Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Happy 100th Birthday, Tiger Stadium

Really cheesed me to hear a long, loving tribute to Fenway Park on NPR, with all the Bostonians all happy about how they had preserved their stadium, with all its traditions.

Fenway and Navin Field [[later Briggs, then Tiger Stadium) opened the same day: April 20, 1912.

Yup. Tigers beat the Cleveland Naps in 11 innings, while Boston also beat the New York Highlanders in 11. I remember watching the results come in on the telegraph at the Detroit Times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup. Tigers beat the Cleveland Naps in 11 innings, while Boston also beat the New York Highlanders in 11. I remember watching the results come in on the telegraph at the Detroit Times.
    Haha. And you'd have to be 110 today to be a 10-year-old copyboy at the time.

lol he looks good for his age.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Really cheesed me to hear a long, loving tribute to Fenway Park on NPR, with all the Bostonians all happy about how they had preserved their stadium, with all its traditions.

Fenway and Navin Field [[later Briggs, then Tiger Stadium) opened the same day: April 20, 1912.
    You are so right!!!! I have been to Fenway, while it is a very good place to watch a game Tiger Stadium was a far better place to watch the game especially from the upper deck. Watching all the crap on tv this morning really made me sick to my stomach! Now we have to sit in a monument to one man's greed while Boston gets to revel in their heritage, that really sucks!

Well if Fetzer would've maintained it the way Fenway's been maintained it probably would've had a better chance of being a heralded ball park like Fenway is. However, Fetzer, didn't want to make the investment. Looking back, when he sold the stadium to the city for $1.00, that was the beginning of the end. Although I did take some comfort in hearing a report about Fenway in which the players say it's a dump.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Well if Fetzer would've maintained it the way Fenway's been maintained it probably would've had a better chance of being a heralded ball park like Fenway is. However, Fetzer, didn't want to make the investment. Looking back, when he sold the stadium to the city for $1.00, that was the beginning of the end. Although I did take some comfort in hearing a report about Fenway in which the players say it's a dump.
    You are very correct Fetzer was not into spending any money at all. On the other hand I chatted with a Gordon Bugby an architect/engineer around the time of the start of the Tiger Stadium fan club. He had a restoration architect come in and look at the stadium, and his was quite suprised that for all the neglect the stadium was structurally in good condition. A fact the current owners went out of their way do keep quiet.

As the years go by the decision by the Tigers to leave Tiger Stadium seems ever more infuriatingly short-sighted. If you visit the Kenmore Sq./Fenway area in Boston, or Wrigleyville in Chicago, today you really have to wonder about all that we potentially lost - not just the ball park itself [[which was heartbreaking enough). The potential was there to have something unique and historical to build around on the near west side, but, as usual, Detroit blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    As the years go by the decision by the Tigers to leave Tiger Stadium seems ever more infuriatingly short-sighted. If you visit the Kenmore Sq./Fenway area in Boston, or Wrigleyville in Chicago, today you really have to wonder about all that we potentially lost - not just the ball park itself [[which was heartbreaking enough). The potential was there to have something unique and historical to build around on the near west side, but, as usual, Detroit blew it.
    Yeah, I think the biggest tragedy from losing the old Tiger Stadium is that the new stadium was built so far away. Even in NYC most people have largely forgotten about the old Yankee Stadium because the new one went up in close enough proximity to maintain the neighborhood. That's why I wish Ilitch would consider building the new Red Wings on the site of the old Tiger Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yeah, I think the biggest tragedy from losing the old Tiger Stadium is that the new stadium was built so far away. Even in NYC most people have largely forgotten about the old Yankee Stadium because the new one went up in close enough proximity to maintain the neighborhood. That's why I wish Ilitch would consider building the new Red Wings on the site of the old Tiger Stadium.
    Now that is the best idea I have heard yet. And wile you are at it fix that darn train station too please.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Now that is the best idea I have heard yet. And wile you are at it fix that darn train station too please.
    No, i think the city still wants it to become a Family Dollar or something ...

The question could be asked then, would the Grand Circus Park area be seeing its mini-rebirth if Comerica wasn't built, plus Ford Field probably wouldn't have been built in Detroit either. As much as I hated to see Tigers Stadium go it probably was a positive for corktown as there is less reason to knock down buildings for parking and in the long run there will probably be fewer surface lots in the area around the stadiums as there is sufficient density to call for parking ramps. I believe that when they finally decide where they are building the new Joe a lot of those surface lots wil be built up because there will be no reason for land speculation at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Ray, I bet you remember when the Dead Sea was just sick, too.

I miss it also, even though I'm not a big baseball fan. The history that was in that place. Here are a couple of photos I took late one night in the last days.

Name:  059.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  057.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  24.8 KB

This afternoon about 3, I drove by the empty plot where Navin Field/Briggs Stadium/Tiger Stadium once stood. I was pleased to see a group of men
    playing baseball on the field. I hope they were commemorating 100 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post

I happened to catch the PBS Fenway spot the night before opening day. Apparently Fenway had been let to rot and was all but written off until the Red Sox were purchased by the current owners, a group not even from Boston [[minor uproar). Whether to generate goodwill or not, they valued the old beaten-down ballpark, despite the Red Sox woeful history [[outside of the Yaz, Jim Rice, Carlton Fisk, Fred Lynn, Luis Tiant days, and the Rocket, the Red Sox sucked in my lifetime, almost as much as the Tigers).

12 years later, a good architectural firm, some great plumbers [[fish from the Charles would occasionally back up from the storm drains onto the playing field after a massive rain), closing off a few streets and some great vision, has made Fenway the treasure of New England. Oh, and a World Series ring or two after a 90 year drought doesn't hurt either.

I'm sure alot of you remember Herbie Redmond

Occurrence Guest

I always thought Navin Field and Fenway are both noted as opening the same day of the Titanic sinking?

I can't believe people here 13 years ago werren't throwing batteries at the people who suggested we move the team out of Tiger Stadium. Comerica Park is so medicore. Funny how nobody seemed to like Comerica until the team got good in 2006.

People can't just let it go.

Thirty years from now no one will be talking about Tiger Stadium. Unless they rename Comerica Park Tiger Stadium once again.

Personally, I hate these sponsor names of the new ballparks with a passion.

Default Tiger stadium not forgotten

check out today's Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1205729.column

Some might argue that this has helped Corktown in the long run. A lot that neighborhod was demolished for surface parking lots for, I have to wonder given the Macdeondian Parking Cartel business practices how much more of that neighborhood would be gone. Would the Slows block have been cleared for more parking?

In a way I can relate yo you. As a football fan [[or soccer as yuou persistently tend to call it...), I also mourned the loss of a great venue. This was our beloved stadium until the 1994 season.

I had a season ticket for the northwest corner of the stadium [[in this picture it's the bottom left). There was an electricity box underneath the light tower on which I climbed to have a grandstand view of the field. A few years before closing some temporary stands were created. From there I made this panorama picture.

The stadium came down to make space for an expansion for the local hospital. A few years back I tried to find the pitch lines back with the help of old aereal pictures. Here's what the grid looked like. I was able to pinpoint three of the four corner flag in the present situation with the GPS [[I'm a serveyer so I have the resources). This mark on the ground I placed [[Illegally )was the south west corner of the pitch. And here in the grass is the south east corner.

The new stadium is in fact closer to the city center, something in common with Comerica Stadium. This is what it looked in 1997, three years after opening. Already the first reconstruction is taking place in the northwest corner of the mainstand.

It took me years to get over the loss of the old stadium but now, after several explansions, the stadium is now housing about 26000 spectators. This summer another expansion will start which will take the mark up to 30000.

Hardly recognizable but after 18 years the stadium now looks like this. The core of the stadium is the same as the picture above.

Say what you will about Ilitch and Comerica Park. Tom Monahan would have moved the Tigers out of the city if Ilitch didn't buy the team. And it's questionable the Tigers could have survived the past decade with the limited revenue Tiger Stadium provided [[no suites, no parking, challenged concession opportunities).

Does anyone have any news on the status of the sequel for the "Stranded at the Corner" documentary on Tiger stadium? I believe it was tentatively titled "Force Out" and was highlighted in one of the "Preserve Tiger Stadium" websites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast