Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Rhetoric, not reason, in Metro Times News Hits

Regrettable to see the usually admirable Curt Guyette & Crew dust off tired tropes from the '60s today in "coverage" [http://metrotimes.com/news/story.asp?id=14083] of a protest outside The National Summit of biz + gov't leaders downtown:
    The scene symbolized the way insiders gather to make policy while the masses remain on the outside, left only to bear the consequences.
    Huh? Those "insiders" are discussing job training and creation, expanding educational opportunities and incubating American technology -- welcome consequences for "the masses" to bear.

"We're all in this together" has been said more than once at the event, where I serve as a volunteer.

Admittedly, way back when I had more hair and less sense, I may have jabbed a fist [[vertically, not horizontally) and said "right on" to reflexive rhetoric like that in MT . . .

. . . but balanced reflection now shows shades of gray 'tween those black and white, all-right or all-wrong poles.
    Last edited by Reality_Check; June-17-09 at 06:46 AM.

MIRepublic Guest

You know you're reading the Metro Times, right? It's an alternative weekly; I'm surprised their language is even that tame on this issue. You're acting as if they were throwing around a few "bourgeoisie" and "elites".

They're figuring out ways to save the very capitalistic system they fucked up. And yes, Reality Check, we are paying for their greed and stupidity.

I wonder if Curt bumped into Laura Berman as she sped away from the Tent City?

The Metro Times sold out long ago, and is now nothing more than a slightly edgier version of the Detroit Free-News-Press. Guyette, Lessenberry, Brian Smith and the rest of the motley crew are just a bunch of clueless white male heterosexual gender-normative petit bourgeois [[there, i used the "B" word since the Metro Times does not) who think they have a clue what marginalized people are going through. Lessenberry in particular can be very insulting and demeaning to people who do not fit his narrow definition of "normal," although he tends to spew his bigotry in private so as to keep his phony image as a "good open minded liberal" intact.

v:
    Welcome to the forum. It's OK. No need to hold back. Now, tell us how you really feel about the Metro Times columnists!

Quote Originally Posted by vprygoski View Post
    The Metro Times sold out long ago, and is now nothing more than a slightly edgier version of the Detroit Free-News-Press. Guyette, Lessenberry, Brian Smith and the rest of the motley crew are just a bunch of clueless white male heterosexual gender-normative petit bourgeois [[there, i used the "B" word since the Metro Times does not) who think they have a clue what marginalized people are going through. Lessenberry in particular can be very insulting and demeaning to people who do not fit his narrow definition of "normal," although he tends to spew his bigotry in private so as to keep his phony image as a "good open minded liberal" intact.
    Hey now...I have heard some Lessenberry fetus jokes that were completely classy!