Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Metro Detroit is weakest economically performing metro from top 100 largest in US

According to the Brookings Institute: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_216366.html

FYI, Grand Rapids was also in the bottom 20.

ETA: And Toledo... But that's pretty much a given since it is so closely tied to Detroit.
    Last edited by iheartthed; June-17-09 at 12:11 PM.

heywood mccrakin Guest

and you needed to read the article to figure that one out?

lilpup Guest

He's not on scene.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood mccrakin View Post
    and you needed to read the article to figure that one out?
    Well, contrary to the "woe is me" tone around here, Detroit isn't the only area in the country that is struggling right now. If you look at the interactive map, every metropolitan area in Florida is in the lowest 40 performing metropolitan areas. It is the only state besides Michigan to have achieved that.

But it is pretty interesting that a metropolitan area as large as Detroit could be dead last. Detroit is even performing worse than Youngstown, Ohio...! These types of lists are usually tilted both for and against smaller regions, that typically have less diverse economies.........

And FYI, I spent quite a bit of time "on scene" recently. I know what it looks like there.

lilpup Guest

Come here and hunt for a job - then you'll really know.

What I find interesting is that Pittsburgh, New Haven, and Rochester round out the top 20. Like Detroit, these are rust belt legacy "one industry" towns that were left for dead. Pittsburgh had its steel and Rochester had Kodak & Xerox [[both mere shadows of their former glory), yet these scrappy folks are bravely attempting to re-invent themselves. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Come here and hunt for a job - then you'll really know.
    I know what the employment situation is like there.