Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 203 Cloverly Grosse Pointe Farms

I came across this brochure for the home recently. A couple of the pics show some of the original furnishings.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks for the pics p69! I always wondered about that house. Didn't know it was a Saarinen design, especially a collaboration of father and son. Saw the error in the comments about the Chicago Tribune Tower... Eliel's design was only first runner up, but it got worldwide attention for its' sculptured look, and was a great influence for skyscrapers for much of the 1920s.

It's sad that Eero died so young... at 51.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the pics p69! I always wondered about that house. Didn't know it was a Saarinen design, especially a collaboration of father and son. Saw the error in the comments about the Chicago Tribune Tower... Eliel's design was only first runner up, but it got worldwide attention for its' sculptured look, and was a great influence for skyscrapers for much of the 1920s.

It's sad that Eero died so young... at 51.
    My parents came close to purchasing the home in the mid 80's this was the info given to them when they looked at the home. From what I understand most if not all the interior items designed by the Saarinen's were sold, its to bad the home was almost completely original when we looked at it in the 80's.

Little off-topic...I have seen the blueprints of a similiar"modern" home on Seminole...maybe three blocks off Jefferson...ya know, that modern, red home. Is that a Saarinen?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Little off-topic...I have seen the blueprints of a similiar"modern" home on Seminole...maybe three blocks off Jefferson...ya know, that modern, red home. Is that a Saarinen?
    I have Donald Paul Young listed as the architect of 1751 Seminole. The AIA has Young's office at 1542 N. Woodward Bloomfield Hills in 1970.

The excellent designer Alexander Girard--a Saarinen colleague--also lived in GPF.

I live on the West Coast now--originally from Royal Oak. My design friends here have no idea how important and influencial Michigan was to modern design from the 50s on.

Off-topic: The Saarinen architects' first names are big-time crossword puzzle answers because they are so vowel-rich. It annoys me to no end because I can't remember the spellings.
    /end rant
    Last edited by Brich; April-19-12 at 11:57 PM.

Eliel, Eero, Loja, Pipsan...

More from a 1982 Detroit Free Press article.

Part of an article from the June 21, 2007 Grosse Pointe News:

The following three buildings were given a bronze marker by the Grosse Pointe Historical Society at its annual meeting to designate their historical significance to the community.

Charles and Ingrid Koebel House

Eliel and Eero Saarinen, Architects, completed 1940
    203 Cloverly Road, Grosse Pointe Farms

In 1937, Charles and Ingrid Koebel retained the architectural firm of Eliel and Eero Saarinen to design and build a residence in Grosse Pointe Farms. The project was the first commission of Eliel and Eero. Both Eliel and Eero Saarinen worked on the design; Eero later wrote in a summary of his career that he spent about two months working on the design. The involvement and influence of his father, Eliel Saarinen, is reflected in many aspects of the design. In many respects, the house mirrors the Saarinen House at Cranbrook, Bloomfield Hills. Robert F Swanson, who associated with his father-in-law and brother-in-law, prepared final plans for the house in October 1939. Pipsan Saarinen Swanson was retained as interior designer. Other members of the Saarinen family provided additional design elements, including custom-woven textiles and art objects. The house features custom designed interiors, lighting, hardware, furnishings and finishes.

The Saarinen design of the house contains repeated use of circles, inscribed in rectangles, and reflects the architects' integration of interior and exterior environments, hand-made and machine-made elements, and of architecture, sculpture, art, interior design and fine craftsmanship.

Built on a 154-foot by 170-foot corner lot, the two-story, five-bedroom flat roofed structure contains 5,600 square feet of living space. Completed in 1940, the home was owned by the Koebel family until 1985, when it was acquired by the present owners, Mariam C. Noland and James A. Kelly. It is one of only two single family homes in the U.S., outside of Cranbrook, that was jointly designed by Eliel and Eero Saarinen.

Entering the house, a curved brick wall leads guests into the library with its original bookcases ahd a banquette seating nine. The brick wall in the library is accented with ribbons of Monel steel and mortar. The 45-foot living-dining room has two 13-foot double-pane window walls with Monel steel framing which make the rear lawn and garden seem almost part of the interior.

The dining area is defined by a curvilinear, receded mahogany, paneled wall that has three niches for sculpture. In the garden room, the quartzite sandstone floor, carefully detailed brick walls and bamboo ceiling are all original. The 20 foot window wall offers a view of the curved brick wall across the lawn. There are five bedrooms and four baths on the second floor, three of which have Pewabic tile. Original built-in dressers, desks and bookcases are found in four of the bedrooms, the fifth one was designated as a maid's room. Framed original sketches attributed to Eero Saarinen and other concept drawings for the house are hung in the upstairs hall.

Three of the original "signature" Saarinen gates are located on the properly.

I enjoy bicycling Cloverly ST.
    The road has a median with a sidewalk right up the middle.
    Never knew that house had such significance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    I enjoy bicycling Cloverly ST.
    The road has a median with a sidewalk right up the middle.
    Never knew that house had such significance.
    One of several homes on Cloverly designed by well known Detroit architects including Robert Derrick, C. Howard Crane and J. Ivan Dise.

p69... who built the Spanish Colonial style house with the terra cotta tile roof [[the one with the enorrmous skylight) on the corner of Cloverly & Ridge Rd.?

I've always been fascinated by that house. Sort of reminds me of the Fisher Mansion [[Hare Krishna) near the waterfront... a C. Howard Crane design.

p69... who built the Spanish Colonial style house with the terra cotta tile roof [[the one with the enorrmous skylight) on the corner of Cloverly & Ridge Rd.?

I've always been fascinated by that house. Sort of reminds me of the Fisher Mansion [[Hare Krishna) near the waterfront... a C. Howard Crane design.
    That particular home I do not have any information at the moment. I will look it up and let you know what I can find next week.

Great information in the entire thread. Thanks!

My former employer and her husband currently own the Cloverly home, and I've had the good fortune of visiting several times. It is stunning. I will have to ask her if she's seen the brochure!

I could not find much on your home but a few interior pics I will post shortly. Although I did find a home designed by Marcus Burrowes on Cloverly. So not a total loss. I will post the pic of the home as soon as I can take a pic for the Burrowes fanatics on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans64 View Post
    The excellent designer Alexander Girard--a Saarinen colleague--also lived in GPF.

I live on the West Coast now--originally from Royal Oak. My design friends here have no idea how important and influencial Michigan was to modern design from the 50s on.
    An Alexander Girard design for you. The home is located at 55 Vendome Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. and built in 1952. I would have taken a pic of his home at 222 Lothrop also in Grosse Pointe Farms, but the dwelling has been altered to a point that it was not worth my time to take the image.

Wow, positively elegant; I'm breathless.