Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Edwin Pate

Default Edwin Pate

I'm researching Lincoln Park City Hall. Lincoln Park City Hall, built 1935 for $80,000 is a WPA building. The building is an interesting brick building of an art deco design.

I've come across numerous articles but none list an architect.
    I think that city engineer Edwin Pate was responsible for the design. A 1935 article stated:

“Tentative plans have been drawn up for the Municipal Building. Edwin Pate, City Engineer, Monday night was instructed to draw & detail plans and make an estimate of the cost. ..."

I talked to someone at the National Archives several years ago. He said that their
    records on Lincoln Park city hall list the architect/engineer as “Pate & Hirn” and the only info in their files is financial info. He said that the WPA only paid for the building.

1920 census lists Edwin Pate as a civil engineer. His WWI draft card lists him as a civil engineer. Another listing lists him as attending Michigan Agricultural College.

Curious if anyone knows anything on Edwin Pate?

From the LDS web site:

Edwin PATE
    Birth Date: 9 Jun 1894
    Death Date: Sep 1977
    Social Security Number: 372-40-6811
    State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Michigan
    Death Residence Localities
    ZIP Code: 48183
    Localities: Brownstown Twp, Wayne, Michigan
    Trenton, Wayne, Michigan
    Woodhaven, Wayne, Michigan

The 1941, 1944 and 1947 Polk's directories list Edwin H. Pate as Lincoln Park city engineer [[also on the school Board in 1947).

The 1947 directory also lists him at 1064 New York Ave. [[in LP).

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    The 1941, 1944 and 1947 Polk's directories list Edwin H. Pate as Lincoln Park city engineer [[also on the school Board in 1947).

The 1947 directory also lists him at 1064 New York Ave. [[in LP).
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't had a chance to check the city directories. I didn't know he was on the school board either.
    Do you have the earlier city directories from the 1920's and 1930's?

State website lists Pate, Hirn and Bogue as dissolved in the late 1990's and his son Laurence as the registered agent. I think I need to reach his son.