Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Container Homes

Default Container Homes

I had attended a panel discussion this past Saturday in Lafayette Park. One of the panelist had proposed metal container homes to be built in Detroit. He had tried convincing the audience how easy they are to construct and live in. They could be easily taken down by the owner if the owner doesnt wan to live in the area or just decide to relocate. I think that Metal Container structures could be used for retail that could line avenues such as Grand River, Gratiot, and even Michigan where there are vacant lots. It would be better than constructing a structure made of brick and wood. The structure could be easily taken down if the store or businesses closes. Had anyone heard of container homes or structures made of metal?

Google container homes for more information. There are both good and bad when it comes to these, particularly in northern climates.

Attachment 13165

Mix in a few old trailers and you have a redneck mansion.

Are there any yurt homes in Michigan? Out here in Oregon they seem to be catching on.

There was project slated for Detroit at Rosa Parks and Warren.

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroit/index.ssf/2009/11/container_housing_project_in_d.html
    Last edited by MSUguy; April-25-12 at 04:09 PM.

Lots of Yurts in State parks. I don't know of any case where someone has turned one into a permenant residence.

YURTS! yes finally iv been saying this for years! i love the idea and wanted to build one in Detroit myself, however the average new yurt cost $20,000 and in Detroit so does a house. so unfortunately the idea kills its self

There's a yurt building I occasionally drive by near Benzonia.

As for container housing-- I've seen some great examples of really upscale apartments made from containers on TV-- maybe on Planet Green. Also, there was a small example actually set up at MOCAD during the Shrinking Cities exhibit. They actually can be converted to some pretty cool places. I also saw an article somewhere that showed examples of containers being used to create blocks of small storefronts and office space for startups and entrepreneurs-- it was attractive and made a lot of economic sense.

http://www.treehugger.com/modular-de...ing-ideas.html

There are some examples you can find in some of the world's worst slums where whole communities are set up with families just living in shipping containers without any modification, but they can also be used as structural modules, and you can build just about any kind of building you want using them. They are strong and are built to last for 40 years at sea.

http://weburbanist.com/2008/05/26/ca...s-and-offices/
    Last edited by Parkguy; April-25-12 at 04:28 PM.