Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Grasshopper Bar

Default Grasshopper Bar

My mom recently told me that her great uncle ran a bar in Detroit, probably in the 50s & 60s, called the Grasshopper. She thinks it was on the east side near 7 mile and Mt. Elliott or maybe in Hamtramck.

I've been googling for days with no luck.

Anyone have knowledge of the bar?

According to the 1967 Polk's directory:

9248 Van Dyke

Also listed at the address is Mrs Helen Wildauer; she was either the proprietor or a resident in an upstairs apartment, or both.
    Last edited by MikeM; April-27-12 at 08:15 PM.

Wow. That's the spot and that's our aunt. Thanks, MikeM!

MikeM is our resident sleuth and always comes through! He can fly a pretty mean plane, too!

Stromberg2

The bar was on the southeast corner of Van Dyke and Edgewood.

I was a free press carrier in the 1960s. Although I delivered to most bars on Van Dyke in the area, the Grasshopper was not one of my customers. I lived on Knodell, the next block over from Edgewood. My dad worked weekends at the S&S bar on Edgewood and Vinton.

One of my grandfather's haunts in the 1950s and 60s. He lived on Woodlawn.