Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Modern

Default Michigan Modern

With the great response to 203 Cloverly I thought I would try this: a contest. Name the architect and address of each of the 7 images. The first to answer correctly gets lunch at Hot Taco or the Mercury Bar. Bonus points for the year they were built. One hint they are all on the eastside. I apologize for one of the images.
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Another hint: There are only 3 architects for the 7 homes.

Alden Dow, Saarien, Yamasaki?

Hmmmm perhaps Kessler?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Alden Dow, Saarien, Yamasaki?
    Dow is a step in the right direction.

I don't know who designed those houses but I'm looking forward to finding out.

# 3 i did some plaster repair work last summer.
    1940 - The Robbie Robinson House
    741 middlesex gpf.

http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/dow.htm

http://michiganmodern.org/architects...s/alden-b-dow/
    Last edited by black gold man; April-22-12 at 09:40 PM.

Guessing 4 and 5 were the same architect. I don't know who though. The second one is my favorite, can't wait to find out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by black gold man View Post
    # 3 i did some plaster repair work last summer.
    1940 - The Robbie Robinson House
    741 middlesex gpf.

http://www.trianglemodernisthouses.com/dow.htm

http://michiganmodern.org/architects...s/alden-b-dow/
    One down six to go.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Guessing 4 and 5 were the same architect. I don't know who though. The second one is my favorite, can't wait to find out about it.
    You are correct.

Sorry to hijack , was there a conclusion as to where the modern from the 200 commercial is located ???

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    Sorry to hijack , was there a conclusion as to where the modern from the 200 commercial is located ???

My best guess would be the Wabeek subdivision or its environs. I am not a fan of 90 percent of that stuff.

#1 is an Alden Dow house too. It's the house on Pemberton and Fairfax in Grosse Pointe Park. My uncle used to live right across the street back in the '60s and '70s. It's been fixed up and the old casement windows replaced since then though, which threw me off for a few minutes.

#2 I know I've seen, and it's driving me crazy that I don't know what it is. A really beautiful house. Shame that air conditioning compressor couldn't have been hidden a little better though.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    #1 is an Alden Dow house too. It's the house on Pemberton and Fairfax in Grosse Pointe Park. My uncle used to live right across the street back in the '60s and '70s. It's been fixed up and the old casement windows replaced since then though, which threw me off for a few minutes.

#2 I know I've seen, and it's driving me crazy that I don't know what it is. A really beautiful house. Shame that air conditioning compressor couldn't have been hidden a little better though.
    2 down 5 to go. One more hint 4 of the 5 remaining are also in Grosse Pointe, the 5th one is in St. Clair Shores.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-23-12 at 02:50 PM.

The last one is a Kessler House on Cadieux in Grosse pointe Park, across from the now Beaumont Hospital. This was actually his home, I believe....

Quote Originally Posted by Landman View Post
    The last one is a Kessler House on Cadieux in Grosse pointe Park, across from the now Beaumont Hospital. This was actually his home, I believe....
    The house at 1013 Cadieux is Kessler's own home but my image as you can see is so bad I did not use it. You are in the right area but the last pic is not a Kessler design.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-23-12 at 08:44 PM.

Another hint one of the homes was designed by a well known architect and Professor at the University of Michigan school of architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Coplin View Post
    I think its on Hamilton Rd just north of where it used to branch of of Pontchartrain Blvd, south of the Detroit Golf Club. But it might be reversed.

1. Gunnar Birkerts

You were wandering around Grosse Pointe taking photos of contemporary homes and you missed the house designed by Paul Rudolph, former dean of the Yale School of Architecture? I believe it is the only home he designed which was built in the State of Michigan, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by GPCharles; April-26-12 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    You were wandering around Grosse Pointe taking photos of contemporary homes and you missed the house designed by Paul Rudolph, former dean of the Yale School of Architecture? I believe it is the only home he designed which was built in the State of Michigan, but I could be wrong.
    Thx, but I know about the Rudolph home but the way the home is landscaped I cannot get a good pic, and not everyone has seen the home from the lake. There are others but I thought I would start with this group. I think there are one or two of his designs in the Blooomfield/Birmingham area.

The best place to get a picture is from the boat docks at Neff Park.

Quote Originally Posted by southofbloor View Post
    I think its on Hamilton Rd just north of where it used to branch of of Pontchartrain Blvd, south of the Detroit Golf Club. But it might be reversed.
    Funny , I can't picture any moderns over there, I'll have to take a closer look ....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    1. Gunnar Birkerts
    2 have been identified
    1. A. B. Dow 888 Pemberton
    3. A. B. Dow 741 Middlesex

I do not know of a Birkerts design in GP. Another hint #4 and #5 were designed by a person know more for architecture history than being an architect.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-27-12 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    2 have been identified
    1. A. B. Dow 888 Pemberton
    3. A. B. Dow 741 Middlesex

I do not know of a Birkerts design in GP. Another hint #4 and #5 were designed by a person know more for architecture history than being an architect.
    W. Hawkins Ferry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast