Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sugar House Craft and Cocktails

Stopped in Sugar House, next to Slowsbbq on Michigan Ave. Very nice place. The drinks are handmade. Like from years ago. The place has a feel of a speakeasy. No mixers or sodas. Different kinds of extracts, syrups,fruits, herbs. Very nice! Different. Will be going back. They have a lot of customers from Slows overflow. Or, while people are waiting for Slows. Check it out!

I wish I coulda got in. A group of us walked up and the bouncer said the capcity was only forty five. He said that they only allow people to sit at tables. I understand that it takes a long time to make a drink like that so they don't want to fill it up too much, but I've been to small bars in Chicago that have more than forty five people that make solid hand-made drinks. I'll still support it, but that experience was annoying.
    Last edited by dmike76; April-26-12 at 06:56 AM.

Been going there for months. Absolutely love it. The drinks are dangerously good and the buzz can really sneak up on you. Best mixed drinks in the city. Also really dig the feel of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I wish I coulda got in. A group of us walked up and the bouncer said the capcity was only forty five. He said that they only allow people to sit at tables. I understand that it takes a long time to make a drink like that so they don't want to fill it up too much, but I've been to small bars in Chicago that have more than forty five people that make solid hand-made drinks. I'll still support it, but that experience was annoying.
    I love the idea that they only let as many people as there are seats. Sorry you didn't make it in, but the experience is much more enjoyable when you can sit at a table without someone's ass in your face or being bumped into constantly. I make a point if going several times during my trips home.

Also, living in a city where they'll try and get 200+ people in the same space on any given day makes me appreciate it even more.

dmike, It was VERY busy when they first opened but I think things have calmed down a little. Also, they have started taking phone numbers and calling you when there is an opportunity to sit now, which means, walking over to Mercury, Slows, or any other Corktown venue while you wait.

Best Old Fashioned I've Ever Had.

WTF I was supposed to get an email when they opened. They've been open for months? I've been poorly attempting to make the drinks off their blog since they started...

Yeah, it's been open since at least November. That's when I tried to visit.

What is with the name "Sugar house?" I guess I read a lot of Detroit history stuff, it makes me think of the purple gang, aka "The sugar house gang" Is that what they are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitgayhistoryguy View Post
    What is with the name "Sugar house?"
    A sugar house is the hut where they reduce maple sap into maple syrup. I've also heard it also informally refers to a place where people sit around and drink. I guess it's the primary use of a sugar house when they aren't making maple syrup

I've been there 3 times. I love the drinks. My problem is the young door man. 2 of us went in and there were 3 open tables for 4. The door man wouldn't let us sit there because there were only 2 of us and they were 4 tops. I explained that my friend was from out of town and we were only going to stay for 1 or 2 drinks. The dumb ass would not let us sit there. WTF this has happened to me twice. I will never go back.

What is with the name "Sugar house?" I guess I read a lot of Detroit history stuff, it makes me think of the purple gang, aka "The sugar house gang" Is that what they are referring to?
    I'm reading a book on the Purple gang and this was my though too when I saw this topic!

So I finally got into Sugar House last night. I absolutely loved it. Took my future in-laws from Virginia there and they loved it too. I had two drinks...I can't remember the exact names, the first one I believe was called something like 'Brubaker'? Actually didn't like that one....overwhelming taquila taste. The other was the 2nd one from the top of the menu and it had some brand of 3 yr old rum with a hint of ginger. Awesome. They had a guitar/trumpet duet playing which was unbelievable; my father-in-law bought the CD. It was also nice to see that Mercury had a decent amount of people on a Wed. night. So I had a great time and got some out-of-state positive publicity for the D.
    Last edited by dmike76; May-03-12 at 07:30 AM.

Also, I talked to the waiter and he said that they're expanding the menu to 42 new original drinks and 100 classic cocktails. I believe that's happening next week.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place...never a bad drink or a bad time..great music from time to time.The Douglas Cooper is my drink mmm mmm mmm. I have only ever been after work and one Saturday. Never been turned away and never had to wait. Perhaps I have always gotten lucky

Yes. Both the Sugar House on Michigan Ave. and the Oakland on 9 Mile in Ferndale are named after Purple Gang. I wrote an article on both several months ago, and interviewed the operators of both bars. The article is no longer online, but it said: The Sugar House and the Oakland, while owned and operated completely independent from one another, are both named after the Oakland Sugar House, a speakeasy Detroit's Purple Gang used during prohibition. [[The Detroit News)

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place...never a bad drink or a bad time..great music from time to time.The Douglas Cooper is my drink mmm mmm mmm. I have only ever been after work and one Saturday. Never been turned away and never had to wait. Perhaps I have always gotten lucky
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Douglas Cooper is the one that I liked. Good drink.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Douglas Cooper is the one that I liked. Good drink.
    Not to get off the subject. But, Green Dot Stables has reopened. It's at 14 th and Lafayette. They just got their liquor license

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Not to get off the subject. But, Green Dot Stables has reopened. It's at 14 th and Lafayette. They just got their liquor license
    thanks about the green dot stables!! used to eat lunch there all the time - they had great wings.... looking forward to going back