Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Surprise: Detroit Nation's Least Popular City

A new poll from Public Policy Polling names Detroit America's least popular city, out of 21 major metropolises. Only 22 percent of respondents saw the Motor City favorably, and 49 percent had a negative view.

Those who voted for President Obama in 2008 were twice as likely to view Detroit favorably as those who voted for John McCain, but the "very liberal" and the "very conservative" are almost just as likely to hate the D [[47 and 53 percent unfavorable, respectively).

Women like Detroit better than men [[maybe not surprising, given our D+ ranking as a "great city for single men"). Nearly half of whites and Hispanics said Detroit made them think "unfavorable!" and 40 percent of blacks agreed.

More people like our midwest sister cities Chicago [[42 favorable to 33 unfavorable) and Cleveland [[32 to 25). Joining Detroit at the bottom: Oakland, Calif., [[we can see that -- the East Bay has a similar reputation to Detroit, after all) and Los Angeles [[this seems like more of an anti-Beautiful People vote).
    Last edited by iheartthed; April-20-12 at 10:16 PM.

And how many of those people had actually been to Detroit? I don't need to guess to say a very low percentage.

City life is not a popularity contest. this is great news! we do not need to be homogenized by the mediocrity of the rest of the country that may not "get" who we are now because they are living a DOA past. We are the legacy of strategic industrial dissolution -- so far ahead of the curve it only looks like we're going backwards judged by today's conventions. Knowing how to live with our stunning contradictions and never giving up makes us vital. Forget "like," don't want to be liked. Love this city!

Detroiters kind of dig the less mainstream, unpopular choice anyways. Right?

Salute to the Lt. Dan. That was an interesting rant but I understand it. Short commentary but sweet and to the point. Thanks for saying what is in my heart.

Kinda begs into a chicken-'n'-egg thang then, quickly.

Is Detroit a filter, through which only the hopeful and/or delusional may easily pass?! It does seem to bother those who call themselves realists, yanno, the ones we call inexperienced cynics. Certainly snags the fearful, keeps 'em out of the mix.

It's gotta be something...we have an amazing density of folk who cannot stop loving this place. The Spirit of Detroit is real.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; April-21-12 at 04:04 AM.

Where do they get these polls from anyways?
    My personal poll would be 60% of those who diss Detroit
    are ex pats who do not have a clue as to what is
    really happing in the city any more and the rest
    do not know enough about it to even care which
    they could say that about any city USA.

I just realized I think the glib, slapdash writing style of Huffpost is sloppy and unprofessional. Give me the New York Times, any day.

Popular? Are we talking to live, work, play, vacation? Rather we're talking about how cool we think the cities are in general in the grand scheme of, well, everything? That seems rather idiotic.

I rag on Detroit a lot but this is another mindless list/poll. Oakland is a nice place, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Kinda begs into a chicken-'n'-egg thang then, quickly.

Is Detroit a filter, through which only the hopeful and/or delusional may easily pass?! It does seem to bother those who call themselves realists, yanno, the ones we call inexperienced cynics. Certainly snags the fearful, keeps 'em out of the mix.

It's gotta be something...we have an amazing density of folk who cannot stop loving this place. The Spirit of Detroit is real.

Cheers!
    yes, eyes to see -- hopeful vs. delusional. kinda like the Jesus story. completely crazy fanatical magician or God. dead or resurrected. you get to choose which every day. must be emptied out to make room for the spirit to reside inside.

Why would Detroit be seen as anything but unfavorable to the America who's never lived here? It's not like Detroit was ever a tourist destination, set up to put our best face on everything we do. The media has been bombarding them with the "Better watch out, or this could happen to you!" message for decades.
    The people who've lived here and left, remember a city/area with great affordable housing, good medical care, descent schools available to those who demand it, great food, natural resources, all-season activities, great sport franchises and reasonable commutes... As long as you can find a decent job, you can live like a king compared to some of the "favorably viewed" areas.
    Our grand plan to keep the "big secret" is working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan Bassett View Post
    City life is not a popularity contest. this is great news! we do not need to be homogenized by the mediocrity of the rest of the country that may not "get" who we are now because they are living a DOA past. We are the legacy of strategic industrial dissolution -- so far ahead of the curve it only looks like we're going backwards judged by today's conventions. Knowing how to live with our stunning contradictions and never giving up makes us vital. Forget "like," don't want to be liked. Love this city!
    very well put!! and i agree, how many of the negative votes came from people who have never been to the D??? detroit has so much to offer if you just take the time to look. people are stuck in the old idea that detroit is dirty, dangerous, full of crimes waiting to happen. i'm not saying its as safe as disneyland, but damn, it isn't chicago!!

"Someone got murdered in Detroit last night. I'm worried about you!"
    "Mom, that was a lot closer to you than to me."

I was sort of surprised Detroit got as high a positive percentage as it did, maybe because there is so much ongoing negative attitude from the locals.

I have one simple answer to the situation: so what.....
    Frankly I could care less. Yes Detroit has problems, and also has great things like any place else. My career is based here, and is an industry that is based here, [[robotics, industrial automation) so living outside of SE Michigan is not really going to happen. That being the case, one learns to take advantages of the areas strengths: low cost of living, diverse population/cultures, interesting history, architecture etc, and deal with the known, and all too well documented short comings. In the Midwest, sure Chicago is great, until you realize you need a half million to live in a decent place downtown and pay $12k a year in property taxes, Detroit seems better and better. Basically I couldn't give 2 shits about such polls.
    Last edited by Cinderpath; April-21-12 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typos

In response to cinderpath - most of these alleged "favorite cities" ar probably like Chicago in that sense - extremely expensive if you want to live in a decent place in a decent neighborhood. I think of moving elsewhere on occasion, but the places I'm interested in would cost twice as much, and virtually everything I want there is here [[except genuinely good bagels and knish) and usually cheaper [[Detroit has, for my money, the best Thai food of anywhere I've tried it - NYC, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, LA)

These polls are strange and pointless. People move to cities that best suits their needs and personalities.

We had an interesting experience today. Went to the DIA on invite for Detroit Revealed. We were given cameras and asked to take pictures of "our" Detroit. The Lt said it well, contradictions/vitality.

Not being artist sorts we really want to share our city experiences but feel a little lame in what we should take pictures of. There is some soul searching here. Hate to feed the ruin frenzy but it exists as our reality. We see amazing vitality but don't know how to capture that on film.

Thoughts anyone?

Perhaps a good indication as to the popularity of any city is the rate at which people leave or move into it. Detroit's record based on the 2010 Census was that it lost approx 200,000 residents in the preceding 10 years and its then population was 713,000. I wonder if 2 years later its residents number in the six hundred thousands or whether they have increased. That would say a lot more about popularity than polls. If a city is cheap to live in you can safely bet its because few people from outside want to risk living there; and I'm sure there are many American cities that suffer the same appearance to the outsider as Detroit
    Last edited by coracle; April-22-12 at 07:26 AM.

That's a reasoned assessment.

SteveJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    In response to cinderpath - most of these alleged "favorite cities" ar probably like Chicago in that sense - extremely expensive if you want to live in a decent place in a decent neighborhood. I think of moving elsewhere on occasion, but the places I'm interested in would cost twice as much, and virtually everything I want there is here [[except genuinely good bagels and knish) and usually cheaper [[Detroit has, for my money, the best Thai food of anywhere I've tried it - NYC, Atlanta, DC, Chicago, LA)
    Exactly. If I had a choice, the only other place would be southern California because of the weather but my house [[Nothing special) in California in a neighborhood equal to what I have here would cost over one million. My career would never let me afford something like that unless I opened up my own business. Here I live pretty good and hopefully the Detroit Institute of Bagels will solve your dilemma.

Ronaldj, Take pictures of your neighborhood and it's residents. Kind of a photo essay. Sumas is always talking up how close the people are, I'll bet you could get some good pics.

Stromberg2

I encourage ALL Detroiter’s to move out of Michigan at leastonce in your life. Then you’ll truly be able to appreciate what S.E. Michiganand Detroit has to offer. You’ll realize that you just have to ignore the pollsand all of the negative press and understand that it’s all a bunch ofmeaningless blab. S.E. Michigan is one of the greatest regions in the countryand If you’ve lived elsewhere then you already know it. Chicago takes a beatingfrom Detroiter’s and it seems that Chicago is the city of envy because regionally,they steal so much of our positive attention along with our best and brightest.I certainly understand this, but there is no question that Chicago is one ofthe great American cities ever. What are they supposed to do? Chicago gets badmouthed, New York gets hammered, yet these two cities ignore the haters and keep on moving. And whydo so many people CHOOSE to live in these cities? In the end, that still doesn’tmean that Detroit isn’t one of the greatest places in American either. SoutheastMichigan offers so many amazing things that Chicago cannot.

I’ve lived in several cities outside of the West Coast and Ican tell you that there are a lot of great cities and towns in America. Thething is, S.E. Michigan is probably one the best places to live in this country.No doubt about it. Most people who have bad things to say about our region havenever lived here. And most everyone that comes here realizes what a great placeit is and ends up falling in love with the area. Michigan and Detroit offers somuch more than New York City could ever dream of. Michigan is an outdoorsman’sparadise. We don’t have the congestion, high cost of living and the people ofSoutheast Michigan are as great as they come. I promise you that. Why do somany Detroiter’s and Michigander’s proudly wear our loyalties on our shoulders andshow it loud and proud wherever we decide to live? Because it’s a great place and we’re genuinelyproud of where we’re from.

We just need to continue doing what we’re doing and whenpeople have the choice of moving to another state or coming back home afterliving away, let’s make Michigan a viable option.

Anyone else remember the line in the Chrysler 300 Superbowl Commercial from 2011??

"It's not the story you have been reading in papers....The one being written by people who have never even been here and do not know what we are capable of"

It pretty much sums it up!

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I encourage ALL Detroiter’s to move out of Michigan at leastonce in your life. Then you’ll truly be able to appreciate what S.E. Michiganand Detroit has to offer. You’ll realize that you just have to ignore the pollsand all of the negative press and understand that it’s all a bunch ofmeaningless blab. S.E. Michigan is one of the greatest regions in the countryand If you’ve lived elsewhere then you already know it. Chicago takes a beatingfrom Detroiter’s and it seems that Chicago is the city of envy because regionally,they steal so much of our positive attention along with our best and brightest.I certainly understand this, but there is no question that Chicago is one ofthe great American cities ever. What are they supposed to do? Chicago gets badmouthed, New York gets hammered, yet these two cities ignore the haters and keep on moving. And whydo so many people CHOOSE to live in these cities? In the end, that still doesn’tmean that Detroit isn’t one of the greatest places in American either. SoutheastMichigan offers so many amazing things that Chicago cannot.

I’ve lived in several cities outside of the West Coast and Ican tell you that there are a lot of great cities and towns in America. Thething is, S.E. Michigan is probably one the best places to live in this country.No doubt about it. Most people who have bad things to say about our region havenever lived here. And most everyone that comes here realizes what a great placeit is and ends up falling in love with the area. Michigan and Detroit offers somuch more than New York City could ever dream of. Michigan is an outdoorsman’sparadise. We don’t have the congestion, high cost of living and the people ofSoutheast Michigan are as great as they come. I promise you that. Why do somany Detroiter’s and Michigander’s proudly wear our loyalties on our shoulders andshow it loud and proud wherever we decide to live? Because it’s a great place and we’re genuinelyproud of where we’re from.

We just need to continue doing what we’re doing and whenpeople have the choice of moving to another state or coming back home afterliving away, let’s make Michigan a viable option.
    I like this optimism, but it took me moving to a few other cities before I realized SE Michigan WASN'T as great as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I like this optimism, but it took me moving to a few other cities before I realized SE Michigan WASN'T as great as I thought.
    I still like SE Michigan only because it's my home but I realize I'd be making huge sacrifices if I had to return. I think SE Michigan does have a ton of things to offer that Chicago doesn't, but I don't think SE Michigan offers the great quality of life that the Chicago area does. Chicago may be more expensive but it comes with alot of entitlements that I'd hate to give up.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post

Nice post. I won't lie - when my husband first took me to Detroit about three years ago, I had a very very negative view of Detroit. For background, I was born and raised in Houston [[and its suburbs) and have lived in Wicker Park, Chicago the past few years. But just on the first visit, I realized Detroit was not what I thought it would be [[in a good way). I have really grown to love Detroit [[and Michigan too), my husband's place of birth and where his heart is. We're moving there in a few weeks and although I'll really miss Chicago, I am very excited about moving to the Motor City! You gotta brush off a little dirt to see the shine, but it's really a great city.

It's funny, my younger brother [[20 yrs old, LSU student) is visiting us here in Chicago for a couple weeks this Thursday and the first thing he asked me when we spoke the other day was "Hey, are we going to get to head to Detroit?" He visited for the first time last summer when he stayed with us a couple weeks last summer and I guess it really stuck with him too.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-23-12 at 08:57 PM.