Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another Bowling Alley gone.

Eastpointe Bowl at Gratiot and Toepfer, went by this morning, saw an excavator on top of a pile of rubble.

awwwww. went there many times. i don't know why bowling alleys close. it cheap entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    awwwww. went there many times. i don't know why bowling alleys close. it cheap entertainment.
    In the age of stagnant wages, limited job opportunities, video games and the internet, it ain't cheap enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    While individual participation in the sport of bowling remains high, the number of organized leagues and sanctioned bowlers continue to decline each year. The reasons behind this trend are addressed in the 2000 book Bowling Alone.

Bowling establishments make their big money from league bowlers and the sale of food, drink and liquor to them. With the decline of the number of leagues, it is harder for them to turn a profit. And the Michigan Legislature didn't do them any favors when they banned indoor smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    While individual participation in the sport of bowling remains high, the number of organized leagues and sanctioned bowlers continue to decline each year. The reasons behind this trend are addressed in the 2000 book Bowling Alone.
    Bowling Alone is a really interesting book. Personally, I think some of the things is points out are at the root of many of society's problems right now. Not the only root causes, but they certainly contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Bowling Alone is a really interesting book. Personally, I think some of the things is points out are at the root of many of society's problems right now. Not the only root causes, but they certainly contribute.
    A LOT has changed since 2000, too. We had the internet, but there wasn't nearly as many ways for everyone to waste time on it. We also had cell phones, but they generally just made phone calls. We had laptops, but they were clunky. We've had plenty of technological distractions for a while now but now it seems like there is little reason for people to leave their houses with infinite ways to be amused with gizmos.

what buildings downtown could be converted to have a bowling alley?

About 8 years ago, the Owner of Eastpointe Bowl decided to buy Bananza Lanes from Community Bowling Center on Hoover Rd. and 10 Mile Rd. in Warren, MI. in order to gain profit. Later the Eastpointe Bowl building's roof's collapsed. So the owner decided to sell the property and consectrate on this new business at Bananza Lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what buildings downtown could be converted to have a bowling alley?
    Interestingly enough many movie theatres had been transformed into bowling alleys in the past... but it required removing the slope of the main floor. This doesn't happen today, but it happened back in the 1950s, when TV replaced many trips to the movies... and the era when bowling was going strong.

There are even a few that were converted back to performing arts spaces at a later date.

A conversion to bowling alley requires a building to have a large space unrestricted by support columns... besides Cobo, there aren't too many.

One building that comes to mind [[not downtown though) is the front part of the Broadhead Naval Armory. It has a huge open room that was the drill hall, and could easily be transformed into a bowling alley.

It's been a long time since I went bowling. Lost interest in it.

Not that it matters to this thread, but I've seen new bowling alleys being built in San Francisco and also Royal Oak [[the Emagine theater). So even though Bowling might be declining, there's still fun times to be had in the sport.

That place has been closed for years and their lanes were usually empty. It should actually say Centennial Lanes are gone. That's what it was in its heyday. It seems like most alleys that dno't take care of the lanes [[anyone remember Liberty Bowl) close.

The Eastpointe Bowl was in tax deliquent status, and was basically available to county and city if they chose to seize it. I have heard that the property is going to be redeveloped to house expanded headquarters offices for the adjacent Michigan First Credit Union. Not sure how much of the site will be building versus parking, but still good news that they have a use lined up for the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Interestingly enough many movie theatres had been transformed into bowling alleys in the past... but it required removing the slope of the main floor. This doesn't happen today, but it happened back in the 1950s, when TV replaced many trips to the movies... and the era when bowling was going strong.

There are even a few that were converted back to performing arts spaces at a later date.

A conversion to bowling alley requires a building to have a large space unrestricted by support columns... besides Cobo, there aren't too many.

One building that comes to mind [[not downtown though) is the front part of the Broadhead Naval Armory. It has a huge open room that was the drill hall, and could easily be transformed into a bowling alley.
    Technically, you can convert just about any open-floor office space into a bowling alley. While you might not have the same visual effect of having all the lanes [[or at least a bank of them) with a higher ceiling and unobstructed views, you can easily fit lanes within the context of a traditional cement column construction. The MSU Union has bowling in the basement... I think it had 10-12 lanes, and there was a gap in the middle of the bank for the supporting structural posts.

In fact, a different desing might be more in line with many of the new bowling facilities... such as CJ Barrymore's [[10 lanes, but with giant TVs, etc) and Royal Oak E-Magine [[12 lanes on one floor, private room with 4 more above). This is more in line with providing a more upscale experience, to go with higher prices! Royal Oak Emagine is $30-$70 per lane per hour [[depending on what time of week you go).

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    The Eastpointe Bowl was in tax deliquent status, and was basically available to county and city if they chose to seize it. I have heard that the property is going to be redeveloped to house expanded headquarters offices for the adjacent Michigan First Credit Union. Not sure how much of the site will be building versus parking, but still good news that they have a use lined up for the site.
    There was a huge parking lot behind the bowling alley already

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    There was a huge parking lot behind the bowling alley already
    Exactly... given that the current bank property is like 1/10 th the size, I'm not sure how much of the site will remain parking versus how big of a building they will be adding. Certainly will be easier to access the bank given cross street and Gratiot access points, so I'd imagine they'll have a driveway on Gratiot.

OK here is another VINCENT CHIN VIDEO.
    But wait in the video is the ED BECK'S EASTLAND BOWL LOUNGE

I do not know if Art Centre has been discussed but the location of the bowling alley was quite interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post

Bowling establishments make their big money from league bowlers and the sale of food, drink and liquor to them. With the decline of the number of leagues, it is harder for them to turn a profit. And the Michigan Legislature didn't do them any favors when they banned indoor smoking.
    The unintended consequences of progressive bans on public smoking and the well-intended but overwrought jihad on drinking and driving are harming our pursuit of happiness.

[[I'm not against regulation of smoking and drunk driving -- just the extreme way its being done.)

superduperman Guest

I think the building at 44 Temple might be ideal for something like a Lucky Strike.