Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Quicken Loans to add more than 1,000 workers - holding job fair on Saturday

Looking for a job? More promising news. Previously discussed hereabouts was Quicken's outreach to laid off Yahoo employees. This come in from the AP via Crain's today. 1000 more jobs downtown probably translates to 3000 jobs there and elsewhere.

DETROIT [[AP) — Quicken Loans Inc. will hold a career fair at its Detroit headquarters as the online mortgage lender looks to add more than 1,000 employees.

Applicants attending Saturday’s event at the Compuware Building downtown will have an opportunity to meet a recruiter and learn about available opportunities with the company.

Quicken Loans says it is looking for workers in a variety of positions, including operations and mortgage banking. About 3,700 Quicken employees work in Detroit and are part of founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert’s plan to help revitalize downtown
    full article >>

FYI, that job fair was yesterday.

Excellent! Detroit is on a roll! This is another great bit of leverage for the uture of downtown and the city as a whole. Keep the good nooz coming.

Obviously every additional job is good news but I have to question the need for 1,000 more workers. It was only last Sept. Quicken held a job fair downtown stating they needed 500 more. They can't be growing that fast. Is it high turnover, a lack of people with the needed skills or does the number 1,000 sound great in the media and therefore to potential customers?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Obviously every additional job is good news but I have to question the need for 1,000 more workers. It was only last Sept. Quicken held a job fair downtown stating they needed 500 more. They can't be growing that fast. Is it high turnover, a lack of people with the needed skills or does the number 1,000 sound great in the media and therefore to potential customers?
    The majority of the positions they are looking to fill are for mortgage reps. The reason they need 1000 now and 1000 more in 6 months is because of the high turnover. Its all about the numbers. Each person is supposed to close X amount of mortgages in any given month and if you don't reach those numbers that are set for you, then you're out.

Thanks. Kinda what I thought. Wonder how long before the papers stop giving them all this free advertising for their job fairs. I guess when word gets around it will stop people from lining up for customer service jobs when there are few available.

This is the same gimmick QL does all the time. What happened to the 600 people there were supposed to hire in the fall. I'd love to see the real numbers of hires they do. Besides most of the jobs are for mortgage re-fi. QL's business model is train 30 and expect 25 to be gone the first 6 months.

They had popcorn and Faygo slush machines in their office breakroom areas.. neat!

A significant chunk of the openings are for IT positions too.

oh and I believe a few hundred jobs are summer interns