Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default $40,000 grant to go toward aquarium roof

Some good news:
    $40,000 grant to go toward aquarium roof

In a time when we are inundated by nothing but bad tidings for Detroit, it's good to know there are some positive things going on as well.
    The Aquarium has always had the good will of the Detroit City Council, and now with a sympathetic administration, things are really looking up.
    As proof of this, the Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium now have access to the building and can start using it in a limited capacity.
    Although much still needs to be done, committed volunteers are ready to make a start: Renovation, certification and re-stocking of marine life.
    - So now it is your turn to shine. Put your financial support behind the effort and make it happen.

The Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium Present:
    "A NIGHT AT THE AQUARIUM"
    Saturday, July 25th at 6:00pm to 11:00 pm
    To raise Funds to Restore & Reopen the Belle Isle Aquarium
    $100.00 per person Includes a Magical Evening along with
    Live Music, Strolling Supper, Cash Bar & Silent Auction.

If you can't make it to the event, feel free to donate to through the FOBIA website.

This is great news, congratulations!

Excellent news. Good luck with everything and keep us all posted on developments.

They need $195,000 to fix the roof? Sounds a bit extreme. This is what is stopping them from re-opening?

Don't let Geo. Jackson and the DEGC know that there's an old building still standing.

Lorax Guest

Hope they keep the copper roof intact, I'm always suspicious that scrapping is going on when copper is involved.

Hopefully this is not the case. Donating today.

Wow, this is great. I haven't been to the aquarium in ages and wondered what had happened to it. I will certainly donate.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    They need $195,000 to fix the roof? Sounds a bit extreme. This is what is stopping them from re-opening?
    not really -- depends on what all is required. it's a big roof.

Cranbrook replaced roofing on one of their buildings, a bit larger than the aquarium, and it was over a million

LodgeDodger Guest

This IS good news. Wait until I show this to betterhalf.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    not really -- depends on what all is required. it's a big roof.

Cranbrook replaced roofing on one of their buildings, a bit larger than the aquarium, and it was over a million
    A reliable source tells me that the estimate is probably on the high side. The front roof of the building is copper, but only needs patching. The back is shingle which is in dire need of replacement and has some rotten timber.
    Last edited by esteban; June-18-09 at 10:40 AM.

The entrance is just stunningly beautiful isn't it?