Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Parking Garage @ Randolph & Monroe. What's going on?

Anybody know the future of the large parking garage at the southwest corner of Randolph and Monroe? It hasn't operated as a garage for some time. Recently, City Slicker Shoes moved out and across the street. The other small shoe store has been promoting a "going out of business" sale. The only other business in any of the storefronts is Pulse Bar.

I stopped in the small shoe store and talked to the owner. He says the DEGC owns the building and is not renewing leases. He said they have plans to tear it down.

This worries me for two reasons. While this is not a beautiful piece of architecture, at least it had some ongoing businesses located in it. I doubt the small shoe store is going to relocate. Is one more large, empty corner going to be better? Second, it is adjacent to the historic National Theatre. One slip of the Adamo wrecking ball and kaput!

This block is a great location especially when one considers all the new development around Campus Martius at one end, and Greektown at the other end. However, we have seen the outstanding record of the DEGC for clearing lots for future development.

Does anybody have more information?

I thought it was being renovated by the DEGC, but I heard that about 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    renovated by the DEGC
    That's an oxymoron.

DEGC: Demolishing Everything George Chooses.

lol
    yeah i figured as much