Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Considering Moving to Detroit in Early 2013 [[My First Post)

Hello everyone! I currently reside in Saginaw, however, I travel to Detroit on a monthly basis or more. We love it there and are cosnidering our options for moving. I have worked in Business Administration with AT&T and Human Resources with a chemical company for the past eight years, so I am hoping to be able to find some work opportunities in the Downtown. My partner and I are both in our mid-late twenties so the Downtown is what most holds our interest.

I have driven through the Lafayette Park area several times now, and also looked at a few co-op listings online. The areas seems great and close to everything. For an outsider new to Detroit, would you consider this to be one of the better areas near Downtown in which to move? Sorry if this question is asked often! It's always nice to get some feedback from people who know what they are talking about though!

I moved to Lafayette Park 4 years ago and I love it. I wish I would of moved there earlier. It's very safe. I walk downtown all the time, day and night. I love riding my bike around the area. We have the Dequinder Cut, River Walk, Eastern Market all withing walking and biking. No matter where you live there is crime. Most of the crime in Lafayette Park is cars being broken into. Don't leave anything in your car and it should be safe. I think if your street wise you will be fine. Come by and park your car on Lafayette someday and just walk around to get a better idea on how it is there. I'm also a big fan of Corktown.

Lafayette Park is nice, and close to Eastern Market, Downtown, the Riverfront and the Dequinder Cut greenway which is great for jogging and connects to the Riverwalk. Just make sure you are in Lafayette Park "proper," west of the Dequinder Cut, closer to Downtown.

I would also consider Corktown, Midtown and Eastern Market areas as they are all adjacent to Downtown and seeing a good deal of new development, slowly becoming more pedestrian and bike friendly and new businesses such as coffee shops opening up. A whole foods is planned for the corner of John R and Mack in Midtown, if that is any indication.

We're in the process of moving to Detroit from Chicago right now [[just put an offer in on a house a few days ago!). We've been looking at Corktown and Midtown, FYI.

Welcome to DYes jpbollma!

I live near Midtown and for certain there are advantages to that.

i have a co-op in town square with a back yard on st. aubin.
    i love it. garage, 3 bedroom & basement. real cheap to buy.
    as others said everything is in walking distance. i even walk to old miami, jumbo's and the like. 50 min walk. eastern market 10 min. greektown 15 min. all nice walks and oh yeah...riverwalk via the dequindre cut out my back door 15 min.
    i have been considering selling though. bad economic times. need to lower monthly nut. let me know if you would like to view my co-op.

Thank you for the information everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    Hello everyone! I currently reside in Saginaw, however, I travel to Detroit on a monthly basis or more. We love it there and are cosnidering our options for moving. I have worked in Business Administration with AT&T and Human Resources with a chemical company for the past eight years, so I am hoping to be able to find some work opportunities in the Downtown. My partner and I are both in our mid-late twenties so the Downtown is what most holds our interest.

I have driven through the Lafayette Park area several times now, and also looked at a few co-op listings online. The areas seems great and close to everything. For an outsider new to Detroit, would you consider this to be one of the better areas near Downtown in which to move? Sorry if this question is asked often! It's always nice to get some feedback from people who know what they are talking about though!
    It is nearly impossible to beat Lafayette Park if you are a person who cherishes relaxation and a peaceful setting. It also dosent hurt to be walking distance to Downtown, Greektown, the Riverwalk, the Eastern Market, Comerica Park, Ford Field, a movie theatre [[Ren Cen)... ammenities abound.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    . Just make sure you are in Lafayette Park "proper," west of the Dequinder Cut, closer to Downtown.
    nana nana nana nana code-speak [[batman song)

I can only imagine what would happen if I dared utter the phrase "Lafayette Park proper" at a community meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagley View Post
    I can only imagine what would happen if I dared utter the phrase "Lafayette Park proper" at a community meeting.
    Well, East of the dequindre cut is Elmwood park, right? It technically is a different neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    Well, East of the dequindre cut is Elmwood park, right? It technically is a different neighborhood.
    Yes, and much more recently developed, and has a far more suburban feel. Many people still call it Lafayette Park though, not like Detroit neighborhoods are well defined anyway. If you want to be really specific as to what is Lafayette Park "proper", it would be only the original Van Der Rohe apartments.

I just call Lafayette Park everything west of the Dequider Cut.

ill be moving into one of the co-ops by the end of may. there are a lot of great places to live in the city but for my money nothing beats the location and living in a mies.

I am in this boat as well and am planning an April 2013 move to LP. I'm currently going through the buy vs rent benefits and comparing some of the buildings.

Ideally I'd end up at 1300 Lafayette, but that might be a year or two away, but I'm looking at some rents from 700-1500 for 2 bedrooms, when some places that I could purchase are $20-$50k.

Some locations specifically are 1301/1995/1957 Orleans, Pavilion Apartments, Jean Rivard, Skyview and some random places on Cherboneau and Larned streets.

I just moved back home from Wisconsin and currently live in Ypsilanti. I plan on getting out and walking around the area soon. After researching LP and driving around there briefly, I'm looking for some general feedback as I start to sort things out.

I will like to share my story..well process, in moving back to Detroit in 2009. My friend and I was attending Langston University back in 2005 where we played trombone in the marching band. We later formed a production company and wanted to start a LIVE production company here in Detroit. He's originally from Chicago, I convinced him in deciding to relocate here to help jump start our venture. He visited once and never to return home to Chicago, we currently live in Midtown and love it.

Since being here for 3 years, we have hosted and planned numerous music and fashion shows through our national organization "Black Men's Xchange Detroit in Downtown, held at the Virgil Carr Center in Paradise Valley. We have invested in our community through social and media networking, bringing in individuals from Baltimore, New York, DC and Atlanta to work, live and play here, also bringing in their talents. So far, I've convinced 7 individuals to relocate and invest here within a year.

My point is, what does newcomers see in Detroit that current resident don't? They all have visited once and was amazed, I showed them the good and bad. It puzzled me sometimes seeing Detroiter's not seeing the possibility and opportunities we have here. Maybe some never traveled or something..? I wonder if others are convincing others to move here, how are they doing it? I can share some methods..great to see people moving here, most of my neighbor are new Detroiter's.

In the early 70's I moved to Lafayette Park. Lafayette Park was "thee" place to live. In my opinion it still is. Lafayette Park is as beautiful now as it was in the 70's. No neighborhood is perfect or without problems. But looking at Lafayette Park now and knowing how it looked over almost 40 years ago should tell you a lot about a community in addition to what the other posters have already said.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    My point is, what does newcomers see in Detroit that current resident don't? They all have visited once and was amazed, I showed them the good and bad. It puzzled me sometimes seeing Detroiter's not seeing the possibility and opportunities we have here. Maybe some never traveled or something..? I wonder if others are convincing others to move here, how are they doing it? I can share some methods..great to see people moving here, most of my neighbor are new Detroiter's.
    GThomas,

I live in the upper south and have been plotting a move to Detroit for years. I love hockey and cold weather and an urban vibe. While I'm working out some issues with relocating, my best friend from Texas got a job in Ann Arbor and made the move. She lived in A2 for a year and decided that it was way too rural for her [[she's from a big city) and wanted to try Detroit. I've been talking it up for years and she's taken the plunge and will move in next week.

I think many of us see the possibility in Detroit. I was planning on moving back to Chicago but realized that I can't live the life I want on Chicago cost of living prices. I like to travel and if your rent/mortgage is that expensive, it's very limiting. We see the incomes in Detroit comparable with Chicago but the cost of living is so much lower.

I think we see the cultural opportunities and the sports teams as a plus. And we're just curious enough to try it. I think most of the country has such a low opinion of Detroit but very few people have every visited. If more people had an open mind, they'd be shocked at how great the city can be. My friend jumped at the A2 job because I'd been pointing out good things about Detroit for years.

It's all relative. Chicago has more murders a day than most people realize and they've got a great corrupt political system. All in all, at least I can afford Detroit.

gthomas,

Here is my story.

My family is from here. My parents both graduated from Cody. When I was born, they bought a small home in that area on Rutheford. As things continued to worsen, my mom told me the story that as they were leaving the city limits to move out to Howell that she told my dad, "Detroit will be back." She has always believed that Detroit would come back. She passed that belief to me.

Life led me out of state for work, because my wife at the time didn't want to live in the area. Since my divorce, it has been my dream to come back and do my part to make Detroit a better place to live.

I plan on coaching softball in the city, and helping board up houses, donating time to different groups, and joining a church. I also plan on buying as much of my furnishings in the city as I can. My dentist, doctor, barber and all other services will be in LP first or at least in the city limits. I believe a lot of people see potential in Detroit, but for whatever reason schools/kids/spouse/mortgage/work they are unable to move back into the city. I now have the freedom to build my own future and I choose to do it in Lafayette Park. I'm going to make Detroit a better place to live, or die trying.

The reason I'm looking at LP is that it is close to downtown/People Mover etc, I'm eventually hoping to work down there and get my commute down to 0. I want to bike on the Dequindre Cut, walk on the Riverwalk, and buy my veggies at the Eastern Market. The area is perfect for a city boy in his mid-40s looking for a new adventure. I can live in Detroit, give back to the city I love, and yet do it in a relatively safe neighborhood. I can't wait to get down there.

Quote Originally Posted by syrett4 View Post
    I am in this boat as well and am planning an April 2013 move to LP. I'm currently going through the buy vs rent benefits and comparing some of the buildings.

Ideally I'd end up at 1300 Lafayette, but that might be a year or two away, but I'm looking at some rents from 700-1500 for 2 bedrooms, when some places that I could purchase are $20-$50k.

Some locations specifically are 1301/1995/1957 Orleans, Pavilion Apartments, Jean Rivard, Skyview and some random places on Cherboneau and Larned streets.

I just moved back home from Wisconsin and currently live in Ypsilanti. I plan on getting out and walking around the area soon. After researching LP and driving around there briefly, I'm looking for some general feedback as I start to sort things out.
    A lot of the housing around that area are co-ops, so you buy a unit and then after that you still pay a monthly fee. So for example, at 1300 on zillow the units range from $50,000 to $130,000 to buy and then the monthly fees start at $650 a month.

The Pavilion is all rental and I've only ever heard good things about it.

Lafayette Towers [[on Orleans) was bought and ran into the ground a few years ago, and aside from management being dysfunctional a lot of good residents have moved away and been replaced by riff raff. iirc the Department of Housing and Urban Development [[HUD) now owns it, and the city is going to try to find someone decent to buy it. It might be better to wait and see what happens with it before renting there.

1995/1997 Orleans, I don't know much about it but my impression is that it's a little on the sketchy side. But it's really close to Eastern market, that little stretch of stores on Gratiot, the Dequindre Cut, and is also on the fringe of Lafayette Park. The fact that the units there are selling for several times less than the developments to the south of it says something, imo.

I don't know anything more about Jean Rivard Apartments than what the apartment sites list, but they're within walking distance to a People Mover stop which means you can walk to anywhere downtown. The units also have radiant heating [[which means that instead of ducts carrying hot air into the rooms, the floor itself is heated and warms the room. It's considered to provide higher quality heating and is also very energy efficient) which is rare in the US.

Jason,

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely take it into account. The radiant heating sounds awesome.

In 1300, I want one of the XX01 places, and is where I want to end up ideally.

Good locks, a dog, a garage for your car, bars on your windows and you're all set. Fuel your car in the suburbs. Gas station seems like that spot in Detroit to avoid. Just my advice. i dont mean to discourage someone. Its cheap to buy in Detroit and Detroit needs homeowners.

Good advice. The things you mention are crucial [[though bars on all windows depends still a bit on area in Detroit) or your just leaving yourself open for problems. Don't forget a robust alarm system for car [[especially if you have ANY Chrysler product), not just the noise making stuff but a engine disabler with an alt power source, or tamper engine killout feature [[crooks just pull alarm from main battery and drive off otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Good locks, a dog, a garage for your car, bars on your windows and you're all set. Fuel your car in the suburbs. Gas station seems like that spot in Detroit to avoid. Just my advice. i dont mean to discourage someone. Its cheap to buy in Detroit and Detroit needs homeowners.

Radiant heat is not warm enough for me. It only knocks off the chill. Never really warms the room. Perhaps talk to occupants to see how it works for them?

Jason,

Thank you for the info. I'll definitely take it into account. The radiant heating sounds awesome.

In 1300, I want one of the XX01 places, and is where I want to end up ideally.

I feel you and have friends that live in that area. I've shopped down there. I guess that King apartment area is kinda sketchy along with a few other stretches that are obviously not in order. You just have to watch your back and get to know good neighbors quickly and not be isolated.

The reason I'm looking at LP is that it is close to downtown/People Mover etc, I'm eventually hoping to work down there and get my commute down to 0. I want to bike on the Dequindre Cut, walk on the Riverwalk, and buy my veggies at the Eastern Market. The area is perfect for a city boy in his mid-40s looking for a new adventure. I can live in Detroit, give back to the city I love, and yet do it in a relatively safe neighborhood. I can't wait to get down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Radiant heat is not warm enough for me. It only knocks off the chill. Never really warms the room. Perhaps talk to occupants to see how it works for them?

Then the system was improperly designed, installed, and/or adjusted. Radiant heat is better in every way over forced-air. Unless you like dry, allergen-laded air pumped throughout your home.

Radiant heating is more efficient and warms the objects in the room, while the air never gets stifling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast