street. It's the same old song and dance at just about every meeting, I quit attending. When I moved to my neighborhood, I was in
    the 3rd Precinct and we had an officer housed in a building on Michigan Ave. He rode around the area on a bike, he got to know everyone. When you were going on vacation, you let him know. Now we're so far removed from our "centralized precinct" and never see a patrol car, and the only officers we meet are the hand shakers. Put them on duty, forget about the hoopla and the dog and pony show at the monthly greetings. Bring back neighborhood stations/precincts/beat cops/mounted cops/bicycle cops. It won't stop crime in the middle of the night, but it will make daytime feel a lot safer.
    If you're hoping for the return of the precincts/beat cops/bicycle cops, your hopes will be crushed dearly.

The city is in severe austerity mode. We'll be lucky if the DPD still exists at all when the smoke clears.