Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default St Ambrose Schools and Church

A pick up of a similar thread from the "old forum".

Lets start with the book coming out [[mostly) about the 59 St Ambrose high school football team and their dominating teams of the 60's.

http://freep.com/article/20090617/HSS/906170361

Quote Originally Posted by audioswhite View Post
    A pick up of a similar thread from the "old forum".

Lets start with the book coming out [[mostly) about the 59 St Ambrose high school football team and their dominating teams of the 60's.

http://freep.com/article/20090617/HSS/906170361
    Well, I didn't go there or live near there, but my memories of the old Catholic League sure include them. I went to St. Marys of Redford and my dad used to take me to football games as a kid in the late 60s - early 70s. I remember St. Ambrose very well. We always played them, Servite, Holy Redeemer, Bishop Gallagher, etc. Were your school colors maroon and white? That's what I seem to remember, though it was LONG ago! Great memories of going to those games - to me, as a kid back then, it was just as good as going to a pro game.

Here's a clipping from the Detroit News 1966 leading up to that years Soup Bowl with Notre Dame. I believe the running back for the St. Ambrose team was a St. Jude grad Doug Martinelli

Attachment 1864

Attachment 1865

Attachment 1866
    Last edited by zitro; December-12-09 at 01:07 PM.

Titan Stadium. Is this from grander days at U of D?

Quote Originally Posted by irish_mafia View Post
    Titan Stadium. Is this from grander days at U of D?

Must be, I know that's where the game was played

When Ambrose came out on the field, it was like watching a pro team show up.
    I remember the Good Fellows game they had on sports Channel 50 when St. Ambrose played at Tiger Stadium in the snow in the 60's. Kids would use shovels along the ten yard lines between plays so the players knew were they were.