Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Man Shot Outside Downtown Bus Terminal

Pretty sad when it's not even safe outside the terminal at 8:00 am.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012041...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

It really just comes down to basic mathematics and percentages.

There is a growing number of violent criminals in Detroit.

There is a diminishing number of residents of Detroit at home or on the streets of the D at any given time.

The law of averages says the two will overlap at some point and "presto change o" you are now a freshly minted victim of crime.

During a 10 year period [[85-95) while living in the east side area of Detroit, every single member of my family and extended family was a victim of crime in one form or another both violent and felony theft, its the basic law of averages. You live in the D it will touch you eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post

There is a diminishing number of residents of Detroit at home or on the streets of the D at any given time.

The law of averages says the two will overlap at some point and "presto change o" you are now a freshly minted victim of crime.

During a 10 year period [[85-95) while living in the east side area of Detroit, every single member of my family and extended family was a victim of crime in one form or another both violent and felony theft, its the basic law of averages. You live in the D it will touch you eventually.
    I agree with most of what you say, other than the conclusion. I lived in the Denby High district from 1978-1985. And then near Finney from 1985-1996. Now in Corktown from 2009 through present. Neither me, my family, nor any of my friends have been a victim of violent crime.

But I do understand the logic of what you're saying. We need to re-think the norms of behavior in this city.

I'm still curious about what was the motive for this crime?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'm still curious about what was the motive for this crime?
    Sounds like a robbery gone wrong. Who knows?

Good thing someone was thinking and took the victim straight to the hospital.

Who knows how long he may have had to wait?

Default Maybe that's why I moved out of Detroit and out of state

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post

It was time to leave Detroit when:
    1) I was assaulted, attacked by my best friend's [[drug addict, prison) brother
    2) Apt was robbed two times
    3) the manager of our complex stole a fake fur coat

Time to leave the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    It was time to leave Detroit when:
    1) I was assaulted, attacked by my best friend's [[drug addict, prison) brother
    2) Apt was robbed two times
    3) the manager of our complex stole a fake fur coat

Time to leave the state.
    The state doesn't have a high crime rate. Detroit has a high crime rate.

And you moved to Chicago? Seriously? They're #1 in murders in 2012. Even Detroit can't compare.

But, if you're looking on a statewide basis, the Southern states have the highest crime rates. Places like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. I suspect the lax gun laws play a role.

And you moved to Chicago? Seriously? They're #1 in murders in 2012. Even Detroit can't compare.
    Yeah, we're off to a bad start. We had 49 people shot on St. Patty's weekend, 6 of which died, including a 6 year old girl. It's about time for the annual threat from Springfield to deploy the National Guard to the South Side.

Yeah we're past the 100 mark for the year here, like if no one is killed one day, it's two the next. Sad. This is going to be an interesting summer.....
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Yeah, we're off to a bad start. We had 49 people shot on St. Patty's weekend, 6 of which died, including a 6 year old girl. It's about time for the annual threat from Springfield to deploy the National Guard to the South Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

But, if you're looking on a statewide basis, the Southern states have the highest crime rates. Places like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. I suspect the lax gun laws play a role.
    I would argue that it's not the lax gun laws but instead it is the "defense of honor" culture.

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    I would argue that it's not the lax gun laws but instead it is the "defense of honor" culture.
    Most crime involving guns is committed by illegal guns [[I'm sorry, "undocumented guns").

Quote Originally Posted by ordinary View Post
    Or maybe both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The state doesn't have a high crime rate. Detroit has a high crime rate.

Lax gun law probably played a role but I don't think it was the silver bullet [[pun intended).

The 10 states with the highest murder rates in 2010* [[LA, MD, MS, MO, NM, AZ, SC, NV, GA, AL) have an average Brady rating of 9.4, but the average is a little distorted by MD which has a very high gun control rating compared to the others. Removing MD, the remaining states in the top 10 have an average rating of 5.4 out of a possible 100. The 10 states with the lowest murder rates [[UT, HI, ME, MN, ND, WY, ID, IO, VT, NH) have an average Brady rating of 9.8, and that's also a bit distorted by Hawaii, which by far has the strictest gun control of the bottom 10. If you remove Hawaii then the average for those remaining states is 5.3.

So the 10 states with the highest murder rates have essentially the same amount of gun control as the 10 with the lowest, as measured by the Brady Campaign.

If anything, looking at the list, I'd say that region where a state is located is the most accurate predictor of a state's murder rate. Of the 10 states with highest murder rates, 8 of them are in the southeast, and two are in the southwest along the Mexican border [[AZ and NM, which border each other). The 10 states with the lowest rates are split between the western mountain states and New England, excepting MN and HI. This holds even as you extend to the bottom 15, bottom 20. The middle of the list is dominated by the industrial states in the Northeast and Midwest.

State murder rates pulled from here: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murd...ally-and-state

*Michigan had the 11th highest murder rate in 2010.