Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A trip up Chicago's Abandoned Sears Tower

The Original Sears Tower has long been an abandoned but beautiful landmark out on the West Side. It once anchored the massive Sears Merchandizing warehouse which was demolished and replaced with apartment buildings.

Every year, the city and local organizations get volunteers and open up many of these closed buildings of architectural importance. It's something that I'd wish they do in Detroit. Sign a waiver and get a free tour.

The Original Sears Tower is being renovated into a community center. There will be a restaurant at the very top.

The elevators were in perfect working condition. In fact, it was the most smooth and quiet elevator ride I've been on. No new highrises downtown could compare.

We pass a bunch of floors on the way. No idea what condition they were in. Keep in mind, the old Sears Warehouse was basically ripped off the back of this building. It's unlikely it was a very clean demo.

We get off near the top. This room was where the water tanks were for fire suppression. The tanks have long been removed, but you can see the imprints on the floor where they used to be.

Going above this room we find a very ornate two-level room at the very top

Looking over the Lawndale Neighborhood towards downtown

The Eisenhower slices through separating E-W Garfield Park from Lawndale

EGP. I'm guessing within the next decade, gentrification will make its way to this neighborhood.

[QUOTE=wolverine;317066]The Original Sears Tower has long been an abandoned but beautiful landmark out on the West Side. It once anchored the massive Sears Merchandizing warehouse which was demolished and replaced with apartment buildings.

I never even knew that building existed. Unique.

Thanks for the tour wolverine, and what a sharp view of the skyline!

Thanks guys. Yes, it was a huge building.

http://www.blueprintchicago.org/2012...orth-lawndale/

All the buildings in the foreground are still standing today and have been beautifully restored into a school. I can also post pictures of the powerplant. they kept and restored some of the old equipment.

Too bad they didn't keep the warehouse although there's a couple other examples around the city just like it that also have towers.