Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is going on downtown today???

Traffic was TERRIBLE. I see all of the streets packed with cars. What is going on down here today??

Quote Originally Posted by guito13 View Post
    Traffic was TERRIBLE. I see all of the streets packed with cars. What is going on down here today??
    Rush hour?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Rush hour?
    No, this was way worse. Lots of out of state plates also.

You make this sound as if this is a bad thing.

No, this was way worse. Lots of out of state plates also.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    You make this sound as if this is a bad thing.
    You are overthinking and possibly trying to troll. I am curious whats happening down here today. Also, I dont think ANYONE enjoys sitting in a traffic jam.

I was just down there last weekend to check out the Russell Industrial Art Center. We went downtown bar hopping afterwards, and it may just be my imagination but over the past year it just seems busier every weekend. Which is a good thing.

You are overthinking and possibly trying to troll. I am curious whats happening down here today. Also, I dont think ANYONE enjoys sitting in a traffic jam.

SAE Convention @ Cobo...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    SAE Convention @ Cobo...
    That would explain it. SAE is huge. In the 90's they had two or three seperate conventions, then rolled them all into one massive convention per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    SAE Convention @ Cobo...
    SAE doesn't open til Tuesday, April 24. So there's got to be another explanation.

When I arrived downtown around 9:30, there wasn't much traffic on my drive from the Madison Ave. exit onto John R, by the CompuWare Bldg., around Campus Martius, and across Fort St. No problem parking. No jacked-up prices except at Cobo where the guys setting up for SAE don't mind paying $10 if they get reimbursed.

Nah. Guito was right. I rolled in around 8:45 and my first 3 words were WTF! No doubt there was heavier traffic than normal. Especially for a Friday.

But in line with other posters, we should consider that a good thing. Being able to cruise in to work without riding the brakes may be convenient, but its a sign that we don't have a healthy, vibrant downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    SAE doesn't open til Tuesday, April 24. So there's got to be another explanation.

When I arrived downtown around 9:30, there wasn't much traffic on my drive from the Madison Ave. exit onto John R, by the CompuWare Bldg., around Campus Martius, and across Fort St. No problem parking. No jacked-up prices except at Cobo where the guys setting up for SAE don't mind paying $10 if they get reimbursed.

It's the SAH [[Society of Architectual Historians) conference, probably.

Started on Wednesday and rolls until today or tomorrow.

One thing that would relieve traffic would be a light rail system linking downtown with the neighborhoods. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    It's the SAH [[Society of Architectual Historians) conference, probably.

Started on Wednesday and rolls until today or tomorrow.
    And it makes sense that they'd be rollin' slowly through our wonderful urban canyons, sightseein'.

Another mystery solved...

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    And it makes sense that they'd be rollin' slowly through our wonderful urban canyons, sightseein'.

Another mystery solved...
    I was downtown to attend SAH....most of the attendees flew in for the conference and stayed downtown.

I would also point out that SAH was here yesterday too and I arrived downtown about 8:30 Thursday morning. No traffic jam then.

I still think there must be another explanation for the heavy traffic this morning.

It's 4/20 and things were moving slow hmmmmmmm.....

I'm all for a vibrant downtown, but I wish people would let me know when they plan to use it, so I can stay off of Jefferson.

I got so tired of waiting to turn onto Washington, I turned back around and went up Randolph all the way to Grand Circus Park to avoid the commotion...

Pretty sure it was the Tigers traffic for the game against Boston that was rained out. So you had people leaving early from the game.

I noticed increased traffic too, both early and close to when the tigers game was supposed to start. Good thing though, more people need to see all that downtown has to offer! Then I met Jose Valverde [[Papa Grande!)... Great guy!

^^^
    How did you meet him?

Stromberg2