Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New OKC, Detroit take note..

I've attended Langston University in Langston, OK from 2004-09. When I've first visit OKC, 45 mins away from my university, it was a ghost town downtown. No real active city life, NOW look at them only less than 10 years later. Beautiful NEW Devon Tower Headquarter Skyscraper, current construction of the city light-rail, Renovated former "FORD arena" home of OKC Thunders. More downtown hotels, including Aloft Hotel. Active and fun "Bricktown", nowhere close to our Bricktown. More loft and condo development downtown, including major retail outlets. Will OKC pass us up..?

Personally I MUCH prefer the Detroit skyline from an architectural standpoint. But yes, of course light rail [[or any additional public trans) and retail is something that can much boost the city. I am a fan of Aloft hotels though.

I certainly don't give credit to all of the new so-called downtowns popping up all over the place. The ones WHO WOULD LOVE TO ATTEMPT TO COMPARE THEMSELVES TOTHE GREAT AMERICAN CITIES. And we all know what great American cities I’m referring to. I think they’re great places for what they are, and also how they’vebuilt themselves to get to where they are. But you’re comparing apples to oranges…again.

How in the world can OKC pass Detroit? A real city! It’s not even close. OKC mightbe a very nice place to be but it cannot be compared to Detroit in terms of acity. Maybe the downtown has more franchise restaurants and newer buildings butit still cannot be compared to the City of Detroit. Maybe Phoenix, Portland, Austin or one of those places but NEVER Detroit.

I “personally” judge a great American city by its vibrant and bustling ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves, rich history, rich architecture, density, parks andcultural institutions. Detroit is by far an international city that has been beat to death but we STILL maintain all of the traits I mentioned above.

I’venever been to OKC so I might be wrong? Please correct me if I am.
    Last edited by illwill; April-20-12 at 10:13 AM.

North Houston what?

If Detroit had an oil company that needed 1.8 million sf of space, I'm sure they'd have one of those 850-ft high glass boxes too. Postcard shots do not a city make.

There is no light rail in Oklahoma City, and none is planned.

That huge tower is being built by an energy company, thanks to the driving habits of Americans and the high cost of crude oil. It's basically a monument to sprawl.

And Oklahoma City is among the contenders for worst downtown in the U.S. Maybe Jacksonville would out-suck it.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    I “personally” judge a great American city by its vibrant and bustling ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves, rich history, rich architecture, density, parks andcultural institutions.
    "vibrant and bustling ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves" Are you talking about Detroit? All of those vibrant and bustling neighborhood enclaves left Detroit years ago.

"rich history" Yes, there was a history.

"rich architecture" If it hasn't been torn down.

"density" At 750,000 population, Detroit is not very dense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    "vibrant and bustling ethnic neighborhoods and enclaves" Are you talking about Detroit? All of those vibrant and bustling neighborhood enclaves left Detroit years ago.

"rich history" Yes, there was a history.

"rich architecture" If it hasn't been torn down.

"density" At 750,000 population, Detroit is not very dense.

Density and Population are two very different things and Detroit is still one of the denser cities in the country even with the population loss...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Density and Population are two very different things and Detroit is still one of the denser cities in the country even with the population loss...
    There are some dense people but most of them are in city goverment!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    There is no light rail in Oklahoma City, and none is planned.
    That huge tower is being built by an energy company, thanks to the driving habits of Americans and the high cost of crude oil. It's basically a monument to sprawl.
    And Oklahoma City is among the contenders for worst downtown in the U.S. Maybe Jacksonville would out-suck it.
    Detroit has no light rail, unlike Charlotte, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, New Orleans,San Diego, Austin,St. Louis,Denver, Sacramento, Salt Lake,Minneapolis-ALL cities a fraction of the D's size, btw There's no such list as 'Worst Downtown' I've spent a ton of time in OKC & Oklahoma-ripping on "that huge tower" & "crude oil" is stupid-you could make the same claim on the Ren Cen & GM or Chrysler's Auburn Hills[[The Glass House in Dearborn seems downright quaint). Oil's what Oklahoma has, I didn't see you sympathizing for them during the gas slump of '88[[99-cent menus were invented by a Taco Bell franchisee in Tulsa during this period) If it makes you feel any better, thanx in part 2 social media, Millenials have no interest in cars, period: http://www.thetakeaway.org/2012/apr/...ving-less-why/ OKC's Bricktown is downright charming
    ...Okies never blew up Detroit, it's terrible we can't say the same thing