Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Delmon Young-Drunk and Under Arrest in NY

This season is going downhill fast . . .

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

There's talk that he could be charged with a hate crime.
    The other person involved was Jewish.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1458650.html
    Last edited by rjk; April-27-12 at 09:35 AM.

When it rains, it pours. What else can happen to the Tigers?

Miguel Cabrera, Mikel Leshoure, Nick Fairley, and now Delmon Young. I guess aint no party like a Detroit pro athlete's party!

Occurrence Guest

I have been hoping for a terrible Tigers season and so far I'm not disappointed. Now, If we could only get people to refuse to buy those $8 beers and over-priced food at the ballpark.

*******late breaking news****inge signed again after youngs arrest

Quote Originally Posted by Occurrence View Post
    I have been hoping for a terrible Tigers season and so far I'm not disappointed.

Why?

You must be a hit at a parties.

We're still second in the AL Central. Not good, but not terrible.

aw geez. Not good for the tigers. It seems the disease of alcohol runs in the family. His brother Dmitri suffered from it too as many will recall.

This from Dmitri's wiki...

2006 -- troubles off the field

In 2006, Young went through a divorce, was treated for alcohol and substance abuse, and depression. He pleaded guilty to assaulting a young woman after an argument in Birmingham, Michigan.[4]

On May 17, 2006, the Detroit Free Press reported that Young faced a misdemeanor domestic violence charge, stemming from a heated argument with a young woman.[5] Young subsequently spent 30 days in the rehabilitation facility, Promises Malibu, and three weeks working out with minor league teams. On June 13, 2006, Young failed to appear for a pretrial hearing on this matter and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest.[6] Ten days later, he pleaded no contest to the domestic violence charges.

On June 30, 2006, Young revealed that he had been battling alcoholism,[7] which limited his physical fitness and kept him from appearing in all but a small fraction of Tigers games during the season. He made a statement to the press in which he asserted that he had been making progress overcoming it with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous, whose logo has been tattooed on his hand as a gesture of thanks. He returned to action on July 21, 2006, versus the Oakland Athletics, starting at designated hitter and ending the game with 2 hits and 2 RBI in the Tigers' 7-4 win. Before the game started, FSN Detroit aired a video of Young apologizing to the fans and saying how he will continue to struggle against alcohol and drugs for the rest of his life.

On September 6, 2006, with less than a month to go in their American League Championship season, the Tigers gave Young his unconditional release in a move that surprised both teammates and fans alike.

The day after Thanksgiving, an ambulance took him to a hospital, where he endured a three-day stay in the intensive care unit as his doctors diagnosed diabetes.[4] Since then, Young has taken steps to get his diabetes in control and is encouraging others to do so. He has recently appeared on dLife to talk to people about how he has lived with diabetes.
    I really like Delmon and hope he gets helped.

I have been hoping for a terrible Tigers season and so far I'm not disappointed. Now, If we could only get people to refuse to buy those $8 beers and over-priced food at the ballpark.
    What the hell?

I wouldn't be surprised if he's done in Detroit. The hate crime charge takes this to a different level. I'm sure the league will give him a lengthy suspension and if he were to come back he's going to be a huge distraction.

He only has a contract through this year, not hitting and can't field worth a damn. I say he's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if he's done in Detroit. The hate crime charge takes this to a different level. I'm sure the league will give him a lengthy suspension and if he were to come back he's going to be a huge distraction.

He only has a contract through this year, not hitting and can't field worth a damn. I say he's toast.
    I think that's really jumping to conclusions. If every time somebody uttered a racial slur when they were in a very minor altercation it resulted in Hate Crime charges the courts would be packed. I'm already reading "charged" and "facing hate crime charges" when in fact they are still investigating. Also, it sounds like he got between some Chicago tourists and a panhandler. While not wise, especially while drunk, it hardly seems to rise to any hate crime standard.
    I'm guessing he'll get off with a small fine. I'm much more concerned with the poor judgment of drinking until 3:00 am after your team got swept while going 0 for your last 10. Delmon and Dmitri, two of a kind. Like it or not, we need this guy, at least for this year.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Why?

You must be a hit at a parties.

We're still second in the AL Central. Not good, but not terrible.
    Ehh, not a big fan of Illitch and I have a hard time rooting for a guy who makes $214 million in this economy.

What's that I hear??? It's the sound of all the faux Tiger fans jumping off the bandwagon. We're only 20 games, about an eighth of the way, into the season, and it's only April. This is a distraction but it's not the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    What's that I hear??? It's the sound of all the faux Tiger fans jumping off the bandwagon. We're only 20 games, about an eighth of the way, into the season, and it's only April. This is a distraction but it's not the end of the season.

As I recall they were under .500 at this point last season.

Ehh, not a big fan of Illitch and I have a hard time rooting for a guy who makes $214 million in this economy.
    I guess we could all just sit around and read Nietzsche, then.

Fine, you don't like baseball, but "Hoping for a terrible season"? Like this city doesn't have enough to be down about. Go jump off the Ambassador.

Go jump off the Ambassador.
    He probably doesn't like Maroun either.

Quote Originally Posted by Roq View Post
    He probably doesn't like Maroun either.
    Nice comeback

Occurrence Guest

I guess we could all just sit around and read Nietzsche, then.

Fine, you don't like baseball, but "Hoping for a terrible season"? Like this city doesn't have enough to be down about. Go jump off the Ambassador.
    If a pro sports team really makes or breaks a major city than we are in worse shape than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think that's really jumping to conclusions. If every time somebody uttered a racial slur when they were in a very minor altercation it resulted in Hate Crime charges the courts would be packed. I'm already reading "charged" and "facing hate crime charges" when in fact they are still investigating. Also, it sounds like he got between some Chicago tourists and a panhandler. While not wise, especially while drunk, it hardly seems to rise to any hate crime standard.
    I'm guessing he'll get off with a small fine. I'm much more concerned with the poor judgment of drinking until 3:00 am after your team got swept while going 0 for your last 10. Delmon and Dmitri, two of a kind. Like it or not, we need this guy, at least for this year.
    I agree with you on this but I wish there was harsher punishment on athletes by the league for this kind of behavior.

I find it funny how people complain about athletes getting slammed in the tabloids and the news for bad behavior. ...thinking its unfair. But if most of us punched a guy outside our hotel on a business trip we'd probably be fired. No one would feel sorry for us.

On the other hand you got people saying "oh he's a great guy". They only care about his sports career, not the background of violent behavior.

We'll see how this pans out but it's not unreasonable to make assumptions on past behavior.

I love me some Tigers baseball but I almost refuse to watch them right now until they start winning. And I am definitely refusing going to anymore games in person right now. When I was young and single going to 10+ games a year was all fine and dandy. Now with a family it has become a serious economical decision whether or not I should got to a game and it becomes and even bigger waste when they are hacking it up out there losing. [[Not that they can win every game.)
    But when you hear stories like this, are others on the team going out and getting lit the night before a game too? Are these players really playing up to there lofty price tag. I mean most make more in 3 games than I do in a year. Not that we can control what these guys do on there off time but this team has some high expectations, with a high price for us lowly fans to match and when even one player is going out and getting wasted it has to affect the whole team in some way negatively. You expect this sort of behavior out of rock stars, you expected this type of behavior in the 30's and 40's baseball players because at least you could sit at the bar and drink with them and the games cost a nickle to go to. But nowadays it's almost a slap in the face when these guys are making tens of thousands per game and the fans are getting charged $4.50 for a soggy hot dog!

The season is long and it's early, but this has to be one of the most disappointing starts in the past few years. The only thing winning is the hype machine.

Buy American Guest

Where is Sharpton? Where is Jackson? Why aren't they yelling and screaming, standing up with the Jewish person who had anti-semetic remarks spewed at him?

Double standard here because Young is a highly paid, highly visible sports figure. Seems to me that some people who are in the limelight, judges, etc., get special treatment and Joe Six Pack gets the book thrown at them for similar infractions. I'm getting real tired of people throwing out crap to some while others can throw out their vile remarks [[city-council meetings) and get away with it.

If a pro sports team really makes or breaks a major city than we are in worse shape than I thought.
    Never said make or break. Never even implied it. It's nice when the home team wins and there is a little something to feel good about and celebrate. Apparently you're far too principled for that. Have fun with that.

Everyone should be more inclined to go see the Tigers now. There's no chance you will see Occurence. If anyone ever invited him anywhere, he would know that the price of a beer at Comerica is not much more than most bars and clubs, if at all. I hope this wet blanket never finds out that you could go see a game for $15, including the cost of a beer, a hot dog and the ticket.

If anyone else has a mind to bitch and moan about the price of items at Comerica, just stay home or don't buy anything, just so long as you shut the fuck up about it. I don't hear anybody bitching about boycotting the local fair or circus because it's $3 for an elephant ear or $5 for a brautwurst. Guess what? You're at special event, asshole.

Occurrence Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    If anyone ever invited him anywhere, he would know that the price of a beer at Comerica is not much more than most bars and clubs, if at all.
    Umm, no. I have been to quite a few bars in my time. I can't remember one of them offering anywhere near $8.50 for a watered down lite beer.

The more expensive micro-brews at least offer good beer for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    I hope this wet blanket never finds out that you could go see a game for $15, including the cost of a beer, a hot dog and the ticket.
    I haven't been to a Tigers game since the early 80s, but I'm pretty sure it cost more than that then, without the beer. And that was in the bleachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Seems to me that some people who are in the limelight, judges, etc., get special treatment and Joe Six Pack gets the book thrown at them for similar infractions.

This is news?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast