Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default L's Cheesecake Bistro and State Street Pub

L's Cheescake Bistro was announced last August in the space formerly occupied by Sweet Georgia Brown...at the time, Crain's said construction was slated to begin in 30 days from then. I'm still not seeing any progress. Does anybody have any info?

Also, my wife and I noticed a sign for State St. Pub where the Kresge shops used to be and more recently a small coffee house on the corner of Woodward. Again, I can't find any information on this new development and didn't have time to explore yesterday when I was down there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I don't know about the new developments, but I went to that coffee shop Chez Zara fairly often. They have move for now into the Chase Bank Building, but are building a permanent space in the Madison Building

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ch...a/356372704928

The State Street Pub was open on Opening Day only. I didn't go in, but from what I could see on the street that day and peering in the windows since, is that it looks like an extension of the Red Grape Lounge next door. I suspect it is just another Boydell Development project to fill up empty space in buildings they own. Owner Dennis Kefallinos has a few spare liquor licenses in his pocket and since he has the space, might as well make it productive. If it's like most of their projects, don't expect too much.

Another of his properties, Harvard Square Centre on Broadway also opened for one day on opening day. CJ Mahoney's ran the show, and it was reported that the owner of CJ Mahoney's was still negotiating a lease and he said even if he didn't stay in that spot he was going to locate somewhere downtown permanently. Since then, no activity in that space except the landlord took down the opening day banners.

I don't know what's up with that. Is it possible to make a profit in one day before picking up stakes and moving to another part of town? And what about the liquor license? Could Kefallinos "loan" it to CJ Mahoney's for one day? Since that space had been empty for some time, Kefallinos put a lot of work in it before CJ Mahoney's bash I would guess CJ Mahoney's may still be looking for a permanent location and Kefallinos will operate some kind of bar or club there in the near future.
    Last edited by downtownguy; April-23-12 at 03:00 PM.