Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Garden Theater to be Redeveloped

The long-closed Garden Theater on Woodward Avenue in Detroit's Midtown received a $750,000 incentive from the Michigan Strategic Fund, the state's Economic Development Corp. said Wednesday.

The building between Alexandrine and Selden first opened in 1912 was one of the largest theaters built outside downtown at the time. It was last used as an adults-only theater.

The plan is create a 32,000-square-foot entertainment venue that will feature live music and other artistic performances, according to a statement by the Michigan Economic Development Corp. The 1,300-seat facility will also support corporate conference and sales meetings that require access to high end visual and sound equipment and a large auditorium setting.

The project is estimated to create up to 84 jobs.

"This project will strengthen midtown Detroit and act as a ]catalyst for a viable residential neighborhood by redeveloping an obsolete building into a vibrant entertainment venue," MEDC President and CEO Michael Finney said in a statement.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz1shtHfWHk
    Good stuff.

Is this the old Sassy Cat?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Is this the old Sassy Cat?
    Yes, and it is under renovation as we speak. I think this story is just announcing it won a state incentive.

There is also a five story apartment building planned next door. On the other side, a new three-story office building and commercial space is already open, and contains Midtown Inc on the first floor with Wayne State University medical group on the top, still at least one retail space is left for rent. Next to that is the former Blue Moon restaurant and is about to open as Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Co's new coffee shop and full-service bar [[featuring wine and specialty drinks).

Good news for that block. Also, Willis-Woodward project is still on the go-ahead for a three story building with retail and apartments. On the other side of the McDonald's, the former Agave restaurant is slated to be renovated into new restaurant space and apartments on top.

In two years time, the area surrounding the Majestic Complex might be the kernel of a bustling entertainment district.

I hope that huge apartment building on Alexandrine can come next.

It's always nice to see one of Detroit's old theatres fixed up, 1,300 seats will be added to Detroit's large Theatre District, continuing its' role as the nations 2nd largest [[after NYC Broadway).

Our supply of unrestored old film houses is running low... with only Albert Kahn's National Theatre [[800 seats) and C. Howard Crane's United Artists Theatre [[2,000 seats) remaining as potential venue space [[between downtown and New Center).

There is one other venue however... but it was never finished. That would be the 900 seat theatre at the top floor of the Masonic Temple. It was framed, but never finished, and has been used for 80 years as storage space. Perhaps with the 4,404 seat Masonic Theatre and 1,585 seat Scottish Rite Theatre within the building, it was never needed.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    This is always good news for the city and for that area. I would love to see some lofts opened up also in that area. Wonderful news!

Any current pics of the inside?

Now this is good URBAN development. Reuse of historic structures, promotion of the arts, maintaining the street wall, etc. Very excited to see this get finished! Anyone know of the progress on the "Institute for Advanced Drinking" that is supposed to open next to Midtown at the other end of the block?

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Now this is good URBAN development. Reuse of historic structures, promotion of the arts, maintaining the street wall, etc.
    Wasn't the Sassy Cat already doing this???

I always thought this was a great photo. The British goth band, Sisters of Mercy outside the Sassy Cat.

Last edited by gcalan; April-18-12 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added caption

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Yes, and it is under renovation as we speak. I think this story is just announcing it won a state incentive.

There is also a five story apartment building planned next door. On the other side, a new three-story office building and commercial space is already open, and contains Midtown Inc on the first floor with Wayne State University medical group on the top, still at least one retail space is left for rent. Next to that is the former Blue Moon restaurant and is about to open as Great Lakes Coffee Roasting Co's new coffee shop and full-service bar [[featuring wine and specialty drinks).

Good news for that block. Also, Willis-Woodward project is still on the go-ahead for a three story building with retail and apartments. On the other side of the McDonald's, the former Agave restaurant is slated to be renovated into new restaurant space and apartments on top.

In two years time, the area surrounding the Majestic Complex might be the kernel of a bustling entertainment district.

I hope that huge apartment building on Alexandrine can come next.
    Man, that's an awesome amount of activity in just that couple blocks. I can not wait to see it when it is all finished.

...and I absolutely agree about the apartment building on Alexandrine. That's just one HUGE eyesore. Really want it rehabbed.

Great picture. Where did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by gcalan View Post
    I always thought this was a great photo. The British goth band, Sisters of Mercy outside the Sassy Cat.

Really great to hear this news.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    Great picture. Where did you find it?
    This picture appeared on one of their original EPs [[vinyl) in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Man, that's an awesome amount of activity in just that couple blocks. I can not wait to see it when it is all finished.

...and I absolutely agree about the apartment building on Alexandrine. That's just one HUGE eyesore. Really want it rehabbed.
    Its a huge eyesore in such a prime locate for rehab. And with the need for rental housing in that area, someone really should rehab it!

I believe you guys are referring to 70 W Alexandrine?

There was a $20M plan in place to renovate it but I believe it fell through.

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/develop...cas.php?msub=5

It's currently on the market for $1,590,000. Steep considering the owner, Steven Wright of Shelby Township, picked it up for $1,080,000 back in early 2007 at the height of the last bubble.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17563...ST-Detroit-MI/

"Its a huge eyesore in such a prime locate for rehab. And with the need for rental housing in that area, someone really should rehab it!"

It's coming soon enough, I'm sure.

Does anyone know at ETA on the five story building adjacent to the Garden Theater, the Metamorphosis at Woodward and Willis or the tear-down and rebuild of the medical and retail complex across the street from the Garden Block?